Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Treadwrights / Retreads

11K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  craigbru 
#1 ·
I'm hoping to order the mud dawgs on the treadright site. Has anyone run these and have anything they want to say about them. Ive heard alot of things like semi's tires only come apart from retreads and you wont know if the tires was originally a street tire or mud tire... needless to say i need some input

#2 ·
I ran a set of 31's on my last jeep. I loved them! Treadwrights process is completely different from what they use on semi tires. I had mine aired down to 10 psi quite a few times and wheeled them pretty hard with no adverse affects on the tires, what so ever. I am planning on there BFG AT tread pattern for my next set. The Mud dawgs were as loud as youd expect from an MTR, but not what Im looking for on my current project

Edit: I had about 30,000 miles on them when I sold it and the tires still looked brand new.

#3 ·
I have the Road Dogs on my 2003 Avalanche. They were slightly bigger than the previous Michelins that I had on and I had to trim out the plastic slightly on the inside of the wheel well...not a big deal.

The tread is fantastic, the sidewalls were all the same and they are Grapplers. I have about 5000 miles on mine and they are running good. I am very impressed with the quality, they looked like a brand new tire, both inside an out when I got them.

I will purchase Treadwrights again when my TJ needs them.

#4 ·
My step-dad was a cheap SOB who always bought retreads. I was in his car on two occasions when he had a tread separation on the highway. Once was on the NYS Thruway, four hours from home en-route to a family vacation, doing 70 mph and it was hairy for a couple of seconds.

Now granted, I'm talking both of these occasions were back in the 80s and I'm sure there's been technology advancements since then. I know a lot of people run 'em and never have a problem, but I wouldn't have them.

#6 ·
Treadwrights technology is leaps and bounds better than it was in the 80s. Hell, semis run retread while caring upwards of 50 tons of freight. And the treadwright process is even better than the ones the semi's use.

so would you think its wise to buy a set even though i will use them on the highway going to the mountains as well as use offroad for camping and wheeling
Absolutely. I had mine up to 110 on the highway a couple of times. Not smart in a lifted WJ, and I wouldn't do it again, but yeah, its been done. My WJ is a 75% highway, 15% city, and 10% offroad rig. And I wont hesitate to get another set when Im ready for them.

#10 ·
That is probably an average. You have to remember that with retreads, sidewalls are going to be different, thickness of the shell is going to be different, etc. This is why they will always send you a set all made from the same shell. I got all BFG shells with the mud dawg tread pattern and they measured roughly 31.2. But someone else may get Wrangler shells with the same tread pattern and have it measure 30.8.

#12 ·
You can usually request a certain shell. So if you can only afford 4 now, you can order a spare later and just request the same shell as your first four. But then you run the risk of not getting your spare into your rotation and running slightly different sizes due to wear. So, probably best to just pony up for all 5 at the same time.

#17 ·
Just remember that when you get them mounted and balanced, tell the shop to use the STATIC SETTING. There have been numerous people on the forums complaining about vibration with TreadWright tires, and I'll bet it is because they did not follow the instructions to balance them on the STATIC setting only. In fact, not balancing with the static setting will void the tire warranty TreadWright gives you.

Otherwise the tires are awesome. I've used the Wardens and Guard Dogs on a few Jeeps and had zero issues with them. Ice, snow, mud, rocks, roots, towing on the interstate, below zero temps, 100 degree temps, you name it I've done it on TreadWrights and never had one single issue. I'll be putting another set on my new JKU sometime in the coming months.

#18 ·
I am running my fifth set of tires for these guys and have never had a problem I have run out two set of the guard dogs and the wife is on her second set of the bfg allterrain pattern on her cherokee. I had a set of the mud dogs on an old scout and they were great, but i like the guard dog pattern better but they are noisy. all my tires have come with a matched set of cases. really get some stares when people read BFG all terrain and see the guard dog pattern. in my opinion you can;t beat these tires for the price:thumbsup:

#21 ·
Yes, in the 31-33" range, a Treadwright tire will weigh 7-12 lbs. more than the tire they were made on weighed when it was new.

In addition to adding several pounds of weight, Treadwrights are also about .75 to 1.0" taller. So, a 265/70-16 TW tire is the same height as a 265/75-16 "new" tire.

#22 ·
I just received my Guard Dogs yesterday, and I'll mount them tomorrow, but you can see the difference between the current 32x11.5R15 BFG's and the 285/75R16 TreadWrights. Although the TW's are technically only supposed to be 1" taller, you can see they appear to be much more. A little wear on the BFG's as well as a true 33" height on the TreadWrights makes an obvious difference. These things are solid tires!

#28 ·
Tires mounted!

I'm pretty impressed with the way the tires handle. Ride is slightly rougher than with the BFG's, and there is the slightest hint of tread howl, but that's to be expected. No other issues to report. So far I'm very happy, early impressions are very good.

#30 ·
Thanks! I got the kedge. It was only a few bucks more, although I had to wait a little longer to get them.

I know everyone keep saying these tires are heavy, and that's definitely true. That may be the only negative against them for the moment. The Toyo carcasses I got are pretty heavy to begin with. I'm hoping that translates in to durability. What's a few more dollars at the pump, right? Haha. Seriously though, I was looking at mounting the spare to my tailgate temporarily, but after lifting one, there's no way I'd ever consider it. Anyone with a TJ will need an aftermarket carrier.

#31 ·
I've got a wj with E load firestone MT's right now. Spare on the roof rack. Im guessing getting C load guard dogs will be about the same weight. Don't know what carcass to use.. Im waiting on the kedge grip in 265/75/16 to come back in stock.

#33 ·
They've got several different carcasses of course. The Toyo's were the most readily available in my size, and I was fine with that. You could always give them a call and ask what they have available. Sidewall plies and strength are really what you are looking for there.

any idea of how much the tire weighs by itself?
I'm not really sure. I didn't weigh one, but was certain it was as much as my previous BFG's and rims together. Of course the tires are a fair bit bigger too. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

#34 ·
The 285/75-16 "C" rated Guard Dog lists at 63 lbs. But if you get "D" rated ones, or Toyo carcasses (known to be heavy), then they will weight a good bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.