Treadwright Tires: my quick opinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Treadwright Tires: my quick opinion

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-13-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
Muddeprived

Treadwright Tires: my quick opinion

I been researching for a couple weeks on where to buy new meats for my xj. I had high hopes on acquiring some 33x10.5 bfg's from sources recommended on this forum but my unemployed status wouldn't allow me to spend more than $500 so I had to go another route. I've been eyeballing treadwright tires, which used to be high tech retreading, cuz they make cheap tires and the reviews i've read on them have all been positive. I decided what the heck and order up a set of four 265/75/16's, which are 32x10.5's. They were $478 shipped to my door ($340 for just the tires). Fedex managed to put ONE tire on the wrong truck so I had to wait another week for that tire to get re-routed back here but no big deal. Once I got em I had Jack's Independent Service mount and balance em for $32.

The tires are exactly 32" tall. There's no damage to any of the tires and they are pretty much like new. I requested bfg or goodyear casings but the size i picked (265/75 and load range C) left me with only two casings to choose from: michelin and bridgestone. Bfg and Goodyear do not offer load range C casings in that size so I chose Michelin. One of the big reasons for using treadwright, other than the price, is they offer a load range C tire in 16" size. It's very rare to find a C tire in that size and I need C for my light weight jeep.

Here's some pictures:

I ran them in the rear until the missing tire showed up. HOT ROD XJ!

Then the tire showed up and I leveled it out:

To tell you the truth, these ride just like my 30" firestone AT's. There's no typical MT rumble, no shakes, no vibes, just a smooth rolling tire. I'm very pleased with these. :047:

Thought i'd share in case someone was curious about em.....

Oh by the way, they come with a 2 year 24k mile warranty.

Chris

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine

Last edited by Muddeprived; 05-13-2010 at 09:08 AM..
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
masedd
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The Cherokee looks good. Everyone I know who runs treadwrights likes them.
masedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
ComancheKid45
1988 MJ Comanche 

Looks Great......Ive had 31" Treadwrights on my MJ for 3 weeks now and Im plenty happy!
ComancheKid45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
GTEIS300
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got a question.. Does treadwright online list that they have available for sale on there site? I swore the other day I saw more tires on there then what I am finding now.
White Jeep Club Member #75
GTEIS300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEIS300 View Post
I got a question.. Does treadwright online list that they have available for sale on there site? I swore the other day I saw more tires on there then what I am finding now.
It's been the same for me whenever i look on their website.

Today I received an unexpected package in the mail:

cool!

I also put them through a good rain test. We had the worst rain storm I've seen in years. It poured and we had about 10 feet of visibility when driving. The roads were flooded in some spots and there was a bridge that was completely flooded. I drove 1.5 hrs home from the cabin, through this hell-storm, and survived, thanks to these tires. They did not slip at all the entire drive home. With an inch or so of water on the roads, the tires did not hydroplane, which surprised me cuz my previous mudders would do this. There's a 1/2 mile long bridge that we had to cross and the limit is 45 mph. The bridge crosses a river and it's about 200 feet high. I'm coming down this hill at 35 mph due to visibility and all of a sudden I see the bridge is flooded (no drain on it ). With zero time to react I held my breath and watched a wave of water engulf what visibility I had left. There was a wall of water completely surrounding the jeep for about 1/4 way across the bridge, and keep in mind, it's a 200 foot drop if you go over! The jeep held a straight line and didn't hydroplane out of control, which really surprised me cuz something like that would send a car out of control. My gf almost (beep) herself during this action and I admit it was quite frightening!

So far, so good!
Unread 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm thinking long and hard about a set of treadwrights. Does anyone have any experience with their Kedge Grip?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I ran them on a F350 and towed quite a bit with them and they held up fine.

I had the exact same tire except mine was a 285 with a D rating...

Thad

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

this post sold me. ordering mine next week.
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Muddeprived

Not really related to my post but I posted this on my cherokee board and another guy chimed in. He said he had his for 1.5 years now and the casing started peeling back on two of them (he ran them at 40 psi). I told him to call treadwright and see what they say and the next day he posts that Treadwright has shipped two new tires to him at no charge. NICE THey honor their warranty, no questions asked.
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #10
MPETESS10

I want treadwrights, but they dont offer 33's
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #11
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPETESS10 View Post
I want treadwrights, but they dont offer 33's
they do in 16" flavor....
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
MPETESS10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
they do in 16" flavor....
yea but that does me absolutely no good at all when my wheels are 15's. for the price it would cost me to buy a new set of 16" wheels AND a set of treadwrights, it would make more sense to just grab a set of 15" 33's
MPETESS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPETESS10 View Post
yea but that does me absolutely no good at all when my wheels are 15's. for the price it would cost me to buy a new set of 16" wheels AND a set of treadwrights, it would make more sense to just grab a set of 15" 33's
True.

You can still get 16" steelies and treadwrights cheaper or equal to a set of 33" mudders, depending on the brands.

For instance, 33" bfg's are about $190-$200 each so that's about $800 right there. Treadwright 33's in 16" flavor are about $510 shipped and 16" cragers are about $250. Pretty much the same BUT the downside is D or E load tires in 16's.

But it is easier just to get a new set of 33's like you said.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.