Tread Wright TreadWright tire report / review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tread Wright TreadWright tire report / review

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Tread Wright TreadWright tire report / review

I am going to share my TreadWright experience on two different websites .
Jeepforum.com and RV.net
I am a Dirtbike/Dualsporter , RV'er and Jeeper and I visit many Forums on these subjects.

On this subject I think these two websites could benefit from this info so I will post links to both.

I looked for reviews for a few weeks and mostly found good reviews from people who "have had them" only found a couple bad out of hundreds of good.
Most of the bad comments were from people who have not tried them. They all said the same thing " Don't you see the treads on the side of the road?"
Well who's to say those aren't new tires?

If you Don't know from experience running Tread Wrights please don't comment !!!!

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#24142231

Unread 07-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I recently ordered 8 tires from Tread Wright .
4 . 31x10.5/15 Guard Dogs for my Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 Sport .
4 . 265x70/17 Wardens for my 2005 Ford F250 PSD 4 door short bed.

They took about a week to find and ship the tires and they arrived about 3 or 4 day after they were sent.
I had them balanced the next day.

I asked that the Wardens not have a date code no older than 2008 and that they came on either a Michelin or BFG carcass . And E rated.
I asked that the Guard Dogs Have a date code no older than 2006 and that they came on either Goodyear Wrangler or BFG or Michelin carcasses .
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep got 31x10.5/15 Guard Dogs
They are on sale now for $89.75 x4 = $359
Shipping was I think $ 26 at tire x 4 = $104
Mounting was $20 "total" a tire x 4 = $80
total cost for tires was.................................. $ 543
Best price I could get for a comparable tire locally "SoCal Corona" " America's Tire"
was $929.39 Mounted balanced tires disposed.......
A difference of $386.38

The actual tire height is 31" so its more like a 32" tire.....
It is a tread pattern from the old Goodyear Wrangler MTRs the one I got came on BFG AT carcasses.
I find that to be funny/ironic .
When I got them they had a baked look. You could see they have seen some heat in the retreading proses .
I think they mounted OK the installer didn't say anything weird . But he did notice the tread was an MT and it said AT on the sidewall...
Once on and driven on they look normal.
It rides about the same as my old BFG ATs maybe a little bit "squishy" but after my long trip + wheeling I can't tell any difference.
I run about 29 psi in front and 27 psi in back. The chalk test shows this to be a good pressure for now will check again later..
They do fine on the road .They are louder than the ATs were butt that seems to have quieted down to , But still you get a wherrr noise. Hey its a MT what do you expect.

Off road they worked really good , I took a trip to Mammoth and they climbed everything with no complaints .

I really like these tires I got a little bigger size without the wider tire so I can use stock rims and offset... They Look great . Preform great and cost almost half price.
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On the Ford F250 PSD I got the Warden 265x70/17 E rated
They are on sale now for $92.50 X 4 = $370
Shipping I think it was $27 x 4 = $108
Mounting total was $20 X 4 = $ 80
Total Price mount Out the door = $558
Again the best price I could find around town "SoCal Corona"
was $1,077.29 a difference of $519.29 very close to Half.

The actual tire height is about 32" the old 265x70/17 BFG Rugged Trail TAs were more like 31"s
They Look exactly like a BFG AT and they even came on the BFG carcasses .
They didn't have as much of a baked look as the Guard Dogs did.

The installer did notice a hop " like it was out of round on one of the tires and showed it to me then he noticed the next one was a little less hop then the last one had a worse hop and seemed to have a wobble. That one also took 11 ounces to balance.
Great!! Just what I need.....

So I take a test drive .
They felt squishy like driving a boat. I have read that other had this reaction and that they would break in get better.... .
The next day I checked the air and they only had 60 psi. I chalked them and put in about 65 psi they felt less squishy but they do feel like going from a Bias to a radial which may be the BFG Rugged Trail TAs may have been Bias. ply.

I am noticing a vibration..... I drove it to work about a week and it is consistent at different speeds and random at others.
I notice it at low speeds and at Highway speeds too.

I can't figure out if its the three the installer noticed or the one bad one......

So I decided not to drive it on my big trip to Mammoth both because its uncomfortable and because I'm not sure its safe to have my family in .

I had my wife drive the Mini van And I drove the Jeep with its new Tread Wrights which were fine instead of flat towing the Jeep with the F250...

Today I sent an Email Explaining this to Tread Wright . But its late friday on a holiday weekend so I don't expect a reply till tuesday.
I have read that the have good customer service so I hope they can settle this for me. And then I can right two good reviews instead of just one...
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

This is a picture of the newly installed tire
img_4715.jpg  
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been emailing them and they said they will be sending me two more tires.

They recommend you balance them in the Static setting rather than the Dynamic setting. What that means I'm not 100% sure.
Because they add balancing weight to the tire in the retreading process and the Dynamic setting can counteract that and cause vibration.

My installer told me today that they did use the static setting ...

I thought for sure they were going to ask me to rebalance the tires or something. Because he was asking a lot of questions about the weights.

Everything I've read about the company told me they would make it right.

It sounds like they are going to do just that.

I may be a little inconvenienced , butt so far I have saved 50% on these tires and having to have two more tires mounted still may be worth it.....???

The warranty says I'll have to pay shipping of the new tires and they may have me ship the bad ones back and I may have to pay for that .
I don't know if thats the case or not yet.

If thats the case it is about $26 a tire for shipping .

If I have to pay for four I'll still have saved $400 and if just two then $450.....
Unread 07-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
Indy

I've been running them on my f150 DD for quite a while, 1 hasn't balanced right despite repeated efforts so I'm going to try a liquid balance. For the price I have no complaints with a little vibration at 80mph. They replaced a set of continentals that were complete garbage brand new, finally had 1 explode on the interstate.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How long have you had them?
They will probly replace it.

They are sending me two tires to replace to two That are bad.
They are also balancing issues , or I should say the tire is out of round and it vibrates so it feels out of balance.........

Also they recommend you have them balanced in the static mode .
They say the dynamic mode could result in a counter action between the wheel balance and the weights built into the tire.
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update....

I received two new tires in the mail.

They meet the original criteria that I asked for.

They sent them without charge and did not ask for the old ones back...

The first one that was changed was the worst one. the new one spun strait and true and balanced fine ... It dose not have half the weight as the bad tire had.

The second one replaced the second worst tire ( right rear).
The new one had a slighter twist / wobble or whatever.... It took a little more weight than the other new tire..

I've been driving on it about a week.
It doesn't have that same shaking vibration at predictable speeds.
Butt It does seem to vibrate slightly some times.
Like when turning right maybe or going over rough road .
Its tough to discern since the F250 rides so rough in the first place its hard to tell if its the road or the truck.

In comparison the JEEP TJ never gets this vibration and rides very soft.
BUTT it is a C rated tire and the F250 got E rated tires.

I am going to drive it some more and play with air pressures....

The TJ is Great handles great off and on road.
The noise is not as loud as when new .
They are just great......
Unread 08-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Cummins4life

threadwright LT235/80R17

I recently purchased Threadwright Wardens size LT235/80R17 for for my cummins dually. I towed my 30ft toyhauler trailer up interstate 101 to pismo beach. My only complaint is the squishy break-in period. It was deathly scary because with the newer thread there is a lot of body roll. The winds didn't help either. But on the other note they hooked up well in the sand without getting buried while in 2wd pulling 13,ooo pounds! Overall it was a 600 mile trip, made it home safe and sound with no tire issues! Very satisfied with my purchase not to mention the money saved!
Cummins4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles did you drive before they stopped riding like $&!%??

I posted this as a reply on the other thread VVVVV

I am running them a 80 psi now.

They ride kinda rough at any psi ... Kinda get a weird vibration when I get into some rough pavement.
The F250 already rides rough , they just seem to accentuate it further....

They are still "squishy" . Example when turning at speed the back end swings out farther than normal , then it kinda fish tails , it comes back a little...
Its hard to get used to. Its like going from a Bias ply tire to a Radial tire.......
I was running BFG Rugged Trail TA's before which I believe have a similar Radial as the BFG AT carcasses that I got ..

I towed a toyhauler with them this weekend. I had a jeep inside the trailer for the first time. Plus first time towing with these tires. The fish tail thing was a little unnerving on the 38 down from Big Bear.......I'm not sure how much the Jeep affected the turning and how much was the tires. The jeep was about 1000 lbs more than I normally carry.

I just don't get it. My Jeep's C rated Treadwrights are Great and I will get those again.

BUTT..... I will NOT be getting another set of E rated Treadwrights for the F250. I am even contemplating craigslisting these and getting something else...

Treadwright is reputed as having a great customer service and they did send me two new tires with out much hassle. (One of which had a hop to it on the balancer like the other two bad ones)....(Not as bad though)..
How many tires do I have to go through to get a good set?

At this point I would recommend against the E rated tires.....Or putting them on a big truck anyway.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #12
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mike, thanks for your detailed reviews. I have the same squirmy, fishtailing sense with my 29" ATGs on my TJ.

It sounds like the C-rated tires are good on the Jeep, though? I am considering the Guard Dog in 265/75-16.

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The squirmy feeling is gone.
The Jeep never really had it too bad but the metric tire on 17" wheels in the F250 did.

I don't know if I'm used to it or what But It feels a lot better now.

The vibration is un-noticeable in the F250 to But it still rides rougher than the old tires did....

As of now the Tires are good on the F250

On the Jeep they are still good but I'm noticing under hard braking or turing they squeal more than the BFG AT's did....
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Cummins4life

I will try to post some up. I have put less than 1,000 miles on my threadwrights. Not sure how many miles I will need to put on them for the fishtail affect to go away!!
Cummins4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
retread , tire , treadwright , review , report

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.