Tread Wright Tires...Any Good? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tread Wright Tires...Any Good?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #76
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
I don't recall anyone saying they didn't like the crawlers.
Don't recall my post saying that people didn't like them. Maybe I worded it wrong.

My question is why did you pick the Gaurd Dog pattern over the other 2 patterns. Most people in this thread have talked about the GD pattern and I want to see if their is a reason they like it better.

Unread 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #77
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think the Guard Dog looks like a factory tire and the Crawler looks like a retread tire...

And the Guard Dog is really more of an aggressive AT and the Crawler looks like a half worn out mud tire ......
Unread 09-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #78
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
I think the Guard Dog looks like a factory tire and the Crawler looks like a retread tire...

And the Guard Dog is really more of an aggressive AT and the Crawler looks like a half worn out mud tire ......
I went with the Guard Dog because it fits more with they type of driving and wheeling my wife does. She will drive the rig every day but wheel it on mild/moderate trails. With the type of soil we have here in WI the BFG AT patterns tend to muck up pretty good leaving you with slicks.

The MTR pattern is a nice go between between an AT and a serious mud tire. Basically it fits better for what we will be using the rig for.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #79
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

wish they still did the 33s on 15"s discontinued.... boo!
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #80
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

I would pick them up if they had a larger 15" selection. I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra $200 on new rims when I could use it from a brand new tire anyway. Now if I came across some CL rims, or maybe a junkyard set of stock 16"s then I could see myself picking up the metric 285/75 which is equivelant of a 33x11.50 which is nice because I like skinnier tires anyway.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #81
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
wish they still did the 33s on 15"s discontinued.... boo!
you shouldn't limit yourself to 15 inch wheels. There is nothing wrong with running 16's or 17's with bigger tires. you have to draw the line somewhere though

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #82
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I received my 31 by 10.5/15 Guard Dog MT/R's today. All 5 of them on a 3 ply BFG AT KO casing. My first impression is that they were very clean. All of the marks made in the retreading process were buffed out and they look very good. You can tell that they are retreaded tires but they are very solid.

There are no gaps in the tread and it basically looks perfect. As you can tell from the above photo you can see where they joined the tread to the casing. I spoke with TW about their process of creating the new tread. I was surprised to hear that it isn't something that is just glued on. They use a computer automated process to add new rubber to the casing after preparing it for the mating. After the new rubber is cured it is given the design.

I was assured by TW that they balance test and examine the quality of each unit that goes out.

Here are some more pictures.

One of the things I noticed about the casings is that they are well broken in. I have had tires shipped to me in the past. They were all brand new tires. My TSL sidewalls were very stiff and took a while to break in. I guess I don't have to wait for these sidewalls to loosen up.

They will likely be mounted and balanced on 15/8 aluminum wheels within the next week. More pictures and more evaluation will be on the way.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #83
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you shouldn't limit yourself to 15 inch wheels. There is nothing wrong with running 16's or 17's with bigger tires. you have to draw the line somewhere though
I can never find a good 16 inch rim with the right spacing that i want for cheap. if i find some used 16s on craigslist ill grab them quick. Whats the equal size in metric sizing? (equil to 33s) not to concerned on width though
Unread 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM   #84
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I received my 31 by 10.5/15 Guard Dog MT/R's today. All 5 of them on a 3 ply BFG AT KO casing. My first impression is that they were very clean. All of the marks made in the retreading process were buffed out and they look very good. You can tell that they are retreaded tires but they are very solid.

There are no gaps in the tread and it basically looks perfect. As you can tell from the above photo you can see where they joined the tread to the casing. I spoke with TW about their process of creating the new tread. I was surprised to hear that it isn't something that is just glued on. They use a computer automated process to add new rubber to the casing after preparing it for the mating. After the new rubber is cured it is given the design.

I was assured by TW that they balance test and examine the quality of each unit that goes out.

Here are some more pictures.

Nice! Just curious, did you measure the height to see if they are a true 31 inches?
Unread 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #85
Muddeprived

Interesting. Do they make the 15's and 16's differently? My 16's have a divider going along the middle of the tread and it throws off the design a little bit. Your tires don't have this. I have 16's though.

Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #86
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Interesting. Do they make the 15's and 16's differently? My 16's have a divider going along the middle of the tread and it throws off the design a little bit. Your tires don't have this. I have 16's though.

I don't have a line going through the center so I don't know what that is about. I couldn't find my tape measure this afternoon to see if they are 31"

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #87
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a link that helped me understand what I was buying.

Understanding Retreading

It is a PDF file and requires Adobe Reader or a comparable open source reader.

To answer a question asked above on the actual tire height. I measured this morning and they are 30.5ish inches tall. I'm sure this has something to do more with the casings used than the tread added to the tire.

Other casings I imagine might be taller or shorter depending on the brand.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 09-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #88
Muddeprived

Quote:
Here is a link that helped me understand what I was buying.

Understanding Retreading

It is a PDF file and requires Adobe Reader or a comparable open source reader.

To answer a question asked above on the actual tire height. I measured this morning and they are 30.5ish inches tall. I'm sure this has something to do more with the casings used than the tread added to the tire.

Other casings I imagine might be taller or shorter depending on the brand.
That should come out to 31" when aired up. Mine were 265/75/16's and came to 32" tall unmounted and about 32.5" aired up.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #89
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

is tread wright the only place that does offroad retreads?
Unread 09-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #90
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
is tread wright the only place that does offroad retreads?
I bet with some searching you could find something. I haven't found any as well known as TreadWright. maybe Stone Tire, but haven't heard anything from them in a long time.

Check out my Classifieds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.