Tread Wright Tires...Any Good? - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tread Wright Tires...Any Good?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #196
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

I'm curious, what kind of "detailed instruction" did TW give the installer? What has to be done differently when mounting these then mounting an off the shelf tire?

Unread 04-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #197
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i know one thing is they balance their tires before they ship them. when the installer balances them mounted on the wheel, they are actually trying to compensate for the wheel rather than the tires. i ran into that situation on my last set of TW tires. the installer had a ton of wheel weights stuck on my wheels and they rode like crap. pulled off all the weights and now they are fine. no issues at all.
that was just my experience. i'm definitely a TW fan and will continue to buy their tires. i will also just have the installer mount them without balancing them.
Unread 04-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #198
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

The tires are so simple to balance that it goes against the logic of every tire mounting guru I met in the last week.
Next time I will keep it more simple than the simple instructions provided.

Step one: Spin mounted tire using the Static (single number) setting and put weights in the Static position.
Step two: Put half the weight on the inside of the rim and half the weight on the outside of the rim in the same location (if static reading calls for 8 oz, then 4 oz on both inner and outer sides)
DONE!

Tire guru's brain will explode but if he spins it again it will come out perfect, even if there appears to be lumps or wiggles. Drives perfect up to 80mph, no vibrations.
I recommend going to some crappy little tire place where you can watch and make sure they follow the SIMPLE procedure. Walmart is free lifetime balance and rotation so try if you are up to it.
Motophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #199
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I just ordered my own set of Guard Dog's. Went with the 265/70R16 because, well, budget boost (for now). Anyway, I went with load range D because I wasn't sure what all the (P) range consisted of... I got an email early this morning from customer service telling me that they didn't have any Kedge Grip in stock (which is what I ordered), but they do have a set of regular's ready to ship this week. From all I've read here and on other sources, the Kedge Grip is worth every bit of the $10 extra/tire. So I opted to wait on the KG option, seeing as I won't be home for another 2 months due to a deployment and can afford to wait it out. Still waiting to hear back with a confirmation of my decision, but I am impressed by TW's customer service so far. Keeping my fingers crossed for a GOOD set the first time around, since I will only have 2 weeks at home to play with them
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #200
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i had the Kedge Grip on my first set of their Axiom AT tires. they did quite well here in northern Minnesota. almost as good as studded tires really. btw, chains and studded tires are illegal here in Mn. they were worth the extra money for me then. the set i got last summer, i didn't get the Kedge Grip so i'll have to see how they do next winter. they are on my cj5a which spent this past winter in the middle of an engine swap.
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #201
Muddeprived

Ok I think I have a problem here. Check out the pix:

These are 235/75/R15 crawlers from Treadwright. They are two years old with a bout 8-9k miles on them. Three of the four are doing this. I have guard dogs that are almost 7 years old with 20-some thousand miles on them and still like 80% tread remaining but they do not look like these at all. They are still mint! I emailed treadwright twice but got no reply and it's been a few weeks.

Does anyone's tires look similar? I'm not really worried but the concern is there.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:02 AM   #202
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Ok I think I have a problem here. Check out the pix:

These are 235/75/R15 crawlers from Treadwright. They are two years old with a bout 8-9k miles on them. Three of the four are doing this. I have guard dogs that are almost 7 years old with 20-some thousand miles on them and still like 80% tread remaining but they do not look like these at all. They are still mint! I emailed treadwright twice but got no reply and it's been a few weeks.

Does anyone's tires look similar? I'm not really worried but the concern is there.
You got old casings. They're probably older than 6 years, so you'll get cracking and separating. That's the only downside to TreadWrights, really.
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #203
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
You got old casings. They're probably older than 6 years, so you'll get cracking and separating. That's the only downside to TreadWrights, really.
But it's not the old casing that's separating/cracking. It's above the edge of the retreaded portion of the sidewall so it's the new cap that's doing this.

Unless you meant that the old tire causes the new cap to crack?
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:01 AM   #204
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

But it's not the old casing that's separating/cracking. It's above the edge of the retreaded portion of the sidewall so it's the new cap that's doing this.

Unless you meant that the old tire causes the new cap to crack?
It's a possibility. Not very likely, but possible.
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #205
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

That doesn't look good.
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #206
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

i'm assuming you sent those pics with your email. i'd give them a call for sure. iirc, they have a 2 year warranty so depending on how close you are to that, they should take care of you.
Unread 06-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #207
Muddeprived

Got a reply through my gmail account. (Note: Comcast does not seem to be able to send emails to Treadwright for some reason but gmail works. )

"Chris,

I was looking at the pictures that you have sent over , and it seems to be some cracking where the tread meets the casings . Yes , you might want to replace the tires. I was looking at your order and your well pasted the two year warranty .
I do apologize , i wish i could help you out.

Sincerely ,
Erik "

Not exactly helpful to me but I can't expect them to be since I passed the warranty period. I gotta think this over and decide if I want to deal with Treadwright again.
Unread 06-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #208
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Eh, sometimes **** just happens. I'd wager their support/response might be slow yet due to them moving and upgrading all their stuff to B2B. That's not an excuse but more of just a possible reason. There's nothing I hate more than a customer service department that doesn't respond quickly even if it's just to say, "Hey, we got your email. We're really busy with things right now, but we will get to you as soon as possible." I mean, how hard is it really to check an email inbox once or more per day and let people know they're not being ignored?

I'm a fan of Treadwright and a pretty understanding guy, but this one instance of someone saying that multiple emails went unanswered for weeks is enough to have already started turning me off to Treadwright (this is assuming your gmail email was sent weeks ago, too). That's just inexcusable. I bet I'm not the only one who'll ever read this and feel that way--potentially a lot of lost customers or missed opportunities because someone couldn't be bothered to stay on top of their email account. Sad. Hopefully someone at Treadwright is perceptive enough to recognize how they screwed-up here and learn a lesson.

Speaking of bead-to-bead, I wonder if that new method of theirs would provide significantly greater protection from something like this occurring...

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #209
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Eh, sometimes **** just happens. I'd wager their support/response might be slow yet due to them moving and upgrading all their stuff to B2B. That's not an excuse but more of just a possible reason. There's nothing I hate more than a customer service department that doesn't respond quickly even if it's just to say, "Hey, we got your email. We're really busy with things right now, but we will get to you as soon as possible." I mean, how hard is it really to check an email inbox once or more per day and let people know they're not being ignored?

I'm a fan of Treadwright and a pretty understanding guy, but this one instance of someone saying that multiple emails went unanswered for weeks is enough to have already started turning me off to Treadwright (this is assuming your gmail email was sent weeks ago, too). That's just inexcusable. I bet I'm not the only one who'll ever read this and feel that way--potentially a lot of lost customers or missed opportunities because someone couldn't be bothered to stay on top of their email account. Sad. Hopefully someone at Treadwright is perceptive enough to recognize how they screwed-up here and learn a lesson.

Speaking of bead-to-bead, I wonder if that new method of theirs would provide significantly greater protection from something like this occurring...
My comcast emails went unanswered but my gmail message was sent the day before yesterday and they replied the next day so I'm assuming comcast servers and treadwright servers don't mesh well. I've had issues with comcast not sending emails or me not receiving certain emails. But yeah I hate when emails do go unanswered, forcing you to call, which is difficult for me because i'm hearing impaired and cannot hear on a phone.

Considering my issue, where the cracks and gaps are occurring above the tread cap edge, I don't know if B2B would be any different. If it was occurring on the edge of the cap, where it was starting to unpeel off the casing then yeah I would think B2B would work better. I sent a reply their message asking about the B2B tires and if they are prone to something like this as well.

I was thinking of getting 31x10.5R15 B2B Guard dogs, since my other regular guard dogs have lasted all these years and still got another 4-6 years left in the tread, but I don't know if I want to take the chance again. I do love the GD tires cuz they look awesome, perform great in all conditions, and last freakin forever!

I'll see what Treadwright says about the B2B tires.
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #210
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

I've used the Guard Dog and the Warden and I had great success with both of them in every condition and usage imaginable which I have talked about in many threads. But.... here is my beef with the new B2B design they are using: First of all it adds even more weight to an already heavy tire. The remolding process adds 8-12 lbs of weight to the tires in the 30-32" sizes. If you get a B2B tire, then you're also adding weight to the sidewalls as well. So what that means is that a set of these Treadwrights can add as much as 60 lbs. of unsprung weight to your Jeep. This destroys fuel economy, braking, accel, and can wear out joints faster and if you have any signs of death wobble it will make that worse as well. Weight is bad. And B2B makes an already heavy tire worse. Second, it covers up all of the original manufacturer info. You have no idea when the tire was originally made, what the original weight capacity was, what the original brand was, or anything else. The B2B mold covers up all of that info and you are getting a "mystery" tire. I do not like this.

I am a big fan of Treadwright and I like the idea of keeping tires out of the landfill for a few more years of life, but I don't like their new molds. And also, once you add shipping costs you will find that tires they sell are approaching the prices of brand new tires now. For example, a set of Treadwright Wardens in 265 size runs over $500 shipped. A set of brand new ATs can be purchased from discounttiredirect.com for the same money. Granted, different tread patterns but then again the old BFG tread pattern sucks anyway.

This is why I haven't bought Treadwrights in the last two years.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.