Tread Wright Tires...Any Good? - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tread Wright Tires...Any Good?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #181
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Problem w/the new treadwrights are the side walls.

In most cases you can't specify a carcass or 3 ply side wall. I called them and some were available but they were phasing them out.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #182
cdawall
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Its a radial if you cut the 2 ply you are pretty likely to cut the 3 ply. Not to mention ply thickness has more to with it than number of plys. Hence pitbull tires only use a 2 ply sidewall on their radials yet they don't tend to cut through.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #183
HobieSun
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I am looking to put either 245/65R17's or 235/65R17's on my stock height 97 SE. I have a small concern. The 245's have a max psi of 44. The 235's only have a max of 35psi. I normally run around 32, but a little concerned that they are maxed at 35. Also they only have one tread design for either sizes and are different. I can save myself about $150 with these tires shipped.
HobieSun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #184
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieSun View Post
Ok, I am looking to put either 245/65R17's or 235/65R17's on my stock height 97 SE. I have a small concern. The 245's have a max psi of 44. The 235's only have a max of 35psi. I normally run around 32, but a little concerned that they are maxed at 35. Also they only have one tread design for either sizes and are different. I can save myself about $150 with these tires shipped.
I don't think you need to run 32 psi with the 235's considering the max load is 1929 lbs.

I always take the max load the tire has on the sidewall and then multiply that by four and compare it to the jeep's weight. Usually the tires I choose are twice the weight of the jeep so I end up around 1/2 to 3/4 of the max psi.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #185
Rodeomonkey40

I Know this has probably been discussed countless times but I have to ask. I have a 2012 Rubicon 2 Door that is all stock. It's getting that time where I need to buy new tires. I don't mind buying 4 new stock BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM 255/75/R17's, but I would love to go wider. How wide can I go without any modifications or rubbing? I don't want to lift the Jeep and I don't want to replace the fenders or have to install spacers. I love the stock look and would love it even more if she just had a wider stance.
Rodeomonkey40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #186
whiskytango785
1994 XJ Cherokee 

35 psi is a nice fool proof pressure to run and most passenger tires max psi is 44 you never ever want to run the max because of road surface friction causes heat build up and raises the pressure in the tire. On top of this air pressure sensors in newer vehicles only allow for a 4-5 psi drop before the light on the dash comes on ( for your average gas and go person)
whiskytango785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #187
whiskytango785
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Also to achive stance the most effictive way is to change the wheels most jeeps have positive offset on the wheels so to widen you should look for zero offest wheels or negative offset wheels just remember the positve makes the center closer to the outer edge of the wheel and negative offset wheels the distance between the center and outer edge is greater
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #188
Indy

Most of us folks refer to backspacing, not offset. 0 backspace has the mounting surface as deep in the wheel as possible, moves the tire out as far as possible, widens the stance.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #189
whiskytango785
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Both terms are correct. Just remember the if your "backspacing" puts the wheel center to the very inside edge you will widen but also stress ball joints and studs by hanging all that wieght that far out.
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #190
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am so jealous of all of you who have had good luck with Treadwright. Maybe when they changed location to Houston something changed? All 4 of my Guard Dogs are too far out of whack to balance even per Treadwrights directions. I can't get an email or phone call back from warranty dept. or customer service. So far just the run-around and lies. It is now my duty in life to warn any potential Treadwright customer to stay far away. I will chime in on any Treadwright thread I come across and report to the BBB. Terrible product and terrible service in my case, which I find hard to believe based on all of the great reviews that led me to make the purchase.
Motophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #191
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motophile View Post
I am so jealous of all of you who have had good luck with Treadwright. Maybe when they changed location to Houston something changed? All 4 of my Guard Dogs are too far out of whack to balance even per Treadwrights directions. I can't get an email or phone call back from warranty dept. or customer service. So far just the run-around and lies. It is now my duty in life to warn any potential Treadwright customer to stay far away. I will chime in on any Treadwright thread I come across and report to the BBB. Terrible product and terrible service in my case, which I find hard to believe based on all of the great reviews that led me to make the purchase.
Whoa relax there. You are the first person I read that reported problems with Treadwright's customer service. Don't go bashing them already. They just moved (not sure if they are settled yet), so give em another try or wait a bit. I've emailed them countless times and always got a nice discussion from their CS.

I'm on my third set of these tires and all three sets have used very very little weights to balance. Are you sure it's not the guy balancing your tires or your wheels? I took my 2nd set to Pepboys a couple years ago and they could not get them to balance and refused to listen to me (told em to rotate the tire 180 on the wheel) so I took em to Midas and voila, perfect balance and its been 2 years of trouble-free smoothness.
Unread 04-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #192
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

Relax here indeed. All is well. Tires mounted and balanced. Have not went for a speed run yet but felt great at just over 50mph. In the end, WalMart is king. Took a while to make contact but once I spoke to Susanne in customer service she helped out immensely. She called tire shop where I had trouble and I think it is best if I don't show my face around there because I get the feeling she taught those guys a thing or two. I called every place around trying to get these tires mounted EXCEPT WalMart. She suggested WalMart, emailed me detailed instructions, and I was off to WallyWorld. The tire guy understood the directions but did not understand why so I got in touch with Susanne and she answered all of his questions. He still seemed doubtful but followed the procedure. One wheel took 11 oz. to balance and seemed kind of squirrelly. Susanne is sending me a replacement and letting me keep the squirrel as a spare. As much trouble as I was having getting these things balanced I was swearing them off from future consideration. Now I am not so sure. I am hoping they perform as great for me as they have for everyone here and then I will be a customer for life. Thanks to Susanne!
Unread 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM   #193
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motophile View Post
Relax here indeed. All is well. Tires mounted and balanced. Have not went for a speed run yet but felt great at just over 50mph. In the end, WalMart is king. Took a while to make contact but once I spoke to Susanne in customer service she helped out immensely. She called tire shop where I had trouble and I think it is best if I don't show my face around there because I get the feeling she taught those guys a thing or two. I called every place around trying to get these tires mounted EXCEPT WalMart. She suggested WalMart, emailed me detailed instructions, and I was off to WallyWorld. The tire guy understood the directions but did not understand why so I got in touch with Susanne and she answered all of his questions. He still seemed doubtful but followed the procedure. One wheel took 11 oz. to balance and seemed kind of squirrelly. Susanne is sending me a replacement and letting me keep the squirrel as a spare. As much trouble as I was having getting these things balanced I was swearing them off from future consideration. Now I am not so sure. I am hoping they perform as great for me as they have for everyone here and then I will be a customer for life. Thanks to Susanne!
Wow that is quite interesting that they would recommend walmart. I've never had much luck there. Last time I went there they stripped my lug nuts and came back and told me it was my fault.

That is awesome they are letting you keep the square tire as a spare.

If you don't mind asking, what kind of wheels did you put the tires on?
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #194
idiot magnet
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The Walmart here wouldn't mount my 33's because they said they were too big for their machines..LOL
I'm on my 2nd set of treadwrights and have 4 years and close to 40k miles on them. Had one go bad on me a few weeks ago but the issue was with the sidewall of the carcass tire and most likely from the rock crawling I do. My first set on my old yj lasted 6 years and had a bunch of miles on them with no issues at all.
Getting ready to order 35's from them.
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Indyorv.com[/FONT][/FONT]
idiot magnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #195
Motophile
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yah WalMart actually did a great job. Even torqued each lug nut. But the WalMart guy forgot to tell me to call TW once the tires were mounted and didn't tell me TW was sending out a replacement. I was surprised when Susanne called back after hours on a Friday when she got concerned about me not calling back to check on the install. Today I will put some highway miles on these things and I have to cross several fields and ditches after that. The tires are just mounted on the stock 17" wheels. I can already feel a difference from the stock tires, as expected from an MT on the pavement. Looks much better too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.