Tread Wright Tires...Any Good? - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tread Wright Tires...Any Good?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #166
03ranger4oh

I could get a set of 31x10.5x15's MT's shipped to my door for $440 bucks. That's pretty hard to say no to for new tires...

03ranger4oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #167
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey-D View Post
...but apparently have changed compounds...
Is there substantial evidence to support this claim? Don't say something if you have no proof.

Quote:
...the set I have on my dually right now are at half thread with only 6600 Miles on them.
Your dually also weighs twice as much as our Jeeps.

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #168
WXman
2001 WJ 

I don't care WHAT you put the tires on, the fact is that if you're at half-tread with only 6,600 miles on the tires, then the tires are not your problem. The alignment must be WAY off on your truck.

Treadwright says they use truck-grade rubber compound and 40,000 miles is typical with a set of them. Obviously that means some guys will get less and some will get more. But if most are getting 40K then it's a good deal.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #169
Joey-D

The evidence I have is that I ran them on my Duramax, still looked new after 2 years and 15K miles. Sold that truck, was so impressed with them that not only did I buy them again, but I also put together a group buy. My personal tires are showing significant wear at 6600 miles. These tires have taken less load and abuse then my last set. On my old Duramax dually, I used that truck solely to pull a 2 car wedge trailer. On my new cummins, I run half the time with no trailer, the rest with a single car gooseneck. Besides that, the two other sets purchased at the same time as me are wasted. My cousin got 19K on his Cummins dually. My buddy got 15K on his s-10 blazer. Roughly the same weight as the jeep. And now that I think about it, My other buddy, Richy, shot though a set on his 3/4 cummins not ever pulling a trailer. The real deal BGFs that got 60K were on a 1 ton cummins that pulled a camper and pontoon boat. These tires were all different size and load ranges.

Mine 6600 miles Half Worn 285/75R17 Load Range E
Blazer 265/75R16 15K Idiot Load Range D
Cousins Cummins 19K 265/75R16 Load Range E
Richys Cummins 10-15K 285/75R17 Load Range E

I understand $440 looks great for 4 tires but then do the math.

$440 ($105 a Tire)
+ 93.72 (23.42 shipping each tire)
+ 80 ($20 each mounting and balancing)
+ 20 ($5 each disposal)
------------------
$633.72

Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar from Tirerack.com
$756.00 ($189 Tire)
+104.96 (shipping)
+ 80 ($20 each mounting and balancing)
+ 20 ($5 each disposal)
----------------------------------
$960.96

So if the treadwrights get 20K and the Wranglers get 40K, you will save $306.48.
So if the treadwrights get 20K and the Wranglers get 60K, you will save $940.20.
Joey-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #170
Joey-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I don't care WHAT you put the tires on, the fact is that if you're at half-tread with only 6,600 miles on the tires, then the tires are not your problem. The alignment must be WAY off on your truck.

Treadwright says they use truck-grade rubber compound and 40,000 miles is typical with a set of them. Obviously that means some guys will get less and some will get more. But if most are getting 40K then it's a good deal.
I have 6600 miles in mine and the tread depths are 8/32 on the outers duallys, 10/32 on the inners and 14/32 on the fronts. Factory is 17/32".
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #171
Joey-D

Not to mention that if it were just my truck having this problem, then maybe we could blame it on alignment or load or being a dually. But I have witnessed 4 different vehicles blow through these ranging from a blazer, 3/4 ton, and 2 1 tons.
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #172
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Im gunna second that its not the tires issue for wearing that fast, they use a harder density tire then most. thats why they crack and dryrot faster then normal.
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #173
Joey-D

I am not sure why everyone is second guessing me. I have had 2 sets of these tire, and know of 3 sets other than mine. If it were one truck, or even one type of truck (say a 1 ton dually), then I could see the speculation. But considering 4 different vehicles, 4 different uses, 4 different weights, but the same outcome, I think I have justification. I did not voice my experience to argue with others, but to warn others.

Here I am in 2011 praising the tires. I will now have to update that thread.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=927516&page=5
Unread 09-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #174
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

second guessing because 6600 miles isnt very much. Ive ran them on 5 differnt trucks with no issues of wearing fast, we even run them on our shop truck at work that has 20k on them and have about 3/4 tread left on them. When you see 95% of people in here say they are not wearing quiclky then one person come in and say they are, you will see second guessing. No offence meant and not calling you liar, just that its odd that so few people seen them wear quickly.
Blue WK club #5
1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ, random leafspring budget lift ith 33s on 16s and V8 swap.
1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ --SOLD.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #175
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbmxseries1 View Post
second guessing because 6600 miles isnt very much. Ive ran them on 5 differnt trucks with no issues of wearing fast, we even run them on our shop truck at work that has 20k on them and have about 3/4 tread left on them. When you see 95% of people in here say they are not wearing quiclky then one person come in and say they are, you will see second guessing. No offence meant and not calling you liar, just that its odd that so few people seen them wear quickly.

Exactly.

And, he said the outers on the duallys had the fastest wear, which makes even less sense. I think he needs to check his pressures and alignment because the tires are not the problem.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #176
Muddeprived

Quote:
Stay away from treadwrights. They used to be great tires but apparently have changed compounds and do not last. I used to recommend them to everyone, but the set I have on my dually right now are at half thread with only 6600
Miles on them. My cousin got 19k out of his with constant rotations. My other buddy got 15k out of them being an idiot. The real deal Bfg all terrains will get 60k out of them. While treadwrights might cost 1/2 the price, they only last 1/3 of the miles.
This is just odd cuz I have roughly 22k miles on my set and the tread is around 90% which amazes me. They do not wear fast at all.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #177
2GPS4ME

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My Guard Dog order came in a couple weeks ago, and I'm as happy as usual with Treadwright.

Running the 285/75-16 D Load Rating with the bead-to-bead tread. Very, very nice.

WJ (WIFE JEEP) PROJECT COMING SOON
2GPS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #178
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

I just received my 285/70r17 guard dogs,balanced out great and run down the road true at 75 mph.
Kreeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #179
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Been running these since 2008 on a DDriver/off road and no poblems.

Treadwright.com Home Page

31" Tire page & they have bigger ones

moabjeeper.com's article on these tires

U can also pick the carcass of different MFG that they R gonna re-tread to.

Comments from other Jeepers:
Sub8Haven wrote-been running their 31x10.5x15 OTR mud tires for a few months now, and all I have to say is that they're freaking amazing. I've run BFG All-Terrains and Mud-Terrains, and honestly, I think these Treadwright re-treads are better all around than either of them. They're more aggressive than BFG MTs, they clean better, they bite better, they handle and ride better on the pavement, and they're quieter. Plus, I think for 33x12.5x15 it's going to cost $80 per tire.

People are always going to hate on re-tread tires, but these newer Treadwrights use a new manufacturing process that is way more advanced than what everyone else uses. I run these things at a solid 75-80mph on the blacktop in my CJ and they don't miss a beat. Believe me, if I didn't have faith in these tires, I wouldn't drive that fast in my CJ topless with no doors on.

cb wrote-I had a set of 33's on my '93 YJ. they were from the very first production run, and took a bit more weight than I was used to, to get them balanced. I talked with the factory rep at the time, and he acknowledged some tolerance issue with the first run, and offered to trade them out for new. I wasn't that worried, and they rode/drove fine for the four years I had them.
I had them on a set of 15x8 chrome mods. they were a good combo.
sounds like you'll save enough to get the 5th one 'basically' free.

================================================== =====================

OK, I received the re-treads today & they R going back, he apologized up, down , back & forth (it was noted on the purchase memo & verbal). I ordered BFG carcases & they sent Michelin's. Talked to Joel & he is paying to ship them back & having others made & re-shipped @ no extra charge. I like the BFG, been running them since '77 or so. The Michelin's felt to soft, being a two ply side wall.

So I took pics anyway so U could see the tread etc. Will show the BFG's when they R in.

These R the 31x10.5x15 OTR

================================================== ===============

Here are the BFG's, they took care of me when they made a mistake & sent the Michellins. They sent out the BFG's right away.

Well I had to test them out in the mud/clay & slid around & had fun last night. Didn't have my camera but w/some more rain, Citrus is going to be wild.

Here are the two pices together. I had it up to 60mph & no problem. Easy to balance & they ride very well, just waiting to see what kind of mileage I get out of them. I have 5 yrs on the BFG 33's that R going on the CJ8.

I have the only (I think) set of MT on a AT carcus. I don't care for 65 bucks a tire.

Bob had to weld my old tire carrier bracket/tub cause it broke from the 33's

================================================== ==================

OK, the tires tested out good in the clay & cleaned easy. They ride real smooth on the HWY & the tread is softer than the regular BFG's but I think they grab better than the original MFG of the BFG & I should know cause I've been running BFG M/T-R since '77 or so. I can so far recomend these tires, time will tell.

It rained the day B-4 & the clay was slippery.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #180
cdawall
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Old thread bump...Finally got a set of 315/75R16's on mine have about 5K on them with no visible wear. Great tire balanced up fine and checked them again at 3K without any major changes. Buddy is on his second set (ish) for his JK, originally had a set of 265/70R17's on it before we deployed that he sold to a coworker after 20K on them with about half tread left. He now has B2B 315/70R17's on it and about a month worth less mileage than mine. Still look brand new. Great tires for the price I will definitely be buying from them again especially since shipping cost for me is a trip up the street.

Only pic I have of mine (was changing shaft ujoints and unit bearings out.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.