Tread Wright MTG - ULTRA GRIP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tread Wright MTG - ULTRA GRIP

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiJeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tread Wright MTG - ULTRA GRIP

There are a number of different threads out there regarding Tread Wright. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with their ultra grip additive.

From the Tread Wright site for those that don't know what I'm talking about.

"Ultra Grip is a traction additive that we blend into the rubber compound. Ultra Grip consists of a crushed walnut shell and crushed glass particle that works in a two fold manner. As the tire wears down the walnut shell is designed to displace from the rubber leaving a small (1mm) pit or void that provides and additional traction edge. The crushed glass is designed to stay in place longer providing additional grit and grip on the surface of the tread."

It sounds like it could make a world of difference on ice and maybe even rocks (given the additional pits acting like sipping would ) but was wondering if there were any chunking or ware problems etc.

I don't want to start another retread vs new thread - just want to find out more about Ultra Grip - the Good and Bad.

noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
ThreePedals

I ran the tread write OTRs on my old Hardbody and payed extra for the ultra grip. They still sucked on icy roads and the ultra grip didn't make up for the lack of siping.When I purchased the tires the ultragrip was $20 a tire, and I never felt that the extra $80 was worth it. They have since lowered their price to $10 a tire, for only $40 extra I would consider getting it again, but I'm not convinced it makes all that much of a difference.
ThreePedals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I can see it for DD elements and such. But off-road i cant see any advantage. I would rather have a soft sticky tire than glass impregnated lugs, IMO id thank that it would break loose on rocks. In the woods it would chew through a log pretty good. Give and take, If it was a DD, Id go for it, Sounds like it would be good in hard pack and ice with the added traction. Good luck
Unread 06-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
peddlerofpunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

im allergic to walnuts, no ultra grip for me....

PUNK ISNT DEAD
Red Jeep Club member #200
peddlerofpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
NiCk-
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peddlerofpunk View Post
im allergic to walnuts, no ultra grip for me....
lol

RC 4.5" with ADJ. Trac Bar
33" BFG All Terrains on Cragar Soft 8's
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
noise_maker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys.
noise_maker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.