Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tractor Tires who uses them??? Would they tear up my AXLES???

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  JRussum 
#1 ·
Who around here uses tractor tires and rims. I think it would be just as easy to buy some tractor tires and build an adapter than buy some new Swampers.
I can build adapters preety easy. My Jeep will rarley see 25mph. Or would the tractor tires tear up to many axles.

#2 ·
I once saw a magazine where a dude has Unimog axles under a Jeep and was running agricultural tires (tractor tires). It was hilarious and cool, but probably street illegal.

I doubt the mod would save you any money because you still have to pay for tires (plus the mods). I think it'd ride like a frozen turd (like sh** and very hard).

I doubt that it would be better offroad, except maybe in mud, because that's what tractor tires are specifically made for. They don't farm rocks, sand, snow, or ice after all. They only farm mud/dirt. On any surface besides mud/dirt, those tractor tires would probably be worse.

It seems totally impractical for usage and for saving money.

However, if you want to do it just for fun and because you want to, then here is my best guess for axles. The tractor wheels are probably very heavy and will dog you down, and maybe strain axles more. Not sure about the tractor tires themselves.

Probably no one knows because probably none of us has ever done this. Try it and then let us know how it goes. Then you'll know more about it than we do. I don't think anyone is an authority on this subject, except that dude who did this with Unimog axles in that magazine a few years back.

#3 ·
Would they tear up the axles? Yep!
It depends on the diameter of the tire and its traction; for a corporate (AMC) rear end it is possible to spin an axle in a rear hub using 33" tires. The axle tubes are also weak and would need to be welded to the housing for larger tires on a corporate rear end.

For the typical large tractor tire you would probably have trouble getting differential gears low enough to let you use the vehicle, then the torque to turn them would then probably break corporate axles.

Smaller tires (like those used on a Ditch Witch) would work off road (probably not as well as Swampers) but would likely come apart on road (thus the need for a DOT approved tire on road).

Enjoy!

#4 ·
The axle tubes are also weak and would need to be welded to the housing for larger tires on a corporate rear end.

Enjoy!
What??? The axle tubes are already welded to the pumpkin.

Dirt and Mud are the only thing i know so rocks and sand are not in the picture. I'm not gonna go bigger than 38's if that(37's) narrow ones too.
I'm not gonna do it with no info, that would be like jumping off a cliff w/o a parachute just to see if u need one.

Whats UNIMOG AXLES???

#6 ·
OHHH.
Wouldn't it make since that trac tires get better tractin in mud. :confused: .But thats just me.

#10 ·
any 37 or 38" tire will tear apart your stock axles (assuming you have a dana35 in back per what your sig says, there was no dana35 front in jeeps you more than likely have a dana30)

#12 ·
theres a guy on this forum (im pretty sure he's from guam) that had some pictures of guys running smaller tractor tires on 16" steelies and they were tearin it up in clay. maybe he can repost those pics here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.