Tractor Tires who uses them??? Would they tear up my AXLES??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tractor Tires who uses them??? Would they tear up my AXLES???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille

Unread 03-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
jeepcj-7
1974 CJ5 

Tractor Tires who uses them??? Would they tear up my AXLES???

Who around here uses tractor tires and rims. I think it would be just as easy to buy some tractor tires and build an adapter than buy some new Swampers.
I can build adapters preety easy. My Jeep will rarley see 25mph. Or would the tractor tires tear up to many axles.

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party because I like to party and I like my Jesus to party.
jeepcj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I once saw a magazine where a dude has Unimog axles under a Jeep and was running agricultural tires (tractor tires). It was hilarious and cool, but probably street illegal.

I doubt the mod would save you any money because you still have to pay for tires (plus the mods). I think it'd ride like a frozen turd (like sh** and very hard).

I doubt that it would be better offroad, except maybe in mud, because that's what tractor tires are specifically made for. They don't farm rocks, sand, snow, or ice after all. They only farm mud/dirt. On any surface besides mud/dirt, those tractor tires would probably be worse.

It seems totally impractical for usage and for saving money.

However, if you want to do it just for fun and because you want to, then here is my best guess for axles. The tractor wheels are probably very heavy and will dog you down, and maybe strain axles more. Not sure about the tractor tires themselves.

Probably no one knows because probably none of us has ever done this. Try it and then let us know how it goes. Then you'll know more about it than we do. I don't think anyone is an authority on this subject, except that dude who did this with Unimog axles in that magazine a few years back.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Would they tear up the axles? Yep!
It depends on the diameter of the tire and its traction; for a corporate (AMC) rear end it is possible to spin an axle in a rear hub using 33" tires. The axle tubes are also weak and would need to be welded to the housing for larger tires on a corporate rear end.

For the typical large tractor tire you would probably have trouble getting differential gears low enough to let you use the vehicle, then the torque to turn them would then probably break corporate axles.

Smaller tires (like those used on a Ditch Witch) would work off road (probably not as well as Swampers) but would likely come apart on road (thus the need for a DOT approved tire on road).

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
jeepcj-7
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
The axle tubes are also weak and would need to be welded to the housing for larger tires on a corporate rear end.

Enjoy!
What??? The axle tubes are already welded to the pumpkin.

Dirt and Mud are the only thing i know so rocks and sand are not in the picture. I'm not gonna go bigger than 38's if that(37's) narrow ones too.
I'm not gonna do it with no info, that would be like jumping off a cliff w/o a parachute just to see if u need one.

Whats UNIMOG AXLES???

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party because I like to party and I like my Jesus to party.
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj-7 View Post
What??? The axle tubes are already welded to the pumpkin.

Dirt and Mud are the only thing i know so rocks and sand are not in the picture. I'm not gonna go bigger than 38's if that(37's) narrow ones too.
I'm not gonna do it with no info, that would be like jumping off a cliff w/o a parachute just to see if u need one.

Whats UNIMOG AXLES???
No, actually the tubes are pressed into the center section, they aren't welded.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
jeepcj-7
1974 CJ5 

OHHH.
Wouldn't it make since that trac tires get better tractin in mud. .But thats just me.

Unread 03-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you're gonna do it I would go with a radial.
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what axles do you have?
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcj-7 View Post
Whats UNIMOG AXLES???
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvy1GIrQXg

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #10
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

any 37 or 38" tire will tear apart your stock axles (assuming you have a dana35 in back per what your sig says, there was no dana35 front in jeeps you more than likely have a dana30)
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
Muddeprived

Just get some super swamper LTB's and be done with it. They are super-agressive and probably better than tractor tires.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
JRussum

theres a guy on this forum (im pretty sure he's from guam) that had some pictures of guys running smaller tractor tires on 16" steelies and they were tearin it up in clay. maybe he can repost those pics here.

"**** you, Im getting IN the plane, let Evel Kinevel get ON the plane!!! - George Carlin
JRussum is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.