Track Bars and Shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Track Bars and Shackles

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-05-2001, 07:02 AM   #1
Byerly76

Track Bars and Shackles

I am in the process of installing the Pro Comp 4" lift on my '91. It already has a 3" body. The original shackles are now angled about 45 degrees. Any recomendations on replacement shackles? I keep reading that I should leave the track bars off. Both front and rear? How does this affect handling? I am moving into new territory for me and ANY advice would be greatly appreciated

Byerly76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2001, 06:33 AM   #2
st_hood

I can't help you with the shackle question, but as far as the track bars I have removed mine. It really helps the rear wheels stay on the ground on uneven ground. Remove them and drive. If you don't like it put them back on. I find it best to make one change at a time then you can tell what is affecting the ride.
Shackles, I have been recommended the boomerang shackles and that is what I'm looking for.
st_hood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2001, 11:19 PM   #3
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I honestly don't think you need new shackles. The angle isn't going to change with new shackles. Granted, the boomerangs will prevent contact with the bumper, but I doubt that's going to be a problem with a 4" Procomp. More than likely, you'll soon be asking how to get the ride to soften up a bit. Add more weight to the Jeep. That's the only real solution.

I don't run trac bars anymore. Never did in the rear, but only recently did away with the front for good. Honestly, I'd rather have it in there. Steering response is substantially better with a trac bar. What you can do to alleviate some of the slowed response without the trac bar is tighten up the shackles very very tight. But that will decrease ride comfort so it's a trade off. I've just learned to get used driving with fairly poor steering response. It's not horrible, but it sure as hell ain't no sports car.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.