Torn between these.....? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Torn between these.....?

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Filthy4x4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Torn between these.....?

I am about to make a purchase for some new tires/wheels, with soo soo many choices I really have no idea which ones to go with.

The wheels that I'm interested in are the XD cranks. (17x9) Matt black

As for tire size I am looking at 35x12.5x17

I am in between a few different tires...

1. The nitto trail grappler
2. The hanook dynapro MT
3. The BF Goodrich all terrain ko
4. (Insert your favorite tires)

As for my car I have a 2012 jeep wrangler sahara 4door...

I am also thinking for a good 2.5-3 inch lift.

I drive 80% on the streets of LA and gonna do bout 20% off roading.

Any and all opinions are more than welcome thanks and god bless America!!!

Filthy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My personal favorite of your choices would be the BFG. I ran them for years until getting a jeep now I run the BFG KM2. I have a buddy with a JK Rubicon. He is running Toyo Open Country MT with mostly street use. I know they are pretty quiet on the street and he says they are wearing great. He loves them.
Photog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i think the bfg ko's are the most outdated and over rated tire on the market. they were revolutionary as the first real all-terrain, but havent changed a thing since they came out.

you put two MT's and an AT, with 80% street driving i would think that an AT would be preferable

I cant say a bad thing about the Duratracs on or off-road, and they are relatively cheap and light compared to other tires
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just my opinion, but if it aint broke dont fix it. and with that being said. They must not have very good engineers at BFG because if they did they would be "fixing" it all the time.
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

or if people are still buying it, why change anything. kinda like chuck taylors, which were once worn in the nba
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Photog2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

LMAO good analogy
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like my kevlars, They are quiet and are wearing like iron. Another good one IMO is the MTZ. Ran many sets and got 46k out of my last set. Quiet for what they are and DD in any element well.

BFG a/t ko's would be the last tire on the list or if you get them cheap as ****. Nothing good to say except they will last longer, I would rather pay and have the traction. To each their own, Good luck
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Whatever you decide I wouldn't go with hankook dynapro m/t....

They wore quick and the traction wasn't that great... My dad had them on his tahoe in the 315/75/16 flavor.

May not be on your list but I'd go with the Goodyear Wrangler mt/r with kevlar...
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Filthy4x4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all your help... However I am actually more confused than when I started this thread ;-( Hahahahaha
Filthy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy4x4 View Post
Thanks for all your help... However I am actually more confused than when I started this thread ;-( Hahahahaha

Sorry

IMO the BFG is no option for 99.9% road, But thats me. From your list, I would go with the Nitto's. Seem to be getting alot of attention and more and more running them. I have no clue to them other than they look good and id try them if i could get a decent deal but they seem to wear well and bite hard. Noise is most likely high but thats to be had, Turn up the radio.
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
silverrr
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just got install 4 new Nitto trail grappler mt today mostly for the agressive way they look and great reviews from different offroad magazines as the quietest MT on the market today ....and I can tell you going to the tire shop with my MTRs was like driving a cessna ....coming home was like driving a camry soooo much quieter I love them ..got them in 315-70-17 is a hair wider than the 35 and a hair smaller diameter but you can save $20 per tire by going 315's instead of 35's , those $80 bucks you save will pay for your mounting and balance ...mine were $1252 shipped to my house in 3 days .
Unread 07-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I really like my Goodyear MT/R's. They've been very quiet so far and wearing well. They have the kevlar too.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.