Tires stretched - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tires stretched

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 09-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
nyyankee

Tires stretched

Hey guys. I purchased 15x8 rims a while ago on my 2000 jeep sport and the stock 225/75/15 tires stretched out a little when I put them on the 8's. I'm purchasing new tires. Ive noticed these tires slip alot in the rain, also the tires dont look right when stretched. The tread is thinner than the sidewall if you know what I mean. Can someone recommend a correct tire size for the 15x8's. I would like the tires to look vertical and horizontal equal if that makes sense. I am also thinking about maybe going back to stock rims because the center caps on these cheap rims in the front are loose and they make alot of noise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

nyyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
WXman

You always want the listed tread width to be equal to or slightly greater than the listed wheel width. Manufacturers have this info. on their sites, and tirerack.com has a lot of info too.

For a 8" wheel, to get the tread width to be the same you are looking at 255 and 265 width tires. But usually those are 30" tall or more so I can't say whether they'll fit or not.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
nyyankee

Ok so stock tires are 215/75/15, (215 = 8.46" W) I have now 225/75/15's on 8 inch rim (225 = 8.86" W). Based on calculations rule of thumb is to go 0.2" wider on tires for each 0.5" of rim. So the 225 is exactly that but they still dont look good. I wanted to step up to 235/70/15 which is 9.25 inches wide but Im afraid of rub. Anyone have any experience with these?
Unread 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
WXman

No, TREAD width needs to be equal to or slightly greater than wheel width. A 225 series tire only has 6.75" of tread width...sometimes less. That's why it looks goofy and doesn't wear properly. Like I said, you'd need to get into the 255 or 265 series widths to get the necessary tread width for those 8" wheels. 275s and 285s actually look best on 8" wheels.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
nyyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
No, TREAD width needs to be equal to or slightly greater than wheel width. A 225 series tire only has 6.75" of tread width...sometimes less. That's why it looks goofy and doesn't wear properly. Like I said, you'd need to get into the 255 or 265 series widths to get the necessary tread width for those 8" wheels. 275s and 285s actually look best on 8" wheels.

Actual Tire Section Width is Dependent on Wheel Width

All tire sizes are assigned specific rim widths upon which they are measured (measuring rim), as well as can often be mounted on slightly narrower or wider wheels (rim width range). Therefore, it is important to note that actual tire section width will depend on the wheel width the tire is mounted on. The rule of thumb is that tire section width changes by 0.2" for every 0.5" change in rim width, being reduced if mounted on narrower then measuring wheel and increased when mounted on wider wheels.

More Tire Tech Information

With a 10" tire I think its going to run the front fender on turns.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...e.jsp?techid=7
Unread 10-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
nyyankee

Thanks for all the help. I went with 235/70/15

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.