Which tires should I get for a JK unlimited running mainly on street? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Which tires should I get for a JK unlimited running mainly on street?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
Jk12blk

Which tires should I get for a JK unlimited running mainly on street?

So I just recently purchased a Jk sport unlimited black. And I need advice on which tires to buy. I know I am going for 35's. But I don't know which ones are good for mainly street driving? I also want them to have a rugged MT kinda look. Another thing is which lift kit is best? I am new to this and need some guidance! Thanx

Jk12blk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Rugged look but mainly for street driving? BFG Rugged Terrain T/A or Kumho Road Venture SAT are both in a gray area between highway and AT--I personally use the Kumho SATs. General Grabber AT2 is an AT tire with a more aggressive old-school design at a great price. Goodyear Duratrac is a very aggressive AT tire that maintains decent road performance. I could go on but...

You're going to 35s but are driving on the street but want to LOOK aggressive... Without knowing what's more important to you--looks or performance appropriate for your mostly street driving--it's hard for me to make a recommendation that I'm super confident in. Street driving and MT looks means that you will have to make compromises. I mean no offense, but it sounds like your JK will be a poser street-queen in which case looks may be too important to you to get tires perfectly suited to street driving, so just shop by looks in that case.

I'm not familiar with JKs to comment on lifts.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Toyo Open Country AT3 (LT or Xtreme versions), Hankook Dynapro ATM, or BFG AT come to mind. These aggressive looking ATs are also excellent performers.

For lower cost solutions (that are still good) some of the Hercules brand ATs and the Definity Dakota brand of ATs sold by Pep Boys, and the Goodyear ATs (forgot product name) sold at Wallmart.

Probably others too.

(Hercules and Definity brands are subsidiary companies owned and made by Cooper)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.