Tires -- Not how big, but what kind?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tires -- Not how big, but what kind??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
WranglerWzrd

Tires -- Not how big, but what kind??

I've been cruising through these forums for a couple days now and, among the wealth of information I've found here, I've not seen one discussion on which tire brand names are preferred. I'm in Iraq right now, and have about $4k saved up to spend on my '05 TJ when I get back next month. My Jeep's a DD but will see weekly time in the trails of Washington state as well.

Among all the stuff I have to do (replace my cracked windshield/fog lamps), I plan on installing a 4" OME SL kit with Rocky Road Outfitters shocks, and a new front and rear bumper set (as yet undecided). I'll get to the gearing and the rear Dana as the money comes in.

But I'm going to put 33/12.5s onto a 17" rim. Any suggestions on tires and rims? DC, ProComp, Mickeys, Nitto, BFG??? I want tires and rims that'll perform, look sexy and still give me 40k miles (daily driver!) before I have to change them.

Thanks!!!
-christopher

WranglerWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF Christopher and keep your head down until you get back home next month. I went ahead and moved your thread over to our Tire & Wheel forum where you'll get more answers on such a question. Nice to have you here on JF, here's looking forward to September when you get home.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
WranglerWzrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I went ahead and moved your thread over to our Tire & Wheel forum where you'll get more answers on such a question.
Thanks! Crap, I'm a noob!!!!!
WranglerWzrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Between those tire brands you mentioned, I'd personally go for BFG. Personally, I won't even consider ProComp. The BFG Mud Terrain KM2 is a great all-around tire that will easily last well over 40K if not 50K miles. Mine certainly did. And if the extra $$$ for Goodyear's kevlar reinforced MT/R isn't a big issue, that's a superb tire. After two sets of BFGs that were fine until I got more into rock crawling, I've had three sets of Goodyear MT/Rs and they hold up to pretty much anything you can throw at them. Plus they hook up on the trail incredibly well.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran MTZ's for along time. Got 46k out of my last set. I rotated them every 3k or so and ran 24 to 26psi. I now run the mt/r Kevlars. I drive 100+ round trip everyday. I dont DD my TJ much anymore, But when i do i wanted a tire thats good in all elements and even the road.
The mt/r k hooks up great in the rain, But haven't had them in snow yet but i dont see any problems. I have yet to read about or put mine in a position that they haven't walked right out. Around my area they honestly do so well with my Detroit i dont use 4wd as much as i used to. I wanted the strongest tire possible as i live 15 minutes on gravel and they eat tires.
You cant really go wrong with with BFG, Mt/r k or MTZ, They will all suit a DD/weekend worrier. Just like wheels, Comes down to what material and design you want to run, Your jeep. Like said keep your head down and thanks for your service to our country. Good luck
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
91NDJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My last 4 sets have been -

- BFG A/Ts
- BFG M/T KM1s
- Mickey T MTZs
- BFG M/T KM2s

I highly recommend all of them.
Unread 08-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome.
First off 4k is a decent chunk of change but that can go away fast.

If I were you I would probably go with a 15" rim if you are going to run 33's to give you a little more sidewall flex and help keep the cost down, but its your choice. As for what tire and rim to run a few in my club have had great luck with the Cooper sst's. They seem to work pretty good up here in the NW and I borrowed a set for an off road challenge a few years ago and was impressed. I also like the plain black steel wheels for them, like the pro comp rock crawlers.

I dont know if you have a slip yoke eliminator yet but that would also be on my short list as well as a cv driveline and better steering. I broke my stock tie rod pretty quick up here.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!

Tags
build , opinion , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.