which tire would you prefer. km2's vs mtr's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > which tire would you prefer. km2's vs mtr's

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Gunner13
2002 TJ Wrangler 

which tire would you prefer. km2's vs mtr's

Hey guys, like the title says. I am looking at an entire lift in my living room that is waiting on tires to be installed. I can't make up my mind between km2's and mtr's. Either way they will be 33x12.5 r15. Last jeep I ran same size duratrecs but want something a little more aggressive this go round. It is a daily driver but it gets wheeled quite a bit as well. A lot of mud and rocks. Also I live in the north east so snow is factored into the equation as well. Thanks in advance for your responses

Gunner13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not even close IMO. MTRs are excellent for the type of wheeling we do around here. Neither are going to be wonderful in onroad snow.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
Gunner13
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So you think I should run duratreks again? They were awesome in snow.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner13 View Post
So you think I should run duratreks again? They were awesome in snow.
An AT will absolutely be better than either of those in onroad snow.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ive heard horror stories about mtr's in new England wheeling. the cake up and become slicks...I haven't personally run them but that's what I was told by a few different members in my club when I was looking to change out my tires to them. yes they work awesome in the rocks but in NE in order to get to the rocks you need to travel thru some muddy terrain. my personal vote would be the duratracs....ran them on my old taco and loved them. just got to be careful with the sidewalls.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
ive heard horror stories about mtr's in new England wheeling. the cake up and become slicks...I haven't personally run them but that's what I was told by a few different members in my club when I was looking to change out my tires to them. yes they work awesome in the rocks but in NE in order to get to the rocks you need to travel thru some muddy terrain. my personal vote would be the duratracs....ran them on my old taco and loved them. just got to be careful with the sidewalls.
Old MTRs or new? Could definitely see that with old. Not my experience (third set) with new.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #7
Gunner13
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I ran them on the last one. They are great. And they are the cheapest.lol. I don't know why I am fighting it.lol
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
tjty11
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i run mtr's. The downsides of having them and it being a daily driver is that it kills your mpg. With mtr's you sure can hear your jeep coming down the street. lol when these wear out im getting at's
tjty11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjty11 View Post
i run mtr's. The downsides of having them and it being a daily driver is that it kills your mpg. With mtr's you sure can hear your jeep coming down the street. lol when these wear out im getting at's
What qualifies as killing your mpg? With 35x12.5 MTRs I get 14-15 on a typical tank which is mix of street and highway. Highway only 16-17.

And IMO MTRs are quiet compared to true MTs.

I guess I'm coming across as an MTR cheerleader but the comments just don't fit with my personal experience.
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
tjty11
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sorry i thought you meant mt's. My bad
tjty11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjty11 View Post
My Mtr's are actually surprisingly quiet. they also aren't an overly heavy tire compared to other muds so they won't kill mpg anymore than similar sized tires

I've yet to use them for new england winter driving but I can't imagine they would be comparable to the a/t simply because that is not their design.

I think you're going to have a lot of people pulling for both tires because you really can't go wrong with that choice, it just comes down to personal preference and price point

I vote mtr
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Gunner13
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody have experience with mtr's in the snow?
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Last year I took my Jeep off road and on road several times in snow. On road, no issues. Tons of snow dumping in the pass and the Jeep didn't miss a beat. Off road, I could never get stuck. Granted, I have lockers, but rarely engaged the front. Imho, the MTR's are phenominal.
Unread 08-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have MTR's for over 2yrs now. Great on the road all though they wear a little faster than the older MTR. Rocks hook up great. Decent in the snow but I also am locked front and back so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison to an open diff rig. Ok in the mud. Not great on muddy hill climbs. Sidewall has been great so far with no puncture. I'd prefer a more aggressive tire but figured I'd give these a shot. Would buy again.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
heezy101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had the old MTR's. I have KM2's now and I think they preform better on the road, especially in wet conditions.
'98 TJ, Rough Country Long Arms, Curry HD steering with Redneck Ram Hydro assist, RE 4.5" Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 15x8 Procomp 1079, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, LOD Signature series rear bumper and tire carrier with lights, Super 35, 4.56's, Detroit TruTrack front, ARB rear, Viair Heavy Duty OBA
heezy101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.