Tire Suggestions - 2004 TJ (stock) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire Suggestions - 2004 TJ (stock)

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Phinney
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Suggestions - 2004 TJ (stock)

I recently purchased my first Jeep, a 2004 TJ. Everything is stock on it, and it currently has summer tires with about 50% tread left on them that I'm looking to upgrade. I live in a city that gets a fair amount of snow and am looking to get something that will be good in the snow and on the road as I will be using this as my daily driver all year round.

Just wondering what suggestions people may have for a reasonably priced, good all terrain tire and what size I would be able to fit on my Jeep without lifting it.

Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would say the BFG All terrain I had those and I really liked them. You can fit up to a 31 on the tj stock suspension but know you won't have much clearance and room for flex. Check out the picture forum to see what it will look like exactly.
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

BFG A/T's or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
tmtj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Duratracs got very good reviews for snow and ice in the latest Fourwheeler mag. I had the bfg at and didn't care for them on the ice. I personally haven't tried the Duratracs yet but will probably get them for my xj which is my DD. The Duratracs may be a little rougher ride on the street. Goodyear silent armor got very good reviews for snow and ice as well, I ran them in Fl. and were a great tire. can't comment on snow and ice.
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Story
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Duratrac

If you want less than a 35 go with the Duratrac. Great in snow/ice. Quiet for as aggressive as it looks. Long life. Acceptable offroad. Perfect daily driver for someone who does not need maximum performance offroad (weak sidewall). Dura
Story is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story View Post
If you want less than a 35 go with the Duratrac. Great in snow/ice. Quiet for as aggressive as it looks. Long life. Acceptable offroad. Perfect daily driver for someone who does not need maximum performance offroad (weak sidewall). Dura
The OP has a 'stock' jeep why would he consider 35s?

The Duratracs tires are great! I love mine, smooth and quiet on road, great in the rain, really good off road in mud & sifty sand. great reviews in the snow and ice. without a lift you should only go with the30x9.50x15 or 31x10.50x15s. if you went with the 31s, if you wanted to do a BBL in the future, it would still look good. I wouldn't say the side walls are weak, they're just not bullet proof. I had the BFG T/A KO's before and I wasn't pleased with them.

Which wheels do you have? size and type.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Phinney
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The wheels currently on the Jeep are Goodyear GS-A 225/75/R15 on the front and Michelin LTX M/S on the rear. They were the tires that came on the Jeep when I purchased it and only have about 50% tread left. I've also noticed that Canadian Tire has a deal on Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires where if you buy 3 you get the 4th free. I know these wouldn't be as good as the Duratracs but where I'm a student on a budget they may be the best option.

I'm also hoping to be able to fit size 31/10.5/R15 tires on the Jeep without lifting it right away, hoping there won't be any rub.
Unread 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do the 31x10.5.
The information is out there, they won't rub. But if they do, you can add some washers to the steering stop.

Then get a 2" BB, those 31's will look great!
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Richard_97222
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a stock 2004 TJ sport with stock rims and the duratracs 31 x 10.50's. No problems with rubbing or road noise.

Richard_97222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Duratracs are great, but if you want something less agressive that will probably last longer and be a bit cheaper, I read alot of good things about the Hankook Dynapro ATM's when I was doing research on tires.

I ended up buying Duratracs because I wanted the more agressive look.

If it wasn't for the looks, I'd have gone with the Hankooks. (not a bad looking tire itself, just not as gnarly looking as the Dura)
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
tjtrucker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That Goodyear Wrangler Territory's a good looking tire. It doesn't have as much siping as the Duratrac. I don't think it will perform as well in the rain, snow and ice as the Duratrac. but if that's all the coin ya' got, there's not much you can do about it. make sure you get a warranty with it.
tjtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
terpsmandan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

31's or 265/75/15. I just got a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 265/75/15. Same dimensions as a 31x10.5x15. Sidewalls are not as stiff but I don't go offroad as much as some. In the winter, I am running ContiExtreme winter contact 245/75/16 on a set of 15x7 KJ steel wheels with 1.25 spacers.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Phinney
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ended up going with the 31' Goodyear Wrangler Territory's. Love them so far.

Here's a pic of the jeep before with stock wheels:

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...y/56c5254c.jpg

And here's a pic with the new tires:
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/...y/bb4194b7.jpg

Next project is to blacken the fender flares.

Tags
2004 , red , stock , tire , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.