Tire sizes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire sizes

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Tire sizes

Ok, before I catch too much Heck, Ive searched and still havent found the answer. I need some help understanding something.
My 97 XJ has tires on it that are 225/75/15. I know the 15 is the rim size, as for the other two sets of numbers 225/75, I am not sure what those really entail. Can I put tires on that are 235/70, or 245/75? ( I am lifting eventually, but only 2"-2.5")

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Using the example of 225/75r15....

225 = the width of the tread in mm = 225 mm wide
75 = the height of the sidewall (rim to tread) as a percentage of the width = 75% of 225 = 169 mm
15 = diameter of the wheel in inches = 15" wheel

Yes, you can change your tire size around. If you go to a size that has a different overall diameter than your stock size, be sure to change your speedo gear so that your odometer/trip/speedometer remain accurate. A tire size calculator like the one at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html can show you how different tire sizes compare in their dimensions. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm has everything you need to know about changing your speedo gear--it's SUPER easy.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Keep in mind that beyond 30" in diameter is pushing it in terms of fit without rubbing and/or modification for a stock Cherokee. With that future 2+" lift, you should be fine up to at least 31" tires.

235/75r15 is a very popular size (about 29" diameter) with lots of tire options under a stock Cherokee (and was even a stock size once upon a time).

What do you do with your Cherokee? Is it primarily a daily driver? Does it see much offroading? Is it only for long trips?
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Keep in mind that beyond 30" in diameter is pushing it in terms of fit without rubbing and/or modification for a stock Cherokee. With that future 2+" lift, you should be fine up to at least 31" tires.

235/75r15 is a very popular size (about 29" diameter) with lots of tire options under a stock Cherokee (and was even a stock size once upon a time).

What do you do with your Cherokee? Is it primarily a daily driver? Does it see much offroading? Is it only for long trips?
Daily driver, with weekend trails. I dont plan on running this thing in the,Hammers, snd an occasional trip to OH to visit family. I had BFG all terrains on my YJ, and was looking at a set for the XJ, but the toyo at & general grabbers are cheaper.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'd recommend that you not go any wider than necessary if you're on the road a lot. Wider tires create more drag and suck more gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
BFG Rugged Terrain
Bridgestone REVO 2
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Firestone Destination AT
Goodyear Duratrac
Goodyear Silent Armor
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Kumho Roadventure SAT
Toyo Open Country AT 2

That's my short list of all-terrain tires in alphabetical order. You really can't lose with any of them. BFG RT and Kumho SAT are both milder for better or for worse (depending on how much/little and how extreme/mild you wheel).

As someone who uses his Jeep as a daily driver but goes off road occasionally, I chose a milder AT tire (some consider it a highway/AT hybrid)--Kumho RV SAT ($100/tire at Tirerack). BFG Rugged Terrain is similar. If I went off road any less than I do now, I'd roll with Firestone Destination LE 2--virtually no contest in the highway tire department really imo.
Sounds like you probably wheel more than I do, but that trip to OH for you is more highway time then I usually ever do also. BFG AT and Generals don't make it onto my short list these days because I don't feel like there's anything they do (with their rather dated tread designs) that these other tires can't do the same or better for the same price or less.
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome. Thats what I needed to hear. The idjit at the tire store trying to sell me a set of Mickey Thompsons bajaclaws for $1100, despite explaining its my DD, & not sure I'd need them. Now I know i
Unread 03-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ/STZs are decent tires. I never consider them because Mickeys strike me as overpriced and (the Baja Zs at least) don't have tread wear warranties. Claws on a daily driver though? Yikes, that guy was definitely not trying to give you the best tire for your needs.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.