tire size question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > tire size question

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-04-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
x wheelin

tire size question

I just got a couple of old spares for my tj,
the only problem is i dont know exactly what sizes they are

one is a bfg mt and its A 255/85/16 and the other is a trxus m/t and its a 235/85/16

can anyone tell me how tall and wide theses are?

thanks

x wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #2
YJWOLF

255/85R16 is close to a 33"x10"

and the 235/85R16 is close to a 32"x9" or so.
Unread 06-04-2004, 10:59 PM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

YJWOLF is right on...there are online calculators, but it's a calculation you ought to know how to do anyway...

quick tire lesson (for you and anybody else that scans)...

255/85/16...is a tire that is 255mm wide, with the profile being 85% of that, made for a 16" rim...

so, the width is 255/25.4 (25.4 millimeters in an inch)...
and the height is the profile multiplied by the width, and doubled (to account for the top and bottom), converted to inches, and then add the wheel size, so 255*.85*2/25.4+16

using that, you get the following:

255/85/16 = 33.07x10.04x16, so a 33x10.00x16 tire (don't think you'll find one of those)
235/85/16 = 31.73x9.25x16, so 32x9.00x16 or 32x9.50x16 (another size that I don't recall seeing)

new information for some..."who gives a rat's" info for some...and common knowledge for others...

so, if you've been waiting to learn something new, and you just did, you can now go to bed...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
x wheelin

Thanks alot guys,

For letting me go to sleep
x wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.