Tire/Rim size question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire/Rim size question

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-11-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
matthawk7

Tire/Rim size question

Hey guys,
New around here so take it easy on me!
I was just in an accident where this guy ran my 2000TJ into a concrete baricade on the interstate...on purpose. That was exciting. Anyway, his insurance company is fixing the damage and popping for 4 new rims and tires. I really like the new Rubicon rims but I was wondering if 33's would fit my wells without a lift kit. I know they have 5" of backspacing, so depth shouldn't be an issue...just the height. Any thoughts?

If anyone is ditching a set of Rubi rims and/or tires let me know
Great forum, and thanks!
M

matthawk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
steelerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthawk7
Hey guys,
New around here so take it easy on me!
I was just in an accident where this guy ran my 2000TJ into a concrete baricade on the interstate...on purpose. That was exciting. Anyway, his insurance company is fixing the damage and popping for 4 new rims and tires. I really like the new Rubicon rims but I was wondering if 33's would fit my wells without a lift kit. I know they have 5" of backspacing, so depth shouldn't be an issue...just the height. Any thoughts?

If anyone is ditching a set of Rubi rims and/or tires let me know
Great forum, and thanks!
M
I would get a 2.5 inch OME lift and a 1 inch body before I did those. That would be a cheap route. Then you could get 33x12.50's instead of the narrow looking 10.50 to fit on the stock rims.
Unread 09-11-2003, 05:30 PM   #3
matthawk7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerman
I would get a 2.5 inch OME lift and a 1 inch body before I did those. That would be a cheap route. Then you could get 33x12.50's instead of the narrow looking 10.50 to fit on the stock rims.
The set I'm looking at has 285/75/16's (don't look that narrow). I won't be doing anything rough until I lift, but I don't know when that will be. I just need 'em to fit for a while!
tanks
M
Unread 09-11-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
steelerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthawk7
The set I'm looking at has 285/75/16's (don't look that narrow). I won't be doing anything rough until I lift, but I don't know when that will be. I just need 'em to fit for a while!
tanks
M
I don't know how different the rubi is, but on my Sahara I fit 32's with no lift but did have some rubbing when I turned sharply. You won't be able to off road it though.
Unread 09-11-2003, 06:54 PM   #5
steelerman

Quote:
I don't know how different the rubi is, but on my Sahara I fit 32's with no lift but did have some rubbing when I turned sharply. You won't be able to off road it though.
Go to www.colorado4x4.org and look under the for sale 4x4 section. There is someone selling there Rubi wheels and tires.
Unread 09-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
matthawk7

Quote:
You won't be able to off road it though.
That won't do...I don't know when I'd be able to get her lifted but I don't think I could stand seeing those sitting there and not going off a bit.

Thanks for the heads up on the other site. Hopefully those will come through.
M
Unread 09-13-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

im running 285/75 's on my tj. its lifted but im pretty sure you could fit them on without a lift. As far as rubbing.... dont hit any pot holes and dont go offroad at all. I saw a pic on the internet of a guys jeep that ran 33's for a week before he got his lift... he said it could be done but for on road only. all jeeps are different i say mesure and make sure.
FanAholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 08:53 PM   #8
matthawk7

Cool...I decided to go ahead and do this...Picked up 5 MT/R 285/75's on Rubi rims with about 1000 miles for 1250. Seemed like a good deal for nearly new. Hope I can get by with this for a bit. If not I may have to do a BB or something else cheap to clear for a while. Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.