Tire Recommendation Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire Recommendation Needed

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
metsvendor

Tire Recommendation Needed

I am replacing my original Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires on my pre-owned 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The tires last about 6 years and 40,000 miles. Right now the sidewalls on 2 of the tires are turning white so I guess I need to replace quickly. Can someone provide their recommendations for the best value all-season tire to replace all 4? Its most local driving in the Northeast--snow travel is needed but not the overall deciding factore. Also nothing to tow--just normall driving. Thanks so much.

metsvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming you don't do much offroading I recommend Firestone Destination LE2 or Kumho Road Venture SAT. They're both a great value especially from Tirerack.com or DiscountTireDirect.com. I haven't used the Firestones in snow, but I use the Kumhos currently and was amazed at how great they were in blizzard conditions.
Unread 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Based on reviews...

Michelin LTX is a top rated All Season with All Terrain toughness and it has good ride quality. It's very highly rated for Winter roads. I think it's best for your needs, except that it's expensive.

Kumho Road Venture SAT is a highly rated All Season with All Terrain toughness and has good ride quality. It's highly rated for Winter roads. I think it would be good for your needs, and it is a low price.

Note: Some consider those tires good AS tires. Some consider those tires good AT tires. It's a matter of opinion whether those tires are AS or AT. It is my opinion that those tires are part AS and part AT. A nice combination for a Jeep owner wanting an AS tire.
Unread 06-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What size wheels do you have?
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
metsvendor

I have P245/70R16. The Jeep is used by my kids so my main concern is just safety. Car just used to get from point A to point B. Looking at pricing the Firestone Destination LE2 tires look to be the most competiviely pricied for about $600 in total with all taxes and installed. Does that seem to be a fair assessment?
metsvendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsvendor View Post
I have P245/70R16. The Jeep is used by my kids so my main concern is just safety. Car just used to get from point A to point B. Looking at pricing the Firestone Destination LE2 tires look to be the most competiviely pricied for about $600 in total with all taxes and installed. Does that seem to be a fair assessment?
The Firestone would be OK, but I think the tires I mentioned would be better in Winter conditions, and the Kumho is probably same or less money than Firestone.
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

They'd the Firestine would be OK, but I think the tires I mentioned would be better in Winter conditions, and the Kumho is probably same or less money than Firestone.
I agree. If you compare the tread patterns, the Kumhos look like an only slightly more aggressive FS Dest LE2. I'm a perfectionist, and I'm super satisfied with my SATs. I'm not sure if Tirerack or DiscountTireDirect would be cheaper right now.
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Consumer Reports tested the Firestone, Kumho, and Michelin mentioned in all conditions, including snow and ice. Michelin LTX was very highly rated for Winter use, even though it's a year round use tire. The Kumho SAT was almost as highly rated for Winter use, even though it's a year round use tire, and the Kumho SAT is low cost. The Firestone was not highly rated for Winter use. It did OK on snow, but poor on ice. The Micheline LTX and Kumho SAT performed excellent on snow and good on ice.

If Winter driving safety is important, then I would not recommend the Firestone. The Kumho SAT is much better at a similar, or possibly even lower, cost.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

BF Goodrich AT's for my money--
Silver Jeep club member #76 Semper -Fi my brothers
VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.