Tire question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire question

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
ZeroTolerance
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tire question

I'm looking to get new rubber for the TJ, 33x12.5x15.

I've been reading that the Toyo Open Country M/T's are heavier than the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2's. Does just over 9lbs per tire make that much difference in stress with light wheeling?

I don't do the mud bogging or rock crawling thing, just mainly street and trail riding with light mud.

Yes, I'm running a D35 for now.

Thanks

ETA: I'm running 4.10 gears

Last edited by ZeroTolerance; 09-23-2013 at 06:35 PM..
ZeroTolerance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Check out the Goodyear Duratracs. Great highway tire that is capable in the snow and does fairly well off road.
2012 Rubicon JKUR: 4" Tera Flex Long Arm, Fox 2.0 Shocks w/resi, Fox Stabi, Yukon 5:13's, Evo C gussets, Evo Magnum Sleeves, Evo Rockstars, LOD Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Rear Bumper/Carrier,Poison Spyder Sliders, Poison Spyder EVAP Skid, KMC Strikes on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
ZeroTolerance
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I have now. No planning on going back with those since they wore down faster than expected.
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You'll probably want to stay away from KM2's then. They have a pretty soft compound and aren't going to last any longer than the Duratracs. It's always a good idea to rotate your tires about every 5k. It really does make a huge difference, even on rigs as light as Wranglers.
2012 Rubicon JKUR: 4" Tera Flex Long Arm, Fox 2.0 Shocks w/resi, Fox Stabi, Yukon 5:13's, Evo C gussets, Evo Magnum Sleeves, Evo Rockstars, LOD Stubby Bumper, Poison Spyder Rock Brawler Rear Bumper/Carrier,Poison Spyder Sliders, Poison Spyder EVAP Skid, KMC Strikes on 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
ZeroTolerance
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 141 View Post
You'll probably want to stay away from KM2's then. They have a pretty soft compound and aren't going to last any longer than the Duratracs. It's always a good idea to rotate your tires about every 5k. It really does make a huge difference, even on rigs as light as Wranglers.
Thanks
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've ran multiple sets of Toyos on my Diesels, but nothing under 37's... So I can't really give you any reference how the 33's will be. Most Toyos are pretty stiff, but they balance well and they do last a long time. I switched from Km2's to the Nitto trail grappler and they are real comparable to Toyos. They are a heavier tire like the Toyo as well.
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
ZeroTolerance
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've ran multiple sets of Toyos on my Diesels, but nothing under 37's... So I can't really give you any reference how the 33's will be. Most Toyos are pretty stiff, but they balance well and they do last a long time. I switched from Km2's to the Nitto trail grappler and they are real comparable to Toyos. They are a heavier tire like the Toyo as well.
What was the reason behind switching from the KM2's to the Nitto Trail
Grapplers?
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think I had tires that were produced on the night shift by a crew that smoked a fat sack of chronic before work. They rode worse than an old set of bias ply swampers. One tire was so off it had 13 oz of weight on it. I made them take that tire back. I've had 33" KM2's on my TJ and they rode like a dream, so I figured that I'd roll with KM2's on my JK. Maybe it was just a bad run of tires? The Nitto's ride really nice and are pretty quiet for a mud tire as well.
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
ZeroTolerance
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I had tires that were produced on the night shift by a crew that smoked a fat sack of chronic before work. They rode worse than an old set of bias ply swampers. One tire was so off it had 13 oz of weight on it. I made them take that tire back. I've had 33" KM2's on my TJ and they rode like a dream, so I figured that I'd roll with KM2's on my JK. Maybe it was just a bad run of tires? The Nitto's ride really nice and are pretty quiet for a mud tire as well.
Gotcha, thanks.
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is it worth 9lbs a tire to settle for an over rated underperforming tire? There are much better tires out there than BFG KM2's if your looking to save a little weight over the Toyos.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.