Tire Pressure for 33x12.50 and Tire Size Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire Pressure for 33x12.50 and Tire Size Question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Pressure for 33x12.50 and Tire Size Question

Hey guys have 2 questions.

1.What tire pressure do you run in your 33's for street use? Please let me know.

2. Will 35 x12.50 tires fit under my 00 TJ Sport with 3 " Teraflex Lift? I think I am fine but just want some other thoughts! As always, Thanks!

blackout00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

tyre pressure depends on what tyres and the setup of your vehicle. you will get loads of answers. for example I run 18-20 psi street pressure in my 33" MTRs

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
$lick
1997 TJ Wrangler 

30 psi on my BFG A/T 33 1250's and no 35s would not be logical with a 3 inch lift.

Suspension specs:
RE 3.5, 1.25 JKS BL
Old Man Emu shocks
Teraflex adjustable front trac bar
JKS Disco's
Axle specs:
Dana 30- Superior 4.88's
Detriot tru-trac locker
Dana 35- Superior 4.88's
Riding on:
33x12.50 BFG A/T
Black Cragar soft 8's
$lick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

For 33" tires, 28 psi is a good street pressure that will insure your tires wear properly.

No, a 3" lift is not enough for 35" tires, not even close.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
BluesMan
2001 TJ Wrangler 

33x12.5 BFG MT at 28. I have not chalked them yet to see if it's the best choice.
Unread 05-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
TJafflicted

im @ 28 psi currently. id say 24-28 is a good pressure to try out..i will probably try 26 when im bored enough to mess with it.
Unread 05-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I run 28 PSI in my 33" BFG's...

DH
Unread 05-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
orangetj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

30 psi 33x12.50 bfg muds
Unread 05-13-2007, 12:32 AM   #9
chobeegators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just read in JP magazine that if you chaulk your tire then run it down the road a little ways you can tell if your over inflated, under inflated or at the right pressure. Depends on how the wear pattern is. Hope that helps.
chobeegators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
Difranco

Pressure is going to depend on the make/model of tire and the weight of your Jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=tire+pressure
Orange Jeep Club Member #13--Metalhead Jeep Club Member #13--Poseur Jeep Club Member #13
Gun Control: Means never having to say "I missed you!"

FOR SALE: OE Rubicon Shocks / OE Rear Bumper / OE 3rd Brake light / OE Front Trackbar / OE Rear Trackbar -- PM for details and make your best offer.
Difranco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #11
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

I run 24 in my MT/r's and physically 35's will fit but will rub off road. For pure street use, they will work but so does a Civic.
Unread 05-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the good answers. I guess I am going to stick with 33" tires. I also am running about 28 psi in the tires now. Thanks again....keep them coming if you have more suggestions.
Unread 05-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm running 33" BFG Muds on 15X10's and I keep 'em at 30 PSI for the street and they're wearing excellent. Never done the chalk test but like I said they're wearing fine. I actually bumped 'em up to 35 PSI yesterday and it cruises awesome now. Gona have to chalk 'em though to see if it's affected the wear pattern.
Unread 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
blackout00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread. Like the formula. I am running 28 now...seems a bit stiff. Going to go back down to 26 and see how that works. Thanks again for everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difranco
Pressure is going to depend on the make/model of tire and the weight of your Jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=tire+pressure
Unread 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Answers:

1) I have 33 X 11.3 tires and by much testing and trial and error, I've established that they run best at 29 psi cold pressure tested in morning before driving. The local tire stores and also some online guys say they should run with 28 to 30 psi for my tires and vehicle weight (LJ Rubi). At 28 I get to much body roll. At 30+ it rides to rough. So 29 seems a good compromise for my 33 X 11.3 tires. Now your tires are wider, so I'd guess they run better at about 1 psi less than mine (just a guess).

2) I don't see how you could possibly fit 35 tires, unless you got the Highline Body Kit from AEV installed, which lifts and enlarges the fenders so that you can take 33" tires with no lift, 35" tires with 2" lift, or 37" tires with 3" lift, according to what users of that product have told me. Other than this kit, I don't see any way you're getting 35" tires on a Jeep with a 3" lift. AEV also sells wheels that are made to fit 35" to 37" tires on Jeeps with their Highline body kit and a 2" or 3" lift.

Also, the proper tire pressure partly depends on the relationship of wheel width to tire width. With an 8" wide wheel and a 33" x 12.5" tire, 28 psi sounds correct, but I run 29 psi cause my tire is 33" X 11.3" wide on an 8" rim.

If the rim were wider, say a 10" rim, then you could run a bit more pressure and still have a flatter foot print for better wear and street traction. So if you have a 10" rim with a 33 X 12.5 tire, then 30 psi, or perhaps even a bit more, is appropriate. The flatter footprint and higher tire pressure is why a wider rim in relation to the tire is better on street for street performance and fuel economy. This according to a couple of local tire stores in my area, and also what a wheel manufacturer tech told me on the phone.

However, the narrower rim holds a bead better when aired down off-road, as many at this very site have said many times.

We aren't making street rigs here, but I'm also not making a dedicated off-road rig either. I want the best all purpose, versatile, on and off road result. So that's one reason I prefer a medium width rim (like a 9" wide) cause then I can get a nice compromise between on and off road performance. Another reason I like a medium width rim is cause it suits my medium width tire preference (also for versatility).

Anyhow, the best tire pressure depends partly on tire size and vehicle weight. It also depends on the rim width, and depends on the load range of the tire. A higher load range tire on the same vehicle is a stiffer tire with stiffer side walls. So less air would probably be desirable when tire has a higher load range.

I think that for most Wranglers, a load range D tire is most appropriate. However, for anyone wanting the very most tear resistant sidewalls, then load range E. Personally, I'll stick with D because it rides smoother and is lighter weight than E. I don't care for load range C tires because I think the side walls are to wimpy even for trail use. However, my trails are wild. So maybe my view is skewed there.

Last edited by CB3; 05-14-2007 at 12:33 AM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.