Tire Help (245/60/18) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire Help (245/60/18)

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Mainly, I'm scared maybe the larger GY's would rub on something.

Unread 03-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
Mainly, I'm scared maybe the larger GY's would rub on something.
I did my research and found numerous WK owners running tires on stock setups that were 31.x" in diameter even with the 18" wheel (as long as that "x" is less than 5ish). I'd be more concerned with the effects of a 1" larger tire on your hp/torque, but if your WK is anything like my XJ, a slightly larger tire only serves to enhance highway MPG.

I would guess that the LE2 has less rolling resistance than the Adventure which translates to better MPG, so the LE2 would be cheaper in the long run as well as saving $130 right now. In any case, good luck with the final decision.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #18
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I did my research and found numerous WK owners running tires on stock setups that were 31.x" in diameter even with the 18" wheel (as long as that "x" is less than 5ish). I'd be more concerned with the effects of a 1" larger tire on your hp/torque, but if your WK is anything like my XJ, a slightly larger tire only serves to enhance highway MPG.
No rubbing issues even while braking and cornering, or at wheel-lock?
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #19
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No rubbing issues even while braking and cornering, or at wheel-lock?
No rubbing in any situation was reported until about 31". Even then reports were minor rubbing at full turn or concerns about rubbing on a bolt that sticks down (which can be easily trimmed), and it seemed to be highly debatable probably due to variances in dimensions from one tire to another and/or other factors.

Here's a post I dug up from a guy who wrestled with getting AT's on his 18" wheels and went with 265/60r18 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/a.../#post7944788). He did say that he was getting extremely gentle rubbing at full lock. He could not hear it or otherwise notice it and only knew because he saw signs of the paint being rubbed on the suspension arms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobholthaus View Post
Okay boys, just had the Revo 2s installed. These are 265/60-18 on OEM GC wheels (08 Limited wheels). Although the clearance is tight, they fit and are not rubbing anywhere. They are VERY close to the bolt though. If the actual tread itself were wider (not the 265, but the way the tread was designed - like on one of the other brands mentioned in this thread), they may rub, requiring a spacer. I'm going to see how these go for a couple of weeks before I decide to spend the money/time on spacers. If anything, I'd go with a 1/4" or 1/2" spacer, so that I can use the factory lug nuts, but I'd prefer not to use spacers if not necessary. See pics below. I pretty much accomplished what I was looking for, which was a more aggressive tire without going over the top. It's weird looking at them as I'm not used to them yet (they do fill out the wheel well a slight bit more - I believe I've given the new size differentials in the thread above). I don't think I need a lift with the 1" increase in height, but if this wasn't my daily driver, for the $390 the local shop quoted me, I'd go for it. I'll keep you posted over the next couple of weeks on how these sound on the highway and if I have any further thoughts or rubbing issues. The good news is is that they worked, so now we have five or six tire options in an A/T type tire for the 18" OEM wheels! Yahoo.

First pic is OEM Fortera's in 245/60-18 and second pic is Revo 2s in 265/60-18.
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #20
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
No rubbing in any situation was reported until about 31". Even then reports were minor rubbing at full turn or concerns about rubbing on a bolt that sticks down (which can be easily trimmed), and it seemed to be highly debatable probably due to variances in dimensions from one tire to another and/or other factors.
These tires are 31.1" :/
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....WATA&tab=Specs
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #21
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well, that's because you picked 255/65. The 265/60's are 30.5"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....AOWL&tab=Specs
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #22
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Well, that's because you picked 255/65. The 265/60's are 30.5"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....AOWL&tab=Specs
But they are also wider, and at the big end for that rim width. Is it advisable to run a 7.5-9.5" rated tire on a 7.5" wide rim, or will I run into issues, there with treadware or poor handling?

Also, is width a factor for rubbing on these vehicles? I have not looked into it, as I am only about a month into ownership, but on all my sports cars, width was the killer for rubbing.
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #23
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Tempted just to go with Destination LE2. They are a proven tire from everything I am seeing, and should do great for mild off-road excursions. By that, I mean a crappy driveway or something.
Unread 03-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #24
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

WARNING: Glad you expressed concern on this issue because I wouldn't have found this otherwise. 265/60r18 is too big to fit in the spare tire location without modifying the surrounding area of the spare mount location. It can be modified to fit the larger tire if you are capable. If you want a full size spare (always wise on a 4wd vehicle and useful for doing a 5-wheel tire rotation to extend tread life if your spare wheel matches your other four) and want it to fit in the stock location, you can't use 265/60r18.

If your spare wheel is identical to your other four, I do recommend that you consider getting a tire size that will fit in the spare location and buying 5 tires. Then use a 5-tire rotation. Your tires will last 20% longer (time-wise) due to the 5th tire being incorporated in the rotation. You must rotate regularly, however (though you should rotate regularly anyway).

Quote:
But they are also wider, and at the big end for that rim width. Is it advisable to run a 7.5-9.5" rated tire on a 7.5" wide rim, or will I run into issues, there with treadware or poor handling?

Also, is width a factor for rubbing on these vehicles? I have not looked into it, as I am only about a month into ownership, but on all my sports cars, width was the killer for rubbing.
The width is fine for that wheel, and I even provided an example of someone using this exact size successfully. There are many more out there, but I figured one example would suffice. Width can lead to rubbing, but this size fits without rubbing (unless you count the scuffing of the suspension arms which will stop once a minuscule amount of treadwear from driving has occurred).

If 265/60r18 makes you too nervous, but you're still tempted to get a more aggressive tire, General AT2 (maybe a bit too aggressive for you), Hankook ATM, Nitto Terra Grappler are stupendously good AT tires that come in 255/60r18. That's about 30 x 10"--only 0.5" taller and wider than your stock size and might even fit in the stock spare location (a little extra research needed to confirm/deny). The guy who modified his spare location to accept a larger tire (bytehoven) did say that he felt the stock location should fit a tire up to 30" in diameter without modification.
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

I did not read the entire post but... looks like you are worried about rubbing.

I ran my stock wheels with a OME MD lift running 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and it DID rub and full lock.

Yet other than that I was very happy.

You get the tires yet?

Also like stated above you would have to do some modifications in order to get one to fit in the spare.
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #26
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcginnis87 View Post
I did not read the entire post but... looks like you are worried about rubbing.

I ran my stock wheels with a OME MD lift running 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers and it DID rub and full lock.

Yet other than that I was very happy.

You get the tires yet?

Also like stated above you would have to do some modifications in order to get one to fit in the spare.
Not yet. I'm ordering them in a few weeks. Plugs, 4WD fluids, Trans fluid, shocks/struts have taken up my cash for this month that I allotted to the Jeep.
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
smcginnis87
4X4WK

2007 WK 

Well if ya want I can help you out on the tires.
smcginnis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #28
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcginnis87 View Post
Well if ya want I can help you out on the tires.
I'm more than open to help. PM or post in thread. Or email. Jwg223@computermail.net

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.