Tire Help. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire Help.

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
hanna
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tire Help.

I need to replace my tires on my jeep grand cherokee 1999(Inline 6). I brought the car used. Its currently has Pirelli Scorpion ATR these tires are not so great on ice. Is there a good All-season or All-terian tire? I was looking to get the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (SUV).

hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

No tire is very good on ice without studs. Do you really mean ice or do you mean ice and snow and all that other wintery goodness? Those Pirellis really are crap in winter conditions. Charley has a post about AT tires right here on page 1 that you should read (he tends to keep his OP updated so you do t have to reD through the whole thread. There are quite a few highway and AT tires that handle winter quite well, but if your interest is in ice alone, then you'll need at least winter/snow tires and studs would be best.

Sent from my phone
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cooper Discoverer AT3 are (according to reviews) good on snow, OK on ice (for an AT). I own Cooper AT3, but haven't yet tried them on Winter roads.

Hankook ATM (according to reviews) are good on snow, good on ice (for an AT).

Hercules AT2 (according to reviews) are good on snow, very good on ice (for an AT).

Nokian AT (according to reviews) are good on snow, very good on ice (for an AT).

General Grabber AT2 (according to reviews) are good on snow, good on ice (for an AT).

Those are All Terrain tires. I think the last 4 choices are Winter rated (indicated by snow flake/mountain symbol).

===

Hankook Ipike Winter tires are Winter tires that can be used year round. The ATs I mentioned are actually quite capable on snow and good enough on ice (IMO) but the Hankook I-Pike are as good on snow and even better on ice. However, the I-Pike aren't as tough off road as as AT tires.

Hercules Avalanche Xtreme SUV is another excellent Winter tire that can be used year round. Hercules is USA owned and manufactured in USA too. Hankook is Korean. The Hercules Avalanche X-treme SUV tire is offered in more sizes, especially taller sizes than the Hankook or Nokian snow tires. So that's a huge advantage for SUV owners.

I like my Hankook I-Pike passenger tires very much on my Buick car, but next time I'm going to try Hercules Avalanche X-treme passenger tires.

The Avalance is made in passenger and SUV load ranges and sizes.

Both the Nokian I-Pike and the Avalanche X-treme last around 45K miles of year round use.

===

I own Cooper AT3 on my Jeep and Hankook I-Pike on my Buick car. I previously owned General Grabber AT2 and BFG AT on Jeeps.

Note: BFG AT are good on snow, but poor on ice, IME.
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OP, what size wheels do you have?
Unread 12-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
No tire is very good on ice without studs.
I disagree. There are lots of modern tires (without studs) that are good enough on ice.

A good well siped AT is good enough on ice when I'm driving. Same for any skilled driver using a Winter rated AT.

There are also lots of dedicated Winter tires that don't need studs. They're plenty good on ice. Some claim to be as good or better on ice than studs.

On wet and dry pavment, studs are detrimental to traction. So for those conditions no studs is better.
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My General Grabber AT2s performed beautifully the last couple of days on 6" of snow/ice. Much of the time in 2wd, no slipping or drama of any kind. They are studable, but I don't think I'll ever need them.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Tires with lots of sipes will help, but nothing is really good on ice except for chains. Even then, you have to use common sense.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
My General Grabber AT2s performed beautifully the last couple of days on 6" of snow/ice. Much of the time in 2wd, no slipping or drama of any kind. They are studable, but I don't think I'll ever need them.
I have always heard good things about their Winter traction. They are snow flake rated, correct?
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I have always heard good things about their Winter traction. They are snow flake rated, correct?
Most sizes are snow flake, including my size LT245/75x16 and your size 30x9.5-15LT.
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Studded tires are the best option on pure ice but that's about it. Tire store will try to get you to buy studded tires because the studs wear out in a year or two while stud less tires will last you several seasons. What they won't tell you abou studded tires is that they have increased stopping distance and poor cornering on dry pavement, which usually is most of your driving conditions. How often do you really have ice and not snow or dry pavement is the question and can you just slow down when there is ice?
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Most sizes are snow flake, including my size LT245/75x16 and your size 30x9.5-15LT.
They probably rated the narrow sizes snow flake rated.
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Studless Winter Tires vs Studded Winter Tires

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...test/index.htm

http://www.nokiantires.com/studded-or-friction-tires

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...ds-or-studless

Those sources do say studded is better for ice, BUT studless Winter tires are plenty good enough on ice for me and I can run them year round because mine are rated for year round use.

Studless Winter tires are great on snow and BETTER on wet and dry pavement.

Studless Winter tires are VERY convenient and affordable because you can run them year round (and still get 40K to 50K miles from them). So you only need to own one set of tires and wheels. Also, studless last many more miles than studs.
Note: I'm referring to Studless Winter tires that are rated for year round use (such as Hercules Avalanche Xtreme and Hankook Ipike Winter). I'm NOT referring to the "Winter use only" studless Winter tires (like Blizzak) which are expensive and don't last long.
So which type Winter tire is better for you? You decide.
Unread 12-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

However, the OP wants an AT that works well enough in Winter and year round.

For that I recommend Hankook ATM or Hercules AT2. Those are good ATs year round and are better in Winter conditions that most ATs.

The General Grabber AT2 is another AT good for year round and Winter, but it rides ROUGH on bumps.

The Hercules Avalanche Xtreme LT is not an AT. It's a Winter tire rated for year round use. However, I think it could be used just fine as an AT year round (if you aren't abusing sidewalls on stumps and rocks) and it'd be awesome for Winter.
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
They probably rated the narrow sizes snow flake rated.
The LT265/75x16, LT285/75x16, LT295/75x16, and LT315/75x16 are also snow flake.
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The LT265/75x16, LT285/75x16, LT295/75x16, and LT315/75x16 are also snow flake.
OK. Well, even so, narrower is better for Winter roads.

For my curiosity, which sizes are not Winter rated?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.