Tire decision - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire decision

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Bigtom04
2000 WJ 

Tire decision

i know my jeep came with p245/70/16.. i was looking at the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO but i wanna do the LT245/75/16 that inch difference in height how bad will my speedo be off?? And If its off how can it be fixed? thank you

Bigtom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

You'll be traveling 3% faster than your speedometer says you are. For example, at 60 mph on your speedo, you'll actually be going 62; about 31 when speedo says 30.

To recalibrate the speedo/odometer (yes, trip and odometer readings will be wrong, too; even a 3% error can add-up to a pretty inaccurate odometer over time...if you care about that sort of thing), you need to reprogram the computer. There are tools you can get, or you can have a stealership do it for you for like $60-70ish.
Try THIS.
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Bigtom04
2000 WJ 

Thank you for your help, I'll talk to my local dealer and ask them about the recalibration, how much is the tool to do it myself? And you don't think there will be a rubbing issue do you?
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

The size you're talking about getting is about 30.5". You may need to look up max tire size under a stock WJ to be sure because I'm not an expert on all things WJ, but I think you MIGHT be OK. Don't start a new thread asking if that tire size will fit--do a search. I'm sure it's been covered a TON already. I'm not sure about he tools' prices because my XJ doesn't use them--I merely have to pop a little gear in/out of my transfer case.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
WXman
2001 WJ 

WJs are notorious for having very little room for larger tires and for having springs that sag really bad over time. My advise would be to install a spacer lift first. You can do that for less than $150 bucks. Then you'll know for certain that you can go up 1 or 2 sizes with tires and be perfectly fine.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Bigtom04
2000 WJ 

I was already thinking of the 2" spring lift for the truck already... so I'll have to do some research cause I really want these tires for my jeep
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your speedo might not be off at all.

I switched my XJ from 225/75R15 to 30 x 9.5 R15 tires (two tire sizes larger) and then used a GPS speedometer program that I loaded into my Android phone to check the XJ's speedometer.

It was dead on accurate with 30" tires. It must have been a bit off with the stock tires.

I suggest you use a GPS device, or a GPS program loaded into a smart phone, to test your speed and compare to your Jeep's speedometer.

Your speedometer might already be fine with 245/75R16 tires. My guess is that changing one tire size isn't enough to make it off.

Test it and find out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.