Tire decision - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire decision

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #46
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well so far they seem pretty good.. Haven't put them to the real test just yet, but as far as road traction, they seem pretty good.. Held me on the road through the hurricane gusts.. I will try to post a picture of them on my rig if I can.. If you don't like some road noise, then don't bother.. It's not as bad as some vehicles I've ridden in but noisier than my previous tires..

KrazyK3nn3dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #47
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #48
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #49
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Now go wheel it!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #50
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully will this weekend.. I will be sure to report back as soon as I get the chance..
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #51
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got them off the road.. I must say I am very impressed.. Aired down to 20, and first thing I noticed was a smoother ride compared to my previous treads aired down.. The tread cleared out rather quickly (less than 25ft at 10mph).. They gripped pretty good in the silt basin which was flooded thanks to the hurricane.. For those who don't know or have never experienced wet silt, it is comparable to mud and wet sand combined.. No skidding when I would make sudden stops (on dry dirt).. No cracked or missing pieces of tread.. Gave great confidence in muddy terrain.. They saved my rig as well from possible severe damage.. Being over confident with my new meats, I decided to tackle " the puddle"..

It is a long body of water close to 200 ft long with a slightly mucky bottom.. I knew the treads could manage the muck and I stayed away from the main ruts as I would surely bottom out.. There was a reason that those ruts were so worn in, however, this wasn't made apparent until it was too late.. The "puddle" ended up being much deeper than a puddle on that side.. About a quarter of the way out I begin to feel less and less mucky traction underneath me and more of a bobbing/floating sensation.. I believe that along with the very little traction in the muck the treads also acted like paddles to allow me to "alligator" (as my friend put it) across to safety.. It was terrifying.. A little off topic but maybe someone knows why.. After my aquatic adventure, my battery gauge was down to the 9, which I thought I may have shorted my battery or alternator.. It read 9 until I took the risk and shut down the engine, it then dropped a little more so I figured it wasn't the gauge that was damaged.. well if the alternator was shot, then the battery wouldn't charge or if the battery shorted, then maybe the alternator was keeping it running.. Well when I restarted my rig on the first try, it started smoothly and the gauge then read approx. 12.. then it moved up to 14, then back to 12, and finally back to 14 where it has been every time I have driven it since.. Any ideas??

Sorry about the tangent, but all in all, I love my new tires, they were an amazing deal.. I will have to give a more long term update as far as tread life after a while, but so far they seem to be holding up well.. some spots still even have the little nubs of rubber on them.. I will gladly answer any questions you may have about them if I know the answer.. Thanks..
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #52
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Side note I forgot to mention previously.. Unless you have the equipment, or know someone who does.. Try to mention as little as possible about the tires to whomever you try to get to mount and balance them.. Just about everywhere I went would not do it because I purchased them off the internet and those that did not mind that, would not do it because they were retreads.. Two places were willing to do it for me and the one only because I mentioned nothing more than I had some tires that needed to be mounted and balanced.. Pep Boys and Mr. Tire, Pep Boys being the ones who did it for me.. I must say they were very professional and friendly as well.. I was watching and talking to the guy the whole time, I also got a compliment on my rig as well.. Just thought I would mention that because it was a problem I hadn't even considered when I ordered my treads.. I hope this thread was helpful and informative to anyone who is looking for the next new set of treads..
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #53
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Glad you like em.. I've had good experiences with Pep-boys as well. Seem much more friendly yet professional compared to other chains.

Unread 11-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #54
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to see how these tires act when aired down to the 12-14 psi range. 20 psi isn't really aired down.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #55
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know that, but I don't have a need, nor wanted to risk airing down that far.. I have the bf goodrich ko cores though and they have the "rim guard" or whatever you want to call it that makes it appear as though you could without too much worry.. Just keep in mind that they are technically rebuilt tires and though I trust the condition of the core, I'd rather be safe than sorry.. Maybe one day I'll truly "air down", but for now, 20psi worked well enough for me
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #56
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've read about them being aired down and up just fine...

Unread 11-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #57
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok.. But for what exactly would I need to go that low for?? As stated in my profile, I'm still a novice with off-roading.. I figured it would be more for larger rocks, thick mud, steep inclines.. All of which are pretty rare other than the mud..
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #58
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Really depends... I mean I didn't air down for awhile. But with my KM2's now I usually go down to 15 psi. Even on basic trails, sharp rocks and pointy branches can kill a sidewall.

Unread 11-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #59
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyK3nn3dy View Post
Ok.. But for what exactly would I need to go that low for?? As stated in my profile, I'm still a novice with off-roading.. I figured it would be more for larger rocks, thick mud, steep inclines.. All of which are pretty rare other than the mud..
If you're just driving on dirt roads you probably don't need to air down at all, but if you are on any kind of rougher terrain you'll have a much better ride. Airing down helps in many ways, but the better ride is worth it alone.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about airing down the retreads; a few in our club have had them and never had any issues. Plus if airing down a tire causes issues because it's a retread I'd be wary about driving on it regardless. I'd say its a non-issue.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.