Tire decision - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire decision

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
In that price range, your only other legit tire would be the Falken Wildpeaks which are actually superior in tread design compared to the BFG's (out-dated). I was very close to buying them, so I did a lot of research. The Falkens have great traction in rain and are equal to BFG's in winter conditions. They also will clean out better in mud... just look how the tread blocks line up. Another thing to consider is sidewall strength. The wildpeaks are near bulletproof, just search on youtube. Very impressive. They are a heavier tire and are harder to balance on some occasions. I feel the performance outweighs how heavy they are.
He is talking about the ruged Terrain which is bfg new tire that is close to the falken tread. Not the bfg all Terrain. Which I do agree is an out dated design.

Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Fairway
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Normally I would just blow off tire guy talk as well, but the group I was talking to was fairly knowledgeable about jeeps. Several of them were Jeep owners, and while mine was up on the lift we talked jeeps for a bit.

Ultimately, there are a lot of competent tire companies. Most of them make some good tires, some so-so, and a few they are not extremely proud of. We see this in every brand related discussion on the forum. What I find sad is people going nuts if someone recommends a brand they had a bad experience with or doesn't support one they like.
Fairway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
Normally I would just blow off tire guy talk as well, but the group I was talking to was fairly knowledgeable about jeeps. Several of them were Jeep owners, and while mine was up on the lift we talked jeeps for a bit.

Ultimately, there are a lot of competent tire companies. Most of them make some good tires, some so-so, and a few they are not extremely proud of. We see this in every brand related discussion on the forum. What I find sad is people going nuts if someone recommends a brand they had a bad experience with or doesn't support one they like.
You can listen to whomever you'd like, but the point that you seem not to be getting is that the Falkens have been proven in much tougher circumstances than you or your tire guys will ever see.
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #19
Fairway
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I get what you are saying. I don't even disagree with it. I'm just not going to waste any more time or thread trying to explain it to you.
Fairway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was pretty set on the falkens before reading this thread...and just for the record, my tire guy (also a jeeper) had nothing bad and everything good to say about them. As well as noting, unsolicited, every single downfall to the Goodyear mtr that I have personally noticed...which people on here seem to rave about.

So, you know, opinions are opinions...

Pricewise, my local shop has given me a quote for buy 3, get one...$700 and change, iirc.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff1918 View Post
He is talking about the ruged Terrain which is bfg new tire that is close to the falken tread. Not the bfg all Terrain. Which I do agree is an out dated design.
Gotcha, well its hard to say about those since they were just released. I've seen them on campus on a smaller Tacoma. They look cool but they're more like an all-season rather an all-terrain. The Falkens have an 18/32" tread depth in most sizes. I wouldn't put that in the same category as the rugged-terrain.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Kenda-Klev...6ed3b0&vxp=mtr
check these out
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just based on Kendas quality of mountain bike tires, I would never put them on my Jeep
Ironhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #24
afguy1980
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Have u tried Craigslist?
afguy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so I did a little more looking around.. and the treadwright guarddogs did get my attention.. I do understand that they are retreads and what that entails.. So I was wondering, any personal experience with those?? Also, every tire will have their horror stories, so I am taking everything mentioned with as open a mind as possible..
KrazyK3nn3dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

also, I have not and will not try craigslist, ebay, or anything like that.. it's too risky to justify what I would save..
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #27
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bought tires from craigslist... pair of BFG's. Drove with them at 40 psi (my fault). The dryrot and over inflation caused them to blow out. I was going 60 on Rt 80. Almost crashed. The tread took out my whole rear corner. Look for pics in my build thread. Anyways the Treadwrights are alot more reliable than you think. I would definitely look into them.

Unread 10-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Decided to go with the treadwrights... just have to wait 5 to 6 weeks for matching cores.. Thanks for all the help..
Unread 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #29
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyK3nn3dy View Post
Decided to go with the treadwrights... just have to wait 5 to 6 weeks for matching cores.. Thanks for all the help..
Post stome pics and your opinion on them once their installed. Might help out other jeepers.

Unread 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
I've learned to pass most of the "tire guy" stories as BS. When I just got my KM2's mounted, they aired all of them up to 40 psi Also, if you read my first post, you'll see I referenced you towards youtube. There you can find footage of John Currie piloting his stock-modified class TJ on Falken Wildpeaks through one of the toughest offroad races in the country... King of Hammers. The only changes they made to the tire were some additional grooving. That rig ended up taking first in its class and I think the unlimited class as well, which is very impressive in my eyes.
Oh that's it huh? So it's a totally different tire really.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.