Tire decision - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire decision

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tire decision

I have a 97 wrangler and am looking to get some new tires.. The size currently on my rig are 31x10.5 R15.. I was looking at the BFG Rugged Terrain T/As, They are at the max for my budget (approx $790 with all said and done [$164.99 each]).. I have read some pretty good reviews about them, but I would like to get the most out of my investment..

Any experience or input on these tires or suggestions for a better tire are appreciated.. Noise and comfort are not a priority for me.. They just need to perform well in snow and rain with occasional off-road use (maybe 7days out of the month).. the conditions of the trails are rocks about the size of bricks to the size of cinder blocks, shale, mud/swamp, and coal dirt (silt). the mud and swamp can be somewhat avoided if need be and I do have recovery gear if I would get stuck. It is also my daily driver so 85% of the time they will be on road.. Anything higher than $165/ tire will not be considered unless there is major reason to.. Thank you for your help..

KrazyK3nn3dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

In that price range, your only other legit tire would be the Falken Wildpeaks which are actually superior in tread design compared to the BFG's (out-dated). I was very close to buying them, so I did a lot of research. The Falkens have great traction in rain and are equal to BFG's in winter conditions. They also will clean out better in mud... just look how the tread blocks line up. Another thing to consider is sidewall strength. The wildpeaks are near bulletproof, just search on youtube. Very impressive. They are a heavier tire and are harder to balance on some occasions. I feel the performance outweighs how heavy they are.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
stokerdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I was with a Taco with a near new set of those tires on Spring Creek Sat. Just plain awful. On rock soft dirt and a little snow. I your on a budget get some Falken Wild Peaks or Tread Wright Guard Dogs. There are plenty of threads about both these tires
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
MooSe7
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For about $10 more per tire you could get Goodyear DuraTracs.

$176 each for 31x10.5r15 per tire rack
Unread 10-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooSe7 View Post
For about $10 more per tire you could get Goodyear DuraTracs.

$176 each for 31x10.5r15 per tire rack
I got my Duratracs,but 33's for 5 mounted balanced out the door for $960. They are a great tire in all conditions.

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Duratracs are great for snow and general trail use, but they're sidewalls are known to be weak and I've seen them bog up with mud sometimes, not as bad as BFG's, but still.

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Trendsetter75
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Goodyear Duratracs
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
KrazyK3nn3dy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you all.. I will do some more research.. Appreciate the input..
KrazyK3nn3dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Fairway
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Personally, I wouldn't buy Falkens. A few of the guys where I work warned against them as well as the local tire shop. To be fair, I never owned them myself. I ran Definity AT's (which I'm pretty sure are bridgestones brand labeled for Pep boys). For on road use and snow I never had any issues with them. I didn't offroad with them, got 50k miles out of them no sweat. At the time I got them for $455 out the door, but I repriced them recently and they will be more in the $600 range.
Fairway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway
Personally, I wouldn't buy Falkens. A few of the guys where I work warned against them as well as the local tire shop. To be fair, I never owned them myself.
Yeah, they've been so bad on the Currie/Savvy LJ
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
asim04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
Personally, I wouldn't buy Falkens. A few of the guys where I work warned against them as well as the local tire shop. To be fair, I never owned them myself. I ran Definity AT's (which I'm pretty sure are bridgestones brand labeled for Pep boys). For on road use and snow I never had any issues with them. I didn't offroad with them, got 50k miles out of them no sweat. At the time I got them for $455 out the door, but I repriced them recently and they will be more in the $600 range.
Curious, what did they warn you about? I heard nothing but great reviews about the Falkens.
asim04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #12
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Where are yall buying Falkens for less than $225 a pop? Thats the cheapest they can be had for locally

edit: In the 33x12.5 variety

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
Fairway
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Again, on the Falkens I'm only going by local word of mouth. Few people I worked with were unhappy with them and said aside from looking great they didn't provide any kind of traction. The local tire shop I was at (I was having a my wheels balanced and ended up talking jeeps with the guys for a little while) said the get tons of complaints on them. I wouldn't have said anything except that it was pretty much a concensus opinion.
Fairway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #14
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairway View Post
Again, on the Falkens I'm only going by local word of mouth. Few people I worked with were unhappy with them and said aside from looking great they didn't provide any kind of traction. The local tire shop I was at (I was having a my wheels balanced and ended up talking jeeps with the guys for a little while) said the get tons of complaints on them. I wouldn't have said anything except that it was pretty much a concensus opinion.
I've learned to pass most of the "tire guy" stories as BS. When I just got my KM2's mounted, they aired all of them up to 40 psi Also, if you read my first post, you'll see I referenced you towards youtube. There you can find footage of John Currie piloting his stock-modified class TJ on Falken Wildpeaks through one of the toughest offroad races in the country... King of Hammers. The only changes they made to the tire were some additional grooving. That rig ended up taking first in its class and I think the unlimited class as well, which is very impressive in my eyes.

Unread 10-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #15
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
That rig ended up taking first in its class and I think the unlimited class as well, which is very impressive in my eyes.
Unlimited? No. Stock and stock modified? Yes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.