Tire Choice - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tire Choice

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #16
ForumKing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I use the BFG AT's and love them. Just about done with my second set and would purchase them again for the third time. If your jeep is your DD and some trails, these tires would be great.

I think however I might look into the duratracs when I go shopping to see what they are all about.

ForumKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
wolfrivercc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know if you can find them but I've always ran a sport king a/t. There fairly cheap have a good tread and last pretty decent. They also make a good m/t too.
wolfrivercc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #18
cgork
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have had a set of duratrak 33-12.50 15's for a couple of months now and I love them. Sort of in between an AT and an MT. More AT I should think. Very quiet on the pavement too. Get them from discount tire and buy the $25 per tire warranty. Can't go wrong in my opinion.
cgork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

BFG AT's last a long time but look ugly(IMO).The BFG KM2's look great,last long and are quiet on the road.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #20
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, I think the BFG AT's do look good (at least on a cherokee, where I am currently running them), they're great in the snow also (not that much experience in the mud).
I also ran the Goodyear MTR's and they ran great for almost 50xxx, but when new they were VERY loud, only quieted down when they wore down a bit.
I have run the Firestone destination AT and they were a good tire but weren't very aggressive looking.
I am running Bridgestone Duelers on my TJ now and they are great in snow/rain, and are quiet on the highway. The tread is wearing good too!
My $0.02
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #21
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
Don't go with pro comp all terrains they are not that great of tire. My friend had them on his super duty they were great on the road but pretty much sucked every else.
Poor (non first hand) advice IMO. Not starting a debate with you, just pointing a few things out. Constructive criticism so to speak.

1. Keep in mind driving style makes a huge difference on whether a tire "sucks" or not. I bought tires that were poorly reviewed by a LOT of people on JF, but I've never had a problem with them and they have never let me down (on road or off) in all weather conditions and plenty of different wheeling conditions.

2. You're comparing a tire between two completely different vehicles. A Wrangler vs. a Ferd Fteen Thousand. The outcome will be different on two wildly different vehicles both on and offroad.

3. Did anyone care to ask Bayview471 what type of offroad driving he does (be it, rocky trails, muddy trails, grassy trails, dry rock, mud pits, etc.) ? I saw a few people jump in and say "such and such tire sucks in the mud blah blah". Obviously he wants an AT, I would assume he's aware an AT is going to perform less than adequate in mud versus an MT. AT least I would hope he knows this.

4. General Grabber AT2 is a great tire if I must say so myself. Basically the same tread design as the BFG AT KO, but much better price. Appears to have the same long life tread wear as a BFG AT KO as well.
skeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #22
millfire517
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTnSahara View Post
Have you ever been in any mud on these? Mine sucked. I like the goodyear wrangler mtr's with kevlar
I recommend the mtr's with kevlar
millfire517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #23
cherokeeshrop91
2009 KK Liberty 

Looking for some help on tires have been thinking about getting a set of Cooper discoverer stt's, or something similar, how do they do o. Wear and offroad, any mAjor problems with them and are they worth the price?
stock but not for long.
cherokeeshrop91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #24
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeebs View Post
Poor (non first hand) advice IMO. Not starting a debate with you, just pointing a few things out. Constructive criticism so to speak.
I guess it was first hand enough that I had to go help dig him out, where I could drive right by in BFG ATs in the same truck just a few years older. His driving style was not the issue it was definitely the tires. All though the terrain he had issues with was snow, not mud.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
skeebs
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
I guess it was first hand enough that I had to go help dig him out, where I could drive right by in BFG ATs in the same truck just a few years older. His driving style was not the issue it was definitely the tires. All though the terrain he had issues with was snow, not mud.

Have you run Pro Comp AT's on a Jeep? not a truck full size truck
skeebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.