Which tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Which tire?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Which tire?

Hey guys. I'm going to be ordering some tires soon and wanted some input on some of it. Here's what I'm looking at:

Nitto Terra Grapplers
Hankook Dynapro
Falken Rocky Mountains
Goodyear Wrangler HP
Toyo Open Country

Lookin at 265/70/17 for all of them. Possibly 285 if I won't whave rubbing issues running the RRO lift with the longer Monroe LLs, Rusty's strut spacers, and no wheel spacers.

Let me know what you think!

2005 Silver WK 4.7L - Silver WK Club #33
slowurroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of driving will you be doing?

I can already rule-out the GY Wra HPs. If you want a highway tire, there are much better options such as Firestone Destination LE2, BFG Rugged Terrain TA, and Kumho Road Venture SAT. Continental CrossContact LX20 and LX Sports are good touring tires. I'm sure there are other great highway tires, but my experience with them is limited.

I can also rule-out the Nittos and possibly the Falkens (both fine tires, though). The Hankook Dynapro (you didn't say WHICH Dynapros, so I'll just assume ATM) ATMs are--and the Toyo OC2s are probably--superior tires of the same basic design/pattern. Additionally, and Charley3 will be along to confirm, Cooper Discoverer AT3 is also of similar design to the Hankook ATMs and Toyo OC2s and is a stellar AT tire.

I don't know if the tires I've added here come in the size you're looking for, but that can easily be looked-up.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
slowurroll
2005 WK 

Well most of my driving is city/highway with some mild offroad use. Thank uou for the input. I will keep that in mind. If you've got any additional input on it after know my type of driving I'm all ears. Thanks again!
2005 Silver WK 4.7L - Silver WK Club #33
slowurroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowurroll View Post
Well most of my driving is city/highway with some mild offroad use. Thank uou for the input. I will keep that in mind. If you've got any additional input on it after know my type of driving I'm all ears. Thanks again!
I'd rule-out highway and touring tires except maybe the FS LE2s due to the "some mild offroad use." I do similar driving and use Kumho SAT, but the Hankooks, Toyos, Falkens, or Coopers would do fine (they're all great, so I'd let price or preferred looks help make the decision).
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have a look at this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
karlo

My vote is for Nitto Terra Grapplers. I had these tires and had no complaints. They are aggressive enough on mud and sand, but not so good on very wet roads. Overall, they are good both on and off the road, and quite on the highway.
karlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.