Tips for a HD SYE? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Tips for a HD SYE?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-13-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tips for a HD SYE?

Got my HD SYE & Driveshaft from Tom Woods today. Anybody have any tips for me? Easier to remove the TC ,or do it with it on the Jeep? Special tools, suggested items?

It's for a 231

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

It is always easier if you remove the tcase but it isn't necessary. It just give you more room to operate.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
bigsteve3184

Get a nice QUALITY pair of snap ring plyers.

www.novajeepers.com
bigsteve3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2003, 01:02 AM   #4
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I've heard about the pliers before too ... that's on the list as a definite...

Igo, I'd think it would require less hassle to leave it up there... less to take apart & put together... ?

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2003, 07:12 AM   #5
bigsteve3184

I guess if you had a creeper w/ an adjustable headrest....but it was nice having it on the workbench. And its easy to put it back in. Its so lite you can just man handle it back in to place.

www.novajeepers.com
bigsteve3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 12:36 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The issue with snap-ring pliers isn't the quality, it's how widely they open. I searched several stores for snap-ring pliers that would open widely enough and finally bought some at NAPA... that didn't quite open as widely as I needed them to and they barely worked... kinda... it was a PITA not having them open widely enough to really be able to properly handle the snap-rings. I finally got a set of snap-ring pliers off the Snap-On truck that opened widely enough, I've never seen any in the stores that opened widely enough. So once again, the plier's quality isn't the issue, it's whether or not they open widely enough... and most do not.

Yes it is definitely MUCH easier and faster to leave the t-case installed to install a SYE kit. There is, honest-to-God, no need to remove the t-case... not in the slightest. Leaving it in actually means some operations can be done without someone there to hold the t-case since it's bolted to the tranny. You'll save time and energy if you just leave it installed.

For more room, back your Jeep up onto car ramps before starting.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 06-15-2003 at 12:38 AM..
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
ecrab3

I heard that duckbill ring pliers are the ones you will definitely need. The bigger the better. Ask around and see if anyone has them, they are supposedly expensive.
ecrab3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2003, 06:21 PM   #8
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I've heard both that you should leave the case in and you should take it out!! SO which is it!!?! my buddy wants to drop mine out but i would rather leave it in, i need some more proof.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.