For those who have wheel spacers. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > For those who have wheel spacers.

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For those who have wheel spacers.

I know there a debated subject so I'm looking for people who have them. I'm looking at Rugged Ridge 1.25 spacers. I know Spidertrax are very good, but I happen to have gift cards to Summit Racing and could get them for around the same price. Any problem using these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rgg-1520102/overview/

mnm99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
etsubchief
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have rugged ridge 1.5s for about 3 months now, no issues so far...
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
nixer600

I used eBay ones. 10k miles no problems 1.25 inch (on a cj7)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
nixer600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Nadamamasboy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ebay here too, no worries
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

3 years on 1.25" RC spacers with 33x12.5s on soft 8s, no issues, I use blue thread locker on the spacer nuts and torque the lug nuts normally, works perfectly well.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think where the problems occur is when you go bigger with the tire. As you move the rim out more leverage is applied to the hub and studs. With bigger tires this is compounded with the leverage already created. Yes I have seen them fail, would I use them no because I have lost a wheel before due to stud failure off road and if it had been on the highway the results would have been catastrophic.... Jon
jeepmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmutiny View Post
I think where the problems occur is when you go bigger with the tire. As you move the rim out more leverage is applied to the hub and studs. With bigger tires this is compounded with the leverage already created. Yes I have seen them fail, would I use them no because I have lost a wheel before due to stud failure off road and if it had been on the highway the results would have been catastrophic.... Jon
Ahhhh. I know this has been debated. Kinda why I said " People WITH wheel spacers" So tell me what the difference is from a wheel with 4" backspacing and a wheel with 5.5 and a 1.5" spacer, leverage wise? Given the spacer is high quality using grade 8 bolts...
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmutiny View Post
Tire size doesn't make any difference, the stock tires are 29", even if you go to 35"s that's a 6" difference, 3" from spacer to tread, and with a 35" tire, close to 3" wider too, leverage is created by backspacing, not circumference.

If you use a well designed spacer, torque and maintain properly, you won't have any trouble.

What not to buy -

The spacer type to buy -

Unread 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ran spacers on my Jeep w/ 2.5" BS beadlocks and 37" tires for a couple years. I bent a few axles, but with how I use the Jeep they would have bent with or w/o the spacers. No spacer related issues for me.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #10
mnm99
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking at the Zone 3" kit. Not sure about 32" or 33" tires yet. Zone says to use 3.75 backspacing with 33". That seems pretty far. My wheels are 5.5" backspacing and I have 1.25-1.5" from tire to rear coil with a 30x9.5 wide tire. If I added a 1.25 spacer and went with a 33x12.5 that would almost make me where I am now, just about 1" from the coil right? With 32x11.5 I will for sure be fine with a 1.25 spacer. I don't need 3.75 backspacing right? I'll be at 4.25 with the spacer.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

3.75" bs with a 1.25" spacer makes 2.5" bs. and 3.75" may not be enough with 33x12.5s, It's not about hitting the coil or flexing into the spring/shock tower, it's about rubbing at full stop when turning, you can adjust your steering stops to limit your turning radius, but why limit your Jeep when spacers will keep your radius.

no spacer -

With the spacer -
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
Tire size doesn't make any difference, the stock tires are 29", even if you go to 35"s that's a 6" difference, 3" from spacer to tread, and with a 35" tire, close to 3" wider too, leverage is created by backspacing, not circumference.

If you use a well designed spacer, torque and maintain properly, you won't have any trouble.

in a static situation, this is correct. but the wheels have a very dynamic load placed on them. a large diameter tire will put more leverage on the lug in any sort of off camber, turning, or side load situation. so, in fact a larger tire will compound the leverage already added to the factory studs by the spacers and wider wheels.

that being said, i've ran 1.5" ebay spacers on my off road ZJ with anywhere from 31-36" tires without issue in some pretty harsh off road conditions.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.