Which of these tires..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Which of these tires.....

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
rob67gmc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Which of these tires.....

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
or
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

I don't do any rock crawling. Dirt/mud/gravel roads, crossing some pastures, maybe over or through some high brush when the fields haven't been bushhogged in awhile.

rob67gmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know guys love them but I HATED the bfg at. I thought it was average in the snow and not great in the rain. And it was dismal Offroad...

Of the 2 I'd consider the Goodyear. Thinking outside those 2 consider a set of falken wild peaks.

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Wild peaks then the duratracs. Obviously 2 different drivers and 2 different rigs. But you can at least see them in action.

That said. The duratracs clear better than the wild peaks.

Just a suggestion since you're looking for what seems to be a mild tire.

Lmk if that's the wrong vid. It's hard to tell on my phone.
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Vic99TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just got a set of duratracs stock size for my rubi. I'm a fan.

Sent from my 03 Rubi!!!
Vic99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Sixbanga
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have never run duratracs or wild peaks but hear great things about both. I have run many of the other at's and mt's and keep going back to bfg. The km2s I took of my jeep yesterday have over 70,000 miles on them and still have around 25% tread depth. They suck on snow and ice but do everything else pretty well. I siped them which did help in the snow more then I expected.
I have never run a tire besides a dedicated snow tire that performed better on snow and ice better then a bfg ko. They may not do great in deep snow but on a daily driver thats the tire I go to. I have 31/10.50/15 ko's on my awd explorer and it never slips or slides on snow or ice period. It's so planted it's boring.
There may be better tires out there for a dd then a bfg but tires cost so much now I dont dare gamble. I know I am getting a tire that will do everything I need on my jeep for 70-80,000 miles with nothing more then a tape measure alighnment and frequent rotations.

Fwiw I used to love coopers and still love the offroad perormence but could not get more then 45,000 miles out of them. Thats around $1000 every 18 months for me.
Sixbanga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love my duratracs

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I run the BFG's all year, in the snow they perform good. It gets real snowy and icy here and they have been great!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbanga View Post
I have never run duratracs or wild peaks but hear great things about both. I have run many of the other at's and mt's and keep going back to bfg. The km2s I took of my jeep yesterday have over 70,000 miles on them and still have around 25% tread depth. They suck on snow and ice but do everything else pretty well. I siped them which did help in the snow more then I expected.
I have never run a tire besides a dedicated snow tire that performed better on snow and ice better then a bfg ko. They may not do great in deep snow but on a daily driver thats the tire I go to. I have 31/10.50/15 ko's on my awd explorer and it never slips or slides on snow or ice period. It's so planted it's boring.
There may be better tires out there for a dd then a bfg but tires cost so much now I dont dare gamble. I know I am getting a tire that will do everything I need on my jeep for 70-80,000 miles with nothing more then a tape measure alighnment and frequent rotations.

Fwiw I used to love coopers and still love the offroad perormence but could not get more then 45,000 miles out of them. Thats around $1000 every 18 months for me.
My tundra came with bfg at's and I couldn't get 30k out of em. Put wildpeaks on and the difference was staggering.

I also tried bfg at's in 31x10.50s on one of my Tj's, 285/75/16 on my Jk, and 35x12.50 on another one of my Tj's.

On all of them the wet weather performance was dismal. The hydroplane resistance just wasn't there.

I liked the km2s my wife had on her Jk. They were good in te snow till about half tread. Then they started to get sketchy.
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I ran bfg at's on my first TJ when i lived in Georgia and they sucked in mud and rain.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
nmtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I also recommend checking out the falken wildpeak/rocky mountain. Only downside is once they wear down your left with solid connected tread. Been pretty happy with mine so far.
nmtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What about the Falken Rocky Mountain or Cooper Discover ST? Both relatively cheap but have great on and off road ability.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
hockey369
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I currently run 33x10.5x15 BFG ATs in the winter months and they are a beast through the snow that I have driven through. I was driving through 30+ inches last winter in one of the blizzards we had and I didnt once get stuck or even feel like I was going to get stuck. I pulled 2 different F250 plow trucks out as well during that storm. I havent really tested them in the mud but I imagine they wont be as good as my 33x12.5 pro comp mud tires (summer rubber). I havent tried the duratracs so I cant really compare the two, but the BFGs work great on my rig. I previously ran 31x10.5 BFG Muds KM1 and got over 60k on them and they still have tread left. On a light weight jeep BFGs last a LONG time.
01 TJ Sahara, RE BB w/ Skyjacker Hydro Shocks, 1.25" BL, 1" MML, 33x12.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on Soft 8s, Rampage Frameless Top, A to Z Rocker Guards, JKS Quicker Disconnects, KC Windshield Long Range Lights, UCF Engine Skid, UCF UHC Transmission Skid
My other toys:
04 Harley V-Rod
99 Yamaha GP1200 (For Sale)
hockey369 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
rob67gmc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It looks like the Duratracs would clear mud a little better. Now to figure out the biggest size I can put on.
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Sixbanga
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
My tundra came with bfg at's and I couldn't get 30k out of em. Put wildpeaks on and the difference was staggering.

I also tried bfg at's in 31x10.50s on one of my Tj's, 285/75/16 on my Jk, and 35x12.50 on another one of my Tj's.

On all of them the wet weather performance was dismal. The hydroplane resistance just wasn't there.

I liked the km2s my wife had on her Jk. They were good in te snow till about half tread. Then they started to get sketchy.
This is why these which tire questions threads are almost useless. Everyone has different opinions on what all around performence is and the vehicle they are mounted on can change everything.
I think the manufactures sometimes specify a different rubber compound for a tire they choose as the oe tire. I think that may be why you only got 30,000 on your tundra tires.

As far as wet weather performence I have never had a problem with any of the at or mt style treads I have tried. I think it is because I realize I am driving a lifted jeep with fat tires on it and it is raining. I just slow down and hang on when I see deep puddles. I use my head and it seems to drive just fine.
My other daily driver is a camaro with a detroit locker, 4:11 gears, 400hp and drag radials. Everything drives better then that so the bfgs on my jeep seem great in the rain to me.

A good freind also ran bfgs for years with great results untill he bought a new jk rubicon with the stock bfgs on it. They rode like crap, didnt perform that well for being locked f and rear . By 30,000 they were hard as a brick and cupped terribly. He did run them for another 30,000 because they just wouldn't wear out.
Sixbanga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
WXman
2001 WJ 

I think the Falken would be a terrible choice for you. You said gravel roads. The Falkens pick up rocks worse than any tire I've ever used and then bomb your rocker panels when you hit the road again. You said mud.. the Falken is the least aggressive AT on the market. They are also very heavy.

The BFG KO simply sucks. Terrible in the mud and snow, perhaps the worst AT on the market for both those terrains. They are extremely expensive too. A 30 year old tread design that's overpriced.

The Duratrac would be an excellent choice for your needs. They are relatively quiet, dig hard in the mud/snow, and work good on rainy roads too. They are also lightweight. They make for a great tire. Only drawback is the price.

You should look at the Cooper AT3. I think you'd be very happy with it.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
rob67gmc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the Duratracs for those same reasons. I'm in no hurry for tires, just planning ahead. Now I need to figure out if I can step up in size a little. I have 1" coil spacers that actually measured 1 1/4". Don't want to do any trimming on the flairs and don't plan on disconnecting the sway bars so no big flexing. I have already adjusted the steering stops but could put in another washer if needed. Would like to go with 32" or possibly 33" with a narrower width to keep from rubbing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.