Is there a reference to find actual tire size versus stated size? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Is there a reference to find actual tire size versus stated size?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-10-2014, 02:09 AM   #1
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Is there a reference to find actual tire size versus stated size?

Any reference out there to find true tire sizes versus stated for the different brands of 33 or 35's?

Example, I have Toyo open country, they are stated at 35 inches, but measure a surprising 33.75 inflated to 30psi. Until I measured them, I would have sworn they were easily 35.

73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
JeepWranglerNation

Post Delete
JeepWranglerNation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
Any reference out there to find true tire sizes versus stated for the different brands of 33 or 35's?

Example, I have Toyo open country, they are stated at 35 inches, but measure a surprising 33.75 inflated to 30psi. Until I measured them, I would have sworn they were easily 35.
No.
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Actual size will vary depending on inflation, load, and wheel width. Easiest thing is to not worry about it. Second easiest thing is to find someone with a similar vehicle and the tires in question that has measured the actual size.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Rule of thumb I always use is take the listed diameter and subtract 1 inch. This usually works out great for tires under 35".

Remember, the manufacturer measures tires with the bulge of the sidewalls while mounted on a specific wheel included. You and I measure without the sidewall bulge. That's where the inch gets lost.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Look at tire height in mamufactirer's specifications. That's the height of tire when inflated to max psi.

But you won't be using max psi. So it will have less tire height.

Also perhaps what Wxmam said too.
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Scrmngchicken
2001 WJ 

Tire sizes are based on an inflated tire that is unloaded. Meaning not on a vehicle.

So no, there is no standardizing. Especially when dealing with different manufacturers. And when you factor in quality differences, it further complicates things.

Think of sizes as a guesstimate.
Scrmngchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Ferrachi
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wasn't happy that a set of Duratracs I bought (31") measured out just a tad over 29". Wasn't what I expected at all and realized I had some researching to do. Use google, many other posts on this forum and others which talk about this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/a...specs-1206007/
Ferrachi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #9
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post

FOUND THE ANSWER!!!!
Look at the mfg's stated revs per mile.
20,168 / [insert rev's here] = more realistic actual size.
For example, your tires (MT's?) have 596 rev's per mile, which equals 33.8". Much closer than the 34.8" inflated diameter spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrachi View Post
I wasn't happy that a set of Duratracs I bought (31") measured out just a tad over 29". Wasn't what I expected at all and realized I had some researching to do. Use google, many other posts on this forum and others which talk about this.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/a...specs-1206007/
and yours are 681 revs, which is 29.6"

A 35" circle has 576 rev's per mile.
A 33" circle has 611 rev's per mile.
A 31" circle has 650 rev's per mile.

I've found that most 35" tires are in the 595-605 range.
33's are mostly in the 630's.
I'm not sure about 31's.

I haven't looked into it, but I believe the discrepancy comes from load bearing. The inflated diameter spec is the tire inflated to maximum psi, with no load. Revolutions per mile is probably the tire at it's maximum psi and load, meaning the tire has it's flat spot at the contact patch resulting in a shorter radius to the ground (which is half the functional diameter of your tire).
Hope this helps someone.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.