Sye? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Sye?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-19-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
mezz

Sye?

this may sound like a dumb question but what exactly is a SYE?
i am putting on a 4" sus lift this weekend, but i am not sure what the SYE is and if i am going to need one
thanks for the help

mezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
mezz

by the way i am just going for looks i won't be doing any off roading. so this is why after reading all the stuff about a SYE i am not sure what exactly it is and if i need one on a daily driver
Unread 04-19-2004, 01:50 PM   #3
Dan R

You wont need one, don't worry.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan R
You wont need one, don't worry.
i wouldnt just jump to say that.....alot of people need a SYE on a 3.5" lift....esp with RE lifts which tend to be more then 3.5"...or so i've read....

First of all i'm going to assume you have a TJ

What a SYE is, is a Slip Yoke Eliminator.....not to get too in depth about it but your jeep obvisiously has a short rear drive shaft with the increase in height your also increase the angles which the driveshaft leaves the transfer case and meets the rear axle.....if this angle is to great the u-joint slightly bind creating viberations while driving.....the sye replaces the slip yoke with a shaft that remains stationary, you also buy a CV driveshaft which will extent and retract....you adjust the pinion angle to 0 (i believe) and that takes care of any binding....only way to tell if you will definately need one is to put on the lift and drive it....if you get vibes while driving even with a transfer case drop (basically does the same thing as a SYE just not as effectively) then you'll probably need one....
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:27 PM   #5
Mels95YJ

Well, to add a little to what's been stated already.

You're transfer case has a slip yoke on the rear. The rear driveshaft slips in and out of the transfer case as the rear axle moves up and down. The tailhousing on the transfer case is also longer than the SYE, so by getting the SYE you can get a longer driveshaft which means less of an angle.

A BIG advantage of the SYE, besides a better driveline angle, is you can remove the rear driveshaft without losing all of your fluid. Once you "slip" the stock driveshaft out of the transfer case, all the fluid comes out. The slip yoke of the driveshaft "seals" the transfer case.

Like Cynic said, there's no way to tell if you'll need one or not unless you put the lift on. Should you? Yes, but that's decision you'll have to make according to your funds. Setting your rear pinion angle will depend on whether or not you have one or not. HTH

Mel
Unread 04-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
mezz

so is something that will be dangerous if not put on(break something, cause wreck) or just make for a rough ride
thanks
Unread 04-21-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezz
so is something that will be dangerous if not put on(break something, cause wreck) or just make for a rough ride
thanks
worst case you will break a u-joint.....just do the lift and if you have vibes with a tc drop then get a SYE....if you dont get vibes then good you probably wont need one...
Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.