Suspension lift vs suspension travel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Suspension lift vs suspension travel?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
Z0RR0

Suspension lift vs suspension travel?

This may sound like a complete noobish and silly question ... but here goes.

Is there a rule of thumb to figure out how much more suspension travel a lift gives you? I'm talking proper suspension lift, obviously, no body lift, BB or blocks.

Are all lift kits designed with this in mind? Let's say I get a 4", I'll get the longer springs (duh), but are the shocks designed to use the extra height as travel? What I wouldn't want, would be to stand 4" taller, with no more suspension travel. That would suck.

Hope this wasn't too messy of a question ....

Z0RR0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
mudmonkey2400
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0RR0
This may sound like a complete noobish and silly question ... but here goes.

Is there a rule of thumb to figure out how much more suspension travel a lift gives you? I'm talking proper suspension lift, obviously, no body lift, BB or blocks.

Are all lift kits designed with this in mind? Let's say I get a 4", I'll get the longer springs (duh), but are the shocks designed to use the extra height as travel? What I wouldn't want, would be to stand 4" taller, with no more suspension travel. That would suck.

Hope this wasn't too messy of a question ....
Short answer... yes. There's a lot of factors that come into play though. If you buy a 4" spring lift, and it comes with 3" (just an example) longer bumpstops, you may have only gained 1" of Upward travel, but you still get the benefits of ~4" of Downward travel. And yes, when you buy shocks for a 4" lift, they shouldn't limit you at all.

Of course, there's always exceptions to this theory. Different lift manufacturers, shock manufacturers, etc.
Unread 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
OurayJK

The primary reason for lifting is usually to get larger tires under the truck. Larger tires are the only way to "lift" the differentials, the lowest point under your Jeep. Spring/suspension lifts raise the whole chassis which helps breakover.

Now the bumpstops control upward travel and all the kits I have seen use them. The shocks limit the downward travel, unless running straps. Good lifts use longer shocks and give you some additional travel. Consider though that for the most part you have moved the stock amount of travel downward by virtue of the longer bumpstops. To really get long travel you need longer suspension arms, and really long travel shocks or coil overs. Hope that makes some sense.
OurayJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.