stripped lug nut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > stripped lug nut

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Sooglass
2012 JK Wrangler 

stripped lug nut

My neighbor and I both tried to get off one super tight lug nut. He put his foot on the 4 way and the lock lug cap came off. THe lug is also stripped now. All the others came off by me not too difficult. This one wouldn't budge. Now what.? I'm kinda in middle of attempting a lift otherwise I'd take it up to a shop. How to get it off. If it's that tight, is there any hope of hand wrenching it off?

Sooglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Go buy a stripped bolt kit or stripped lug nut remover. Autozone/Advance will probably have them in the loan a tool.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Sooglass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok. Didn't even know that existed. Thx. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew here.
Unread 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Not a prob, stripping a lug nut isn't bad.... especially when working on older vehicles(assuming not your JK). Wait till you break a stud off =]
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
1320quick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Using a 1/2" impact wrench would sure make it easier if you have access to one. When I run into stripped lug nuts, I try to find the next smaller sized 6-point impact socket (can be metric or standard) and drive it on the lug nut with a BFH. Then use the impact to zip it right off. I keep some el cheapo impact sockets around for things just like this.....
1320quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Sooglass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Autozone says they don't have one. And if you stripped it by being unable to get it off because I'm assuming they put it on too tightly, how does putting another socket on top assist me? I'ts still too tight right?
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
1320quick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooglass View Post
Autozone says they don't have one. And if you stripped it by being unable to get it off because I'm assuming they put it on too tightly, how does putting another socket on top assist me? I'ts still too tight right?
I hear what your saying. That is why I suggested trying a 1/2" impact wrench as opposed to more brute strength doing it by hand. There are both air and electric impact wrenches available. Because of how the impact works, I seem to have better luck getting things like your describing off. I used it a couple of weeks ago to get a stripped caliper bolt out of my son's Escalade. A smaller socket to get ahold of the stripped lug nut and an impact to get it off. Maybe you have a buddy that would have an impact you could borrow? Maybe even an equipment rental place....
1320quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Sooglass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok. Thank you. Makes sense. I appreciate your help.
Unread 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
paintballwannab
1997 ZJ 

Here's basically what your looking for:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=31-95217056-2

Handy to have a entire kit laying around for when you strip other nuts and bolts.

Impacts are great, in same cases....not so much for you because the person that last put that lug nut on used a impact lol. It is your best option for removing that stripped one. My stripped lug nut remover is useless without one, it just spins off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.