Strange valve stem issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Strange valve stem issue

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Strange valve stem issue

Ive got cheapo black steel wheels on my TJ, the D-window ones, not sure of the brand. On all five of them, at different times, the valve stem has started leaking. When i go to add air, if you move the valve stem side to side at all, it leaks. One was so bad that when the shop removed it, it was almost ripped completely in half right at the part that sits inside the rim. I have no idea what would cause this, but i'm tired of taking tires off to get this fixed. The only possible cause i can think of is that i've had a set of those stupid chrome metal looking valve stem caps on, and the added weight on the end of the valve stem combined with the centrifugal force from the rolling wheel makes the valve stem rub on the rim. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?

Edit: These wheels/stem caps

Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same wheels and had the exact same problem recently. My tires are 5.5 year old though. Anyway, check out this thread I started a while back. You can change valves without removing the tire.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...-stem-1828522/
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.