Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Stock rims, help please

864 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  JeepZen 
#1 ·
hey whatsup,

I was curious whats the largest tire size i could go on stock

2001 sahara rims, they are the 16inch 5 spoke ultra star rims.

Thank you for your time.

#2 ·
You typically can't get anything wider than a 10.50 on a stock wheel without serious modification, but I must admit, I have never seen or heard of a 16" stock wheel except for the new Moab wheels (I thought all the others were 15", but I may be wrong or it might be a special edition of some sort). If you don't hear anything else, stick with the 10.50s (probably 31x10.50s unless you want to lift it too). If you REALLY want to know you can pull off your spare and measure the backspacing, basically, the dististance from the inside lip of the rim to the inside mount of the tire. The backspacing will ultimately determine the max tire width, well, that and the wheel width (probably 8" wide if it was a Sahara).

Do a search on backspacing in this forum or in the TJ forum or just look around. There are gobs of other posts out there on this.

#5 ·
ripcurlwrangler said:
i believe the exact size is 225 70 16
If that's true then they are definately 16" wheels but I still don't think it is a stock wheel. If it says Jeep on it though, I'll give in. ;) The tires you have now are (mathematically speaking) 28.4x7.3" (metric to english is never pretty).

You should be able to get a set of 31x10.50s on there without any serious modification. You may have to adjust your steering stops, procedure for that is in the FAQ. The metric on that is going to be something like 265/70R16. I'm not even sure if that is a real size, it's just a mathematical estimation of a 31X10.50 converted to metric.

About 50% of everything I know about tires I learned from the TireRack.com Tech Section. and everything else I learned from JeepForum.com. :)

You may already know this, but adding about 2" to your tire diameter is going to mean less power during acceleration, though you may get a bit of a bump in highway gas mileage. How much it really matters depends on your engine, transmission and gearing. If it's a Sahara (you mentioned they were Sahara rims but that doesn't mean it is a Sahara model Jeep) then it is probably an I6 auto with 3.73 gears and I seriously wonder how it got those wheels and tires on it (you bought it used I am assuming?). Anyway, if you want to check your gearing, it is stamped on the back of the rear differential (assuming no one changed it after market). It is probably 3.73 or 3.07, bigger is better in this case. ;)

#6 ·
Thank you so much for your help, I brought it new in 2001 its standard transmission, Yea they are stamped Jeep, ha go figure. Come to think about it I havent seen these rims on any other wranglers. Yea I should prob do some investigating, anyway thank you.

#8 ·
I did not think Jeep had ever offered 16" wheels before the Moab style but obviously I was wrong.

#10 ·
these dam rims are a pain in the ***!

I went to 5 different places today not a single one of them carried or could order a tire that would fit this rim size, other then the current tire on them or a run of the mill light truck/suv tire.

To make a long story short i have to get new rims any recommendations out there?

#11 ·
To make a long story short i have to get new rims any recommendations out there
You don't need new rims. The Moab's are 16" on the Rubicon and come with a nice MTR. Tirerack.com should be able to help here.
I have the 16" Sahara rim on my JEEP and am very happy with them.

#14 ·
I am not a fan of the MT/R but I have never heard anything bad about them other than that they are expensive. ;)

The Mud Rovers though, I do believe I read some disparaging comments on them. No first hand knowledge myself though. If you search the tire forum you should find some more info though.

If you are looking for cheap(er) mud tires you might look at the Interco TrXus MT or the Kumho Venture MT. I have read many good things about both of those. Even BFGs are usually cheaper than the MT/Rs. You can probbly find a better deal on the MT/Rs if you look around though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.