steel wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > steel wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

steel wheels

I searched and found some threads on the topic but most seemed to deal with off-roading with steel wheels. I've currently got a 99 Sport. It's got chrome, soft 8- type wheels on it now. I am interested in the Cragar Black D Windows. I really like the way they look and it helps that they are inexpensive. My question is am I going to have trouble balancing them or have any other issues with them? I do no off-roading at all. I have 31" BFG TAs with a 4.0/5 speed. Thanks in advance.

goinbroke89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Steel wheels are heavier than alloys. And depending on the off set you go with, that is more rotating mass further out. This can enhance death wobble if you have it or make it develop.

As far as balancing, they should balance just fine, especially with 31's. Steel wheels can bend and that may make them harder to balance or get a tire to seat properly.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Colorado jeep club #274

MY BUILD
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkinsemt View Post
Steel wheels are heavier than alloys. And depending on the off set you go with, that is more rotating mass further out. This can enhance death wobble if you have it or make it develop.

As far as balancing, they should balance just fine, especially with 31's. Steel wheels can bend and that may make them harder to balance or get a tire to seat properly.
Thanks. I'm not going to modify it anymore than it already is. I currently do not have any problems with death wobble. I'm not just trying to be cheap; I really do like the d windows. Just a little apprehensive after reading a few threads on the subject.
Unread 09-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can get an alloy D window style wheel.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92613_14XX_B_PG.htm
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
You can get an alloy D window style wheel.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92613_14XX_B_PG.htm
I know but they are twice as much.
Unread 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke89 View Post
I know but they are twice as much.
$250 is not that much if it prolongs tire life and other components life.

Running around on out of round steel wheels is hard on parts.

You cannot be guaranteed you get 4 round steel wheels. The chances of getting 4 round alloys wheels are much greater.

I won't mess with steel wheels anymore. Not worth the hassle.

And since you said you are not trying to be cheap, I thought you would be interested in the better alternative that costs a little more up front but will probably pay off in the long run.
Unread 09-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Ive run cheap steelies for 30+ years with zero problems.

Ive never had issues like some here describe with the many sets I've owned. Maybe I've just been lucky, who knows?
Unread 09-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the responses, but I think this topic is like most others that I seek an opinion on. There is no clear cut answer. More like a preference. I'm gonna think on it for awhile. I will post pics when I buy. I need to change my profile anyway. Don't have that Jeep anymore. Working on my 5th one. Went and looked at one recently and the guy told me that it was the 31st Jeep he had owned.
Unread 09-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You are correct, its not really clear cut.

What is not clear cut is the likelihood of steel wheels being out of round and whether or not you want to take a chance on that.

What is clear cut is you are more likely to get alloys that are round and they are more likely to stay round.

You have obviously found some instances where steel wheels have caused problems, hence your question. Have you found any similar instances with alloy wheels?
Unread 09-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
Davetopay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used to run steelies on my LJ. USED TO. Had issues with balance, roundness, etc. The other thing about steel vs. alloy, is the aluminum wheel is LIGHTER. That means better braking, better acceleration, and less unsprung weight to be controlled by the suspension. That means better road manners.....and it won't hurt economy either.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
goinbroke89
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I'm gonna go with alloys. Just gotta find the right combo of price and looks. I'm looking at the ION 174s.
Unread 09-10-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
Hammond1913

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadkinsemt View Post

I had no idea that steel wheels in fact added to the severity of death wobble. Noted.
Hammond1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There are steels and alloys that don't balance. Most brand names are good. Steel or Alloy. I run ProComp steels and they balance well.

You mention you run ProComps....I think ProComp makes a D Window like Cragars. Not that Cragars are bad... I just have no experience with them.

What I hate about alloys is how they can bond to the cast wheel hub. You need a sledge to break them loose.
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:59 AM   #14
WXman
2001 WJ 

I've had better luck balancing steel than alloy. But, steel is a lot heavier so I go with alloys these days and just live with the rows of weights. Obviously the tire you choose makes a difference too. Goodyears, for example, are squares.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
What I hate about alloys is how they can bond to the cast wheel hub. You need a sledge to break them loose.
Had this problem when I bought my alloys. I now put a thin coating of grease between the contact surfaces to prevent that from happening. Works like a charm.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.