Steel or Alloy Wheels - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Steel or Alloy Wheels

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #76
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads View Post
Not if you get black painted alloys, like the Pro Comp 7069s. There are many black alloy wheels to choose from and many are quite affordable so you can have the best of both worlds. You aren't limited to just polished alloy anymore. I agree the polished alloys are horrendous to keep up with.

I thought the Pro Comp 7069s were 18lbs each? Pretty lightweight but not even close to 7-10lb wheels.

My race car didn't have wheels that lightweight! At that weight you risk bending a wheel.

You do better to shop here: http://4wheelonline.com/Pro_Comp_Wheels_7069_Flat_Black.142078.498905

I just bought a full set of Pro Comp 15x8s at $96/wheel.

Stay away from the polished aluminum wheels unless you like buffing and cleaning them constantly. The salt and dirt from the winter finally did my 1069s in. I gave up and just got the 7069s. Basically the same wheel in painted flat black.

Definitely go with alloys. I did some serious rock crawling with my Pro Comp alloys and never bent or cracked a rim. They don't leak. If anything the steelies tend to bend and leak and are harder to balance. Plus that extra unsprung weight is not something you want if you aren't regearing and going to 33s.
Damn those are cheap.

freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #77
PeeWeeHerman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know if the sale is still going on but jcwhitneyhas a 15% off coupon.which makes the wheel deals on pretty good. Like I posted earlier, I bought the 7069s for 450 shipped FOR 5. The code is buyjcw7 and works for almost everything I tried.
PeeWeeHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #78
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I checked JC Whitney. No such deal when I looked. Too bad, that's a great price.

I got mine for a tad over $500 to my door (for 5). Just got them mounted and balanced and they look great!

I'm so looking forward to a spring where I DO NOT have to spend 2 days with a buffer and polishing compound trying to make those old polished aluminum wheels look good. Don't even know if it was possible, they were so pitted and corroded from the salt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
yeah the ones i got weigh in at 15-18lbs. might wanna reread what i wrote, i said while searching there were some that weighed around 7-10lbs
I got that. I was just saying that those are some super lightweight wheels. Back when I road raced my Miata wheels that were 10lbs each were considered great wheels but there was concern about them bending on potholes and whatnot. And you paid dearly for any wheels that weighed less than that.

Even at 15-18lbs the Pro Comps are fairly light. Stock Miata wheels were about that much. Of course the GY MT/Rs weight a ton!

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #79
PeeWeeHerman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I checked JC Whitney. No such deal when I looked. Too bad, that's a great price.

I got mine for a tad over $500 to my door (for 5). Just got them mounted and balanced and they look great!

I'm so looking forward to a spring where I DO NOT have to spend 2 days with a buffer and polishing compound trying to make those old polished aluminum wheels look good. Don't even know if it was possible, they were so pitted and corroded from the salt.

I got that. I was just saying that those are some super lightweight wheels. Back when I road raced my Miata wheels that were 10lbs each were considered great wheels but there was concern about them bending on potholes and whatnot. And you paid dearly for any wheels that weighed less than that.

Even at 15-18lbs the Pro Comps are fairly light. Stock Miata wheels were about that much. Of course the GY MT/Rs weight a ton!
that deal is definitely still working. I just looked again. an RC x series kit is 888 shipped with a 999 asking price. procomp 7069's are 83 per plus shipping
PeeWeeHerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #80
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

My ZJ rides drives SO much better with 15x7 alloys VS. the 15x8 steelies I was running with the same size tire. I don't know what the weight difference is, but I definitely notice a diff in the acceleration and gas mileage.

Alloy all the way.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #81
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWeeHerman View Post
that deal is definitely still working. I just looked again. an RC x series kit is 888 shipped with a 999 asking price. procomp 7069's are 83 per plus shipping
Unfortunately the discount only offsets the shipping surcharge for heavy items. It ends up at $99 per wheel. That seems to be the deal everywhere. Still $99 for alloy soft 8 clones is not bad.
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #82
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Is that $99/wheel plus shipping? Because I paid $96 per wheel. Had to pay shipping though. This was on a 15x8 wheel with the 3.75 BS.

http://4wheelonline.com/Pro_Comp_Wheels_7069_Flat_Black.142078.498905

I got my wheels on. They look great. I think the rebalancing when the tires were mounted on the new weels was a big help because the ride is smoother now at highway speeds. I run 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs that are at about half life now.

Alloys are the way to go. Just stay away from the high maintenance polished alloys if you care about how your wheels look.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #83
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is that $99/wheel plus shipping? Because I paid $96 per wheel. Had to pay shipping though. This was on a 15x8 wheel with the 3.75 BS.

http://4wheelonline.com/Pro_Comp_Wheels_7069_Flat_Black.142078.498905

I got my wheels on. They look great. I think the rebalancing when the tires were mounted on the new weels was a big help because the ride is smoother now at highway speeds. I run 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs that are at about half life now.

Alloys are the way to go. Just stay away from the high maintenance polished alloys if you care about how your wheels look.
With enough searching you can get these wheels for just under $100 including shipping. JCWhitney has the best price today. They are $97ea. with a coupon code "parts4u" that knocks off the $15 shipping fee. Take this deal to any local retailer for a price match. That will get you 4 for under $400.

If you use the 15% code listed above "buyjcw7" the price for 4 including shipping for 15x8 is $363.
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #84
rnorma1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There's often a free shipping coupon for JC Whitney too that ends up being a better deal than the 15% off. It knocks off the standard and heavy item fee for shipping.

I just used it to pick up a spare wheel myself.
rnorma1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.