Steel or Alloy Wheels - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Steel or Alloy Wheels

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #31
BlueFlame
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon USA
Posts: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoteTrax View Post
I am new to the Jeep world and am learning a lot by reading comments on this forum, thanks.

I put a 3.25" lift on my TJ and wanted to go with 33" tires. I have a Dana 44 with 3.73 gears, 4.0 with 5 speed. Still researching tires and wheels.

1) If I go with 33" tires, will I loose significant power? Looking at Goodyear Duratracks.

2) Steel wheels seem to cost about half of an Alloy wheel but I understand Steel weighs considerably more. Is it worth the extra cost for Alloy wheels in order to keep the extra weight off? Looking at ProComp.

I spend time in the mountains, on non-maintained roads, crossing creeks, over small downed trees and branches. I would like to try some rock crawling in the future but probably not a regular thing for me.

I would appreciate the advise.
Until you start getting hardcore, barring accidents, get what you like or can afford. But the remarks in this thread concerning the drawbacks of steel are spot on.

It will be okay with 33s and 3.73s, but not optimal. Lots of guys have that setup, some of them are even happy with it. But 4.56 is much better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
alloys tend to leak more, go steel.
NOt since 1964.

BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #32
The_Blacksmith
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Until you start getting hardcore, barring accidents, get what you like or can afford. But the remarks in this thread concerning the drawbacks of steel are spot on.

It will be okay with 33s and 3.73s, but not optimal. Lots of guys have that setup, some of them are even happy with it. But 4.56 is much better.




NOt since 1964.
tons of sets of alloys, all leak the same way with age, on the wheel. When you put air in a tire from a compressor there is moisture, moisture causes corrosion.

I have 2 flat tires right now on alloys, both tires are fine, they are leaking on the wheels. I bought them as rollers for a shell. Several other wheels, fixed the same way, remove the tire, clean the bead of the wheel, put the tire back on.

I buy tons of used wheels, resale, projects ect. I'm not one of those people who just posts something because they read it after everyone else said it.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/replacing-floors-xj-pics-1122602/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #33
BlueFlame
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oregon USA
Posts: 8,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
tons of sets of alloys, all leak the same way with age, on the wheel. When you put air in a tire from a compressor there is moisture, moisture causes corrosion.

I have 2 flat tires right now on alloys, both tires are fine, they are leaking on the wheels. I bought them as rollers for a shell. Several other wheels, fixed the same way, remove the tire, clean the bead of the wheel, put the tire back on.

I buy tons of used wheels, resale, projects ect. I'm not one of those people who just posts something because they read it after everyone else said it.
I figured you were referring to the old porosity problem back in the day....

I've also bought tons of wheels, new and used, for many vehicles (street and offroad, used in sand, salt, and mud) since the early 70s when I started driving.
I have NEVER once seen or heard of an alloy wheel leak because of corrosion, even wheels that came from the coast and looked like total crap.

So, your experiences might not be typical?
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #34
turbojoe
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 190
I am an alloy fan all the way but Im a mechanic and I have had tons of people come in with flat tires due to a corroded rim. This winter we had three diferent cars come in the same day with leaking beads because of corrosion. They were all older cars but I have seen some newer cars like toyotas have this problem. I think its pretty rare that a brand new alloy is leak because of this within maybe 5 years. If they ever do leak, about 5 minutes with a wire brush will fix it.

When buying alloy rims, corrosion would'nt even cross my mind.
__________________
WRANGLER
4.0L
Sport

Jeep
turbojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #35
RemoteTrax
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mendo, CA
Posts: 5
Thanks for all the input.
RemoteTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #36
tchaap
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Posts: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
Black rock alloy wheels with 33" duratracs are a good combo. i run the 33" with 3.73 with the 42RLE auto tranny and its tolerable with this set up (overdrive is off until i reach 60 or so MPH). a regear is in my future, but for now itll do just fine.

was wheeling with a guy who bent a steel wheel the other weekend. a small sledge and some more air and he was back on the trail. so it wasnt a huge deal, but still an inconvience. but.... we werent doing anything difficult when he bent the rim. just hit it right i guess.
That is a sweet looking wheel!!
TC
tchaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 12:44 AM   #37
TeeJay00
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
To be fair, JV is not exactly kind to any rim. This is a pic of a Forged Alcoa for Mickey Thompson. Still held air though.

Ouch
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #38
samger2
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
Posts: 1,808
I went from alloys to steel on my TJ. The reason I did that is because the alloys were so much harder to keep clean and not have the blemishes show up. I spent hours on my Mickey Thompson alloys trying to get them to shine again...whereas my cragar soft 8s clean up quickly and easily.

But my reasoning is only asthetics...as far as weight and performance I really have no input there.

Alloys just require alot more maintenance to stay looking good.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #39
rlockwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: longview, wa
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by samger2 View Post
I went from alloys to steel on my TJ. The reason I did that is because the alloys were so much harder to keep clean and not have the blemishes show up. I spent hours on my Mickey Thompson alloys trying to get them to shine again...whereas my cragar soft 8s clean up quickly and easily.

But my reasoning is only asthetics...as far as weight and performance I really have no input there.

Alloys just require alot more maintenance to stay looking good.
perhaps lay a coat of paint down on the alloys?
rlockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #40
samger2
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
Posts: 1,808
Perhaps. But in my experience I've found that painting wheels, or trim, or other things looks good initially, but tends to chip easily and require repainting more than I'd like to. Not saying it wouldn't work out, but I like the idea of not having to worry about the paint coming off.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:51 AM   #41
2005X
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by samger2 View Post
I went from alloys to steel on my TJ. The reason I did that is because the alloys were so much harder to keep clean and not have the blemishes show up. I spent hours on my Mickey Thompson alloys trying to get them to shine again...whereas my cragar soft 8s clean up quickly and easily.

But my reasoning is only asthetics...as far as weight and performance I really have no input there.

Alloys just require alot more maintenance to stay looking good.
black alloys that look like crager soft 8s with a flat black finish. never had a wheel so easy to clean
0305111535.jpg   0128111211.jpg  
__________________
www.youtube.com/kgries
2005X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #42
samger2
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
Posts: 1,808
I guess I should've clarified. My experience was with chrome or brushed aluminum alloys, not black ones. I can see how the black alloys would be really easy to maintain.

I also purchased my steelies with price in mind. $39.99 for a wheel is pretty darn hard to beat.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #43
The_Blacksmith
Registered User
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
I figured you were referring to the old porosity problem back in the day....

I've also bought tons of wheels, new and used, for many vehicles (street and offroad, used in sand, salt, and mud) since the early 70s when I started driving.
I have NEVER once seen or heard of an alloy wheel leak because of corrosion, even wheels that came from the coast and looked like total crap.

So, your experiences might not be typical?
they are typical for certain, I have aluminum jeep wheels that leaked on the bead until I removed the tire, cleaned the wheel and re mounted the tire. (from the 90s)

Its common, maybe it has to do with relative humidity per my location or the artic winters.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/replacing-floors-xj-pics-1122602/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #44
merckx9
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Downingtown PA
Posts: 264
2005X what brand are the black alloys in the pics? I like that look similar to my black soft 8's.
__________________
When I was 20 I knew everything, when I was 30 I knew something, at 40 I know nothing!
merckx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #45
thisgardengrove
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 290
I would love to go to a nice alloy wheel, however like said above go for what you can afford and at 34.99 a rim i could not pass up on the d window steelies. however my next set of rims will be beadlocks, any preference on beadlocks??
thisgardengrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.