Steel or Alloy Wheels - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Steel or Alloy Wheels

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Go for the alloys...you're saving weight, and that helps in more ways than one.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i went from Crager soft 8 15x8 27lbs to procomp alloys 15x8 15lbs per wheel. while searching for alloys there are wheels out there that only weigh 7-10lbs
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA7069-5865
Unread 03-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
cntryboy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had black steel wheels with 33's for over 5 years and thought they did pretty well. However, I recently switched back to Aluminum stock wheels with 33's (I just like the clean look of the stock wheels) and was AMAZED by the difference. I had aluminum before but I had gotten so use to the steel wheels I forgot about the benefits of aluminum. I immediatly noticed a difference in power and ride. I really didn't expect it but I can tell a really big difference in power in the higher gears 4th & 5th (Even with 4.11's on the 4.0L, I struggled in 5th with the steel wheels).

Now I will tell you that I love the black steel wheel look the best but I not going back. The Aluminum wheels ride, balance and just feel so much better. The added power from the weight loss was such a nice added bonus. Just my opinion of course from having both. Steel wheels worked very well for the cost and they looked great but I will be sticking with Aluminum from now on.

Good luck!
Unread 03-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #19
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005X View Post
i went from Crager soft 8 15x8 27lbs to procomp alloys 15x8 15lbs per wheel. while searching for alloys there are wheels out there that only weigh 7-10lbs
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Xt...n=PXA7069-5865
how do you like the change & weight loss? see a difference?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #20
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Steel wheels are too often out of round, sometimes even when they are brand new.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #21
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
My 35" BFG KM2's on alloy rims are a half pound lighter than the outgoing 33"x10.5" BFG AT's on Soft 8 wheels according to my bathroom scale.
How'd you get your Jeep in the bathroom.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
lancetkenyon
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Aluminum wheels will not look like this after hard usage.

I MUCH prefer alloy to steel. Also, you can get aluminum wheels in just about any backspacing you want, you just have to look for them.
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
how do you like the change & weight loss? see a difference?
honestly a small difference. now along with removing my corners and doing the alloy i can tell me biggest difference going over bumps where before they were hard hits now i just go right over them. cornering is better and overall take off is improved.
Unread 03-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #24
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post
Aluminum wheels will not look like this after hard usage.

I MUCH prefer alloy to steel. Also, you can get aluminum wheels in just about any backspacing you want, you just have to look for them.
That wheel is the result of one trip through the rocks of Johnson Valley by one of our very own here, Erik Jordan.

I went from aluminum wheels to steel and then back to aluminum. If you are doing the hard trails, especially with rocks, steel wheels just bend and dent way too frigging easily. I needed to carry a 3 lb. sledgehammer with me while wheeling to help keep my previous steel wheels straight enough so they'd hold air. I lost track of how many times my steel wheels dented or bent so badly they wouldn't hold air.

For the street or mild to moderate wheeling, steel is fine. For anything tougher than that, aluminum wheels are the way to go.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #25
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And there it is....

I was wondering when Jerry or Mrblaine was going to post that pic.
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a Dana 44 with 3.73 gears, 4.0 with 5 speed. Still researching tires and wheels.

1) If I go with 33" tires, will I loose significant power? Looking at Goodyear Duratracks.
I have the same setup and it is not a problem.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #27
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Black rock alloy wheels with 33" duratracs are a good combo. i run the 33" with 3.73 with the 42RLE auto tranny and its tolerable with this set up (overdrive is off until i reach 60 or so MPH). a regear is in my future, but for now itll do just fine.

was wheeling with a guy who bent a steel wheel the other weekend. a small sledge and some more air and he was back on the trail. so it wasnt a huge deal, but still an inconvience. but.... we werent doing anything difficult when he bent the rim. just hit it right i guess.
my-wheels.jpg  

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #28
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
And there it is....

I am just wondering what a Alloy wheel would have looked like in that same situation as that wheel.
jds79cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds79cj View Post
I am just wondering what a Alloy wheel would have looked like in that same situation as that wheel.
It would have looked better......

Alloys all the way. There really is no advantage to running steel wheels, except the cost. If you drive your jeep on the road, you'll deal with them never being balanced correctly and the extra weight that goes against mileage, acceleration, and braking performance. I ran steelies for 2 years before getting smart and switching to alloys. One of the best purchases I've made for the jeep, period.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #30
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan View Post
And there it is....

To be fair, JV is not exactly kind to any rim. This is a pic of a Forged Alcoa for Mickey Thompson. Still held air though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.