State by State Vehicle Equipment Laws - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > State by State Vehicle Equipment Laws

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #31
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka
i don't think you really understand what I'm doing here and I'm not sure why you are such a nay sayer.
i understand what you're trying to do. i just think you should know that there is a whole lot more to it than just throwing up the written law expecting people to find their answer.

Quote:
I just want to list the part of the code that answers the question of the equipment on our Jeeps and keeps us aware as we change them.
that's the problem. there are too many variables involved to get a clear definitive answer on a questionable piece of equipment. there are a lot of things that are black and white, but there are just as many that are in the gray.

i've gone through state legal counsel, and representatives who actually write the law, and they can't even give me a straight answer. if i'm the one writing tickets for these violations, i want to be 100% sure that i'm enforcing the law as it was meant to be enforced. traffic law is just as much interpretation as it is written law. if you look at the FMVSS, there are also interpretations handed down by NHTSA. the FMVSS is not typically drawn out in state transportation codes, but it is adopted by most states. it regulates every piece of equipment on a vehicle.

the best answer anyone can get for a questionable law is to contact the prosecutor in the area you live/work, and ask for his/her interpretation. the police can write all the tickets they want, but the prosecutor will ultimately be the one proving that it's a violation in court.

Unread 09-13-2006, 07:18 PM   #32
Rivka
Returning From Sabbatical

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Chris, I still don't think you get it, I am consolidating one helpful tool for people to do their research from. I am not claiming anything. People read whatever and make their own choices. I just figure it is better to give people factual links to state code than them getting hearsay from some unknown source and mistaking it for fact.
Like i said before if you don't like what I'm doing, don't use it. I am not lying, misleading or claiming anything but that I'm a helpful fellow Jeeper.

Please get off my back
Rivka

"Teach a man how to take his doors off and he will enjoy his Jeep for a day,
teach him to search the forums and he will enjoy his Jeep for life!"
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #33
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darm
Here's the Connecticut Vehicle Law Title of the General Statutes.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Title14.htm
any time i click on the sub parts of this page it tries to load a page so large it hangs up my browser, can someone else double check this? I think i need to see chapter 246 the first one on this page.

EDIT: got it to load from another source

Last edited by Rivka; 09-13-2006 at 07:46 PM..
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #34
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Chris, I still don't think you get it, I am consolidating one helpful tool for people to do their research from. I am not claiming anything. People read whatever and make their own choices. I just figure it is better to give people factual links to state code than them getting hearsay from some unknown source and mistaking it for fact.
Like i said before if you don't like what I'm doing, don't use it. I am not lying, misleading or claiming anything but that I'm a helpful fellow Jeeper.

Please get off my back
Rivka
slow down and take a deep breath. you're getting twisted over nothing. what you're looking for has been done.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/st...s_and_highways
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #35
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_
slow down and take a deep breath. you're getting twisted over nothing. what you're looking for has been done.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/st...s_and_highways
I'm not getting twisted. I simply don't like your tone and said so.
That link you posted is helpful, and i will use to it find some stuff, it also demonstrates just what i am working to fix. there are links there that are broken and other that send you not to State pages but quotes of them. These are static and have unknown updating status. Most others list the top level and I am choosing to point people, either in a link where it is still clear or in my written tips, to the sections that deal with our hardware modifications. As was my stated intent.

Unread 09-13-2006, 08:32 PM   #36
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this sticky thread on the Q-tec bulletin board: Find Your State Laws. One of the mods over there took quite a bit of time to put it together some time ago for the exact reason you're doing it. It's been a great resource for me, having lived in three different states while owning and modifying my Jeep.
Unread 09-13-2006, 09:28 PM   #37
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awshux
Check out this sticky thread on the Q-tec bulletin board: Find Your State Laws. One of the mods over there took quite a bit of time to put it together some time ago for the exact reason you're doing it. It's been a great resource for me, having lived in three different states while owning and modifying my Jeep.
thanks for the heads up, i will cross reference to his site for info. and give them a heads up when i finish mine. I see a few bad links on his, so if we put our heads together we can have this great tool up on many sites!!

Unread 09-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #38
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Added A Canada List in Post #2

Unread 09-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #39
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

things are falling into place pretty good, still need more links, please help out with your home state or another state if yours is done already

Unread 09-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #40
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Since this thread was getting no responses in GD, lets try it here.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2006, 11:46 AM   #41
TJinWV
2002 TJ Wrangler 

West bygod Virginia... http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/17/masterfrmFrm.htm

Boy that's not very pretty, is it? Anyway, all of chapter 17 is vehilce-related. Have to browse around to find exactly what you are looking for.
Unread 09-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #42
batoutahell

I found a street rodder website, but it did not helpmuch. I will try and find any info I can find.
batoutahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM   #43
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just added info about a new feature I'm working on, the details are in post #3, let me know what you think?

Unread 09-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #44
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinWV
West bygod Virginia... http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/17/masterfrmFrm.htm

Boy that's not very pretty, is it? Anyway, all of chapter 17 is vehilce-related. Have to browse around to find exactly what you are looking for.

just looked and found the equipment parts actully in 17C (WVC 17 C- 15 - 1) does that seem right to you or did you find something i missed?

Unread 09-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #45
Rivka

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Any one want some research to do, specially anyone living in Washington DC?

here is the closest i came

http://government.westlaw.com/linked....0&sp=dcc-1000 i started out with DIVISION VIII GENERAL LAWS, TITLE 50. MOTOR AND NON-MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

can anyone spend a bit of time to go through some of it to see if you can find anything regarding Equipment or Lights, this one is driving me nuts, because it looks so complete but yet i don't see anything on vehicle equipment and we know something has to be there. or anything else you find about DC. Thanks

Tags
bumper laws , code , law , legal , lift height law , lift laws , state law , statute , tire coverage , vehicel equipment laws , vehicle code

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.