Spare Tire Storage Door?! This is Freaking Awesome. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Spare Tire Storage Door?! This is Freaking Awesome.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Spare Tire Storage Door?! This is Freaking Awesome.

The Mercedes G-Wagen boys have the option to buy these from somewhere and it' a shame that no one makes them for universal use on wheels. Looks like the design is simple and I'd love to have one to shove in my YJ's spare wheel. Anywho here's the pictures, maybe someone on here has seen or built something similar.

Cbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

But...how would it function as a proper spare if you needed it? There's no wheel.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

I think Daystar has something like that.
Mr_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
But...how would it function as a proper spare if you needed it? There's no wheel.
Do you think the kind of people that drive a G Wagon would change their own tire, if they even know how.

They get a tow to the nearest Benz dealer.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
Cbaughn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Yeah there is, that back plate goes over the lug nuts on the center of the wheel, then the outer ring and door is pulled tight to the edge of the rim and tire by those little stainless hook you can see at the bottom. I'd imagine there are three of them around the inside of the wheel. to pull the swing door and outer door ring real tight to the tire rubber so it would be water proof. The sidewalls of the box if the actual wheel though. This only adds a back plate and door/ring with those hooks to keep it together. See what I'm talking about though?

And haha, those guys know a good bit I think if I ain't wrong. They use the old military G-Wagens as Expedition Vehicles, kinda like they do with Montero's and Toyota Land Cruisers in the African Bush. I'd love to have one of those older imported G-Wagens though, can be had for around 15k in good shape. That's almost as much as it cost to have one imported over here so I don't know why they are so cheap really.
Cbaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ah, yeah, my brain just wasn't considering the possibility that the wheel is mounted facing the vehicle.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.