Snow tires vs Bfg a/t? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Snow tires vs Bfg a/t?

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #31
MoparToYou
2014 JK Wrangler 

The narrow width does help in snow. Stock Rubicon 255/75R-17 MFG MT KM1 tires work better in snow than 12.5" wide BFG AT tires do. They work better than 12.5" wide BFG MT KM2 tires do. They work better than 12.5" wide Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar tires do.

And the winter specific tires may work ok on a highway, but in deep snow they are not as good as a good MT, like the BFG KM1s in a 255 width. I had a set on a Grand Cherokee and was totally unimpressed. I'm talking deep snow, like this:

Unread 11-27-2010, 02:03 AM   #32
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparToYou View Post
And the winter specific tires may work ok on a highway, but in deep snow they are not as good as a good MT, like the BFG KM1s in a 255 width. I had a set on a Grand Cherokee and was totally unimpressed. I'm talking deep snow, like this:
You are absolutely correct about this, super-siped highway tires work great up to about a feet or two of snow, depending if it's snow drifts from light snow, or packed "heavy" stuff. I've had no problems going in 2ft. deep fresh light snow, but I've gotten stuck in under 10" deep snow as well For snow like that in the picture, you'll gonna need something else than a highway snow tire. It's in those conditions where many ATs and MTs shine. If it's even deeper, you'll gonna need a wide & tall tire, preferrably bias-ply run under extremely low pressures with beadlocks. Look at the Iceland Jeeps for example

So it all depends and you just gotta learn which tire is best for certain situation and type of snow, and choose your tire based on that.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #33
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just two nights ago I was driving down a 4 lane main road, doing about 30mph in a 50...my all terrains (30x9.50x15 WITH the snowflake) have between 8 and 1032nds remaining...not brand new, but still SIGNIFICANT tread left. I lost traction without even trying...my rear end started sliding. Later, coming home...getting on an on ramp, doing about 20-25...again started sliding sideways.

This was our first snow of the year, light dusting on the ground, wet underneath that.

Even with the snowflake I'll never use my all terrains in place of a dedicated snow tire. This is the second winter season in a row they've made me leary.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.