Snow tires vs Bfg a/t? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Snow tires vs Bfg a/t?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Snow tires vs Bfg a/t?

Has any one ran both? I need new tires but im not sure if i should get a set of full on snow tires on seprate rims and then buy the bfgs come spring.

or

just save and buy the bfgs and runn them all year round.

Unread 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Whistler31
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What size tires are you running?
I just got new 31's they dont make a snow tire in that size really so I got some goodyear wrangler duratracs.
These are crazy good tires about the same price as the bfgs. but reviews say they are better in the snow. I know they are good on rock and mud.
Big chunky lugs with more space between them for better clearing, but they also have some decent siping
Whistler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
XJH-007

I've run many sets of BFG AT's (currently on the wifes RAV4) and love them in the snow. They are not "snow rated" for some reason but do excellent in the snow.

I am currently running Blizzak's on my WJ and have been unstoppable in the snow. Now, the Blizzak's are dedicated snows so I have to rotate them off in the summer as they will wear quicker then the BFG's....but they were also about 60% the $$$ too.

The Duratracks are suppose to be awesome tires...my dad is running them on his Taco.

I've run BFG's so much I would probably go with the DT's just to try something different....but you can't go wrong with the BFG's.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
350zmarty
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Bfg's do great in the snow, and for a lighter suv like a cherokee, they seem to last for quite a while. Unless you are a serious rock-climber, go with the Bfg-at's
350zmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

tire rack said they have the snowflake/mountain rateing for extreeme winter conditions but only in certian sizes. The goodyears look like they wouldent be verry good in snow, seeing as they are very close to an m/t.
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Drahthaar_dude
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have read that the Goodyear Duratracks do really good in the snow. Check out some of the threads on here about them. Good luck.
Drahthaar_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

O ya, im looking for tires in a 30" x 9.5", or if a snow tire a 225/75 on a 15" rim
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

be carerful because not all sizes are severe weather rated, fortunately 30x9.5x15 load c is severe weather rated.
i have them on my jeep love them in the snow, its nice not having to worry about switching tires for winter, or having to worry about putting chains on, i never felt the need for it, and live up a hill, and when it was snowy it was sketchy for other vehicles but the BFG at tires did excellent!
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have bfg all terrains, and still run dedicated snows. I have a set of Blizzaks on seperate rims for my XJ for when the snow starts falling. BFG's are good in the snow, but in my opinion don't hold a candle to a good set of dedicated snow tires. The thing I don't like about the BFGs is that my impression has been that when they get some miles on them they start to lose wet traction. I have 8/32 at my lowest point, and 10/32 at my highest point on the BFGs on my XJ and yesterday in the rain I lost traction on a few occasions, one in particular when I was getting on the on ramp onto the freeway...lost the rear end and I felt like I was on ice.

My size is 30x9.50x15
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
BFG ATs work well in deeper snow, but for slush, ice and packed snow dedicated snow tires are WAY WAY ahead of the ATs. The biggest problems with the BFG AT not giving good grip on packed snow is it's extremely hard rubber compound and lack of true snow-siping compared to snow tires.

IMO, if you're saying BFG ATs a great in snow (under "normal" road conditions, not something like 10+ inches of snow), then you've never tried a true winter tire. I drove one winter using ATs, and this winter I'm going to be running BFG MTs - and they both suck when grip is needed I had to leave my Jeep home quite a few times when I was running the ATs - they provided pretty much no grip at all on certain snow conditions. The only reason I'm not buying snow tires for this season is lack of money - all extra money goes to my XJ project.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
IMO, if you're saying BFG ATs a great in snow (under "normal" road conditions, not something like 10+ inches of snow), then you've never tried a true winter tire.
I couldn't agree more with this statement.

I think the main reason I'm pro snow tire is that I've worked in the tire industry for over 10 years, and currently work at a BMW dealership where snow tires are an absolute must if you want to do simple things like leave your driveway in the morning.

Once you've driven on a GOOD dedicated snow tire you'll definitely know the difference.
samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #12
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yes i have noticed a small decrease in traction on wet roads since mine are wearing down too. this is due to the hard rubber i think.

it is true i didnt find they were good on hard pack or on ice, and there were occasions last year where i did take our grand cherokee sporting winter tires with studs since it was pretty nasty out
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
xj BMX xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ah yess I probably should of mentioned that I was referring to snow as in, on road/icy snow conditions on my DD C
Cherokee but we also end up with big snow piles at the ends of the smaller side streets on my works road that i some times need to get through.

So far the only winter driving I have done has been on bald car tires and M/Ts, tho my friend had BFG all/Ts on his yj a few years back and it was %130 better traction that my M/Ts apples and oranges i know, but it was quite impressive.

I may be forced to go will a dedicated winter set of wheels due to price, since my work slowed down to 40hrs money is tight and a set of Firestone winter force tires and a set of stock steelies it still will come out cheeper than just a set of BFGs. Once work picks back up i will be able to get some all/Ts.
Unread 11-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
macktheripper
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have an XJ that has both summer and winter tires. The winter tires are a non branded BFG with studs and are ok in the snow though braking leaves something to be desired. I use them mostly for going fishing on roads that have not been plowed and launching the boat in the mud.
I have a WJ that I wanted to be able to get in the mud to launch my boat and also drive on black ice, unpacked and packed snow and still be good for summer driving. I bought a set of BFG Commercial Traction tires and have been very happy with them. They can be studded but I wanted an all season tire. They stop great in snow and very good on ice. They are even pretty good in mud too. They aren't cheap. $800. installed. If you choose these tires beware that there are 2 models of Commercial tires. You want the Traction model.(The more expensive ones). Only drawback to these tires is they do hum a bit.
macktheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Have BFG A/Ts on my truck and my current XJ. Both sets are worn exactly the same, and on their last legs, but I have went snow wheeling with them regardless. They do great in the snow on and off the road, and I would definitely recommend them for the snow... Just make sure you rotate them often, because they do seem to wear a bit weird.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward; whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you- if I die, you are forgiven;" such as the rule of honor.
Mr_Clickerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.