Snow tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Snow tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
pingi3

I need some snow tires to climb the ski canyons this winter here in Utah. Any suggestions for my Rubicon. Attached is a pic and the data. I'm thinking smaller diameter and thinness if possible on theses 17" rims. Anyone else on here around heber, UT?

image-2087145716.jpg Driveline and Axles: • 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder engine • 42RLE 4 speed Automatic transmission • NP241 transfer case with 4:1 crawl ratio • Front axle: Rubicon Dana 44 with factory pneumatic locker and factory 4.10 gear ratio • Rear axle: Rubicon Dana 44 with factory pneumatic locker factory 4.10 gear ratio • Custom built rear drive shaft with 1330 u-joints • SpeadoHealer electronic speedometer/odometer calibrator Suspension and Steering: • TeraFlex Enduro long arm suspension system with upper and lower adjustable control arms • 5.5 inch Clayton springs • 1 inch body lift • TeraFlex front adjustable track bar • TeraFlex rear adjustable track bar • TeraFlex front Dual Rate Sway Bar System • Bilstein 5100 Series shocks • TeraFlex rear shock relocation brackets • Currie Currectlync heavy duty steering system • Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer Tires, Wheels and Brakes: • Five 17x8.5 inch American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) Pintler wheels in argent • Five 35x12.5 inch Goodyear MTR tires with Kevlar • 1.25 inch wheel spacers • Front and rear disc brakes • Extended stainless steel braided brake lines Recovery and Air: • Warn M8000 winch • Daystar winch isolator block • Font and rear d-ring mounts and d-rings • Remounted OEM front bumper tow hooks • Custom onboard air system Body and Protection: • Front Smittybilt Rock Crawler bumper with d-ring mounts and d-rings. • Tomken winch mounting plate with brush guard • Rear Smittybilt Rock Crawler bumper with d-ring mounts, d-rings, two inch hitch receiver and heavy duty spare tire carrier • Steering box skid plate • Factory Rubicon rocker guards • Fabtech rear corner guards • Rugged Ridge Dana 44 differential skid plate (on front axle) • Xenon 4 inch flat fender flares with modified side marker light housing to accept stock side marker light o Uninstalled: Bushwacker 6 inch pocket-style fender flares • Rugged Ridge black headlight guards • Rugged ridge black headlight bezels • Removable Teraflex mud flaps • Hood lock • Black steel door entry guards • Dome light switch clips • TeraFlex CB antenna bracket • Barjan 3 foot CB antenna

Last edited by pingi3; 12-01-2013 at 09:23 PM..
pingi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I recommend that instead of putting that wall of text into your posts, you simply fill-out your profile. We do look at those here, and it's much easier to read.

On-topic, snow tires get discussed repeatedly every year around this time. Have you done a search? Very short response in case you're really not interested in searching for the info that's already out there: my personal preference has always been Nokian Hakkapeliitta, but lots of guys like/settle for Bridgestone Blizzaks. I also wouldn't really change the diameter if I didn't have to. Changing the diameter will just make your odometer inaccurate (assuming it's calibrated to your 35" tires now), and smaller diameter will probably just make you spin more often due to the increased tire-to-ground torque. Narrower is good, but you can only go so narrow on 8.5" wheels.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
pingi3

Yea that post sucked sorry bout that. The search did help. Now I'm really going to get it going and ask about the death wobble. No not really
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
Donnelly
2013 JK Wrangler 

I know I'm late to the punch here but you can't go wrong with goodyear duratracs. They last forever and are great in snow and on ice. Im from Alberta, Canada so I do see tons of snow here.
Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
pingi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnelly
I know I'm late to the punch here but you can't go wrong with goodyear duratracs. They last forever and are great in snow and on ice. Im from Alberta, Canada so I do see tons of snow here.
That's what I'm getting. Buying tires sucks. If you don't have a friend in the business

T
Unread 12-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I recommend that instead of putting that wall of text into your posts, you simply fill-out your profile. We do look at those here, and it's much easier to read.

On-topic, snow tires get discussed repeatedly every year around this time. Have you done a search? Very short response in case you're really not interested in searching for the info that's already out there: my personal preference has always been Nokian Hakkapeliitta, but lots of guys like/settle for Bridgestone Blizzaks. I also wouldn't really change the diameter if I didn't have to. Changing the diameter will just make your odometer inaccurate (assuming it's calibrated to your 35" tires now), and smaller diameter will probably just make you spin more often due to the increased tire-to-ground torque. Narrower is good, but you can only go so narrow on 8.5" wheels.
Agreed. Though sometimes a person has to go shorter to get narrower.
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
pingi3

My jeep has one of those speedometer computer thingies that I can program to fix for smaller or larger tires. I just need to remember what it's called and read its manual. I'm going with the dura trax actually I'm here now waiting
Unread 12-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

10.5 (265) is narrow enough, but 9.25 (235) or 9.5 (245) is ideal, IMO.

I like Nokian (Finnish) and Hankook (Korean) snow tires when the desired size is available.

I also like Hercules Avalanche Xtreme LT and it offers more tall size choices, IMO. It's also a USA brand made in USA. This is the tire I'd get, if I wanted a dedicated snow tire.

That's ^ if you want a dedicated snow tire. All those are so good you don't need to add studs to them.

If you just want a year round use tire that's reasonably good on Winter roads, I suggest Duratrac (if a skinny enough size), or Hercules AT2, or Hankook ATM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.