smaller heavy tire vs taller lighter tire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > smaller heavy tire vs taller lighter tire

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
TellicoTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

smaller heavy tire vs taller lighter tire

the vehicle is my 98tj, 2.5L, 3 speed auto, 3.73:1 gears and it has 32x11.5 hankook RT03 MT on it right now. im comfortable with the power it has because my daily commute is only 20-30 miles on the highway and ive driven it comfortably power wise across the state before and offroad it has gotten me everywhere ive pointed it. my question is would a taller 33x10 km2 that weighs roughly 49lb (7lb lighter per tire than my 32x11s that are 56lb per tire) drain more power or would the lighter weight of the taller tire leave the power changed if any at all?

Also I have switched from stock 15x7 wheels to 15x8 steelies and now have 15x8 mickey classics and the trans has a aftermarket trans cooler to help with temps, and with the weight of the vehicle on my tires, they only measure 30.5". Not sure how the 33x10 km2 would measure up with my setup but I have drove on 33x12 swamper radials before and it handled them fine around town but that was only a day long trial of that size from a buddy of mine.

2.5 Liter club memer #169-Red Jeep Club meber #491
Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremy93yj To coax out the poop, try rocking back and forth. If that doesn't work, try rocking side to side. Hold your cheeks apart with your hands while you push and scream at the top of your lungs. I also like to put my feet up on the wall and push against the toilet. Another way is to sit on the pot, reach down and grip the bowl with both hands, and push against the floor with your feet.
TellicoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

This is a pretty complicated question. Perhaps the info and calculators on this site could help you figure something out: http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html

I want to say that you'll get better power/response from smaller tires; I'm inclined to believe that a slight increase in mass will be insignificant compared to the increase in leverage/torque afforded by a smaller diameter.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.