Should I go Wider or Taller? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Should I go Wider or Taller?

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have a look at General Grabber AT2 (the new version that came out about 8 months ago).

Look similar to BFG AT, but meaner looking. AT2 lugs are larger, voids are larger. So it looks meaner and is IMO better offroad, but still very good on road. This is what I own now. Previously I had BFG AT.

The BFG AT ride softer. Both make similar slight noise. The Grabber is as good on road and better off road, IMO. Grabber AT2 is much tougher than BFG, IMO.

Grabber AT2 costs much less than BFG AT, and Grabber has even better size selection.

IME Grabber is higher quality, though BFG are good.

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Nirav1122
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Yeah, you should stop going to whatever shop told you that a BB would put too much stress on a ZJ.
Yea they were trying to nickel and dime me really badly, wanted to redo my whole suspension, stabilizers, etc and it would of cost me like 2500. Ha! yea right.

I just need an honest shop in NJ to put on a 1.75 BB so I can throw on some 245/75/16 tires on them.

1.75" should be enough right? Don't want to go much higher, just a tad to get beefier look.

I was looking at those Grabber AT2 too. I think you convinced me and I'd go with those.
Nirav1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

4 wheel drive shops suck. At least all the one's I've ever dealt with.

I had dealings with 4x4 shops on my prior 2 Jeeps. No 4x4 shop will ever touch my current Jeep. A 4x4 shop will screw you in 16 ways and expect you to like it.

The best 4x4 shop I ever went to was semi-competant, but over priced. That was the best of them.

The rest were all very incompetant, one was also dishonest and stole parts from my Jeep and sold them. All 4x4 shops were over priced to the extreme.

Never let a 4x4 shop work on your Jeep.

A good tire store can install a full bolt-on suspension lift (with new springs and whole 9 yards) as good or better than a 4x4 shop, and a tire store will be a lot less money. And a good tire store is a lot more likely to give it a good alignment afterwards.

Any tire store can install a BB and will cost a lot less than a 4x4 shop.

I only let my tire store, a local certified Napa mechanic (at a general car care place), my cousin, and my friend Adam work on my Jeep and my Buick. My cousin and my friend are backyard mechanics and welders who do better work than any 4x4 shop I ever dealt with, snd they only charge me $20 an hour. Talented friend and relatives are often my best resource, but local tire store and Napa mechanic are also good and always available, though they cost more than cousin and friend.

However, my tire store and my Napa car care center are a lot less expensive (and better) than any 4x4 shop.

4 wheel drive shops are a den of thieves and incompetant blow hards, in most cases, no matter what state you are in. If you can find a competant, honest, 4x4 shop, they'll still over charge you until your bank account is empty. They are worse than dealerships.

I'm sure there must be a reputable 4x4 shop with reasonable prices somewhere in the USA, but I've never seen one yet.
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You don't need a 4x4 shop to install a BB.

Have a friend or relative do it, if they are handy with cars. My friend Adam would do a BB for you for about $50 labor, and he's good. My cousin would do it for $60 and he's good. To bad you live to far away.

If no friend or relative to do it with or for you, any tire store is qualified to install a BB. My tire store charges around $400 labor. Very expensive compared to my friend Adam or my cousin Nathan, but half the labor cost of most 4x4 shops around here.

For anything other than suspension or tires, a Napa certified car care center is good. They could do suspension too, but I think tire store less money for that. Tire store or certified mechanic good for brakes.

My cousin or friend are my first choice (for anything other than tires) when one of them is available, but some times they aren't available. So then my tire store and Napa care care center are a good back up plan.

---

P.S. - if they don't have Napa care care places back East, they might have Mobil care care places, which are good too. A Chevron care care place is good too. There are lots of good certified general care care places, but specialty 4x4 shops are to be avoided, IMO.
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #20
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirav1122 View Post
Yea they were trying to nickel and dime me really badly, wanted to redo my whole suspension, stabilizers, etc and it would of cost me like 2500. Ha! yea right.
To be fair, most people never take care of stuff like that, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you're still rocking all original stuff down there. It's been 15 years, and your shocks and steering stabilizer probably ARE quite spent by now. Your bushings are likely dry and cracking as well. Are these things NECESSARY? No, but they technically are parts that wear-out, fail, and should be replaced if you're wanting to keep your vehicle in top shape.

So they likely weren't in the wrong when pointing it out. $2500 is way too much for that kind of stuff though, but that's coming from a guy who does 99% of his Jeep's work himself. Shop rates are what they are, and you have to pay them if you want the convenience of making them work for you; some places are cheaper than others, but they're all rip-offs compared to DIY. Suspension and steering work really isn't that difficult to do.

Still: find a different mechanic to consult with. Anyone who says that a boost under a ZJ would cause too much stress is either an idiot or trying to take advantage of you.

Jeeps can last a VERY long time if thoroughly cared for, and even completely thorough maintenance is cheaper than the car payments that people who keep buying different cars every few years have to pay.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #21
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
To be fair, most people never take care of stuff like that, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if you're still rocking all original stuff down there. It's been 15 years, and your shocks and steering stabilizer probably ARE quite spent by now. Your bushings are likely dry and cracking as well. Are these things NECESSARY? No, but they technically are parts that wear-out, fail, and should be replaced if you're wanting to keep your vehicle in top shape.

So they likely weren't in the wrong when pointing it out. $2500 is way too much for that kind of stuff though, but that's coming from a guy who does 99% of his Jeep's work himself. Shop rates are what they are, and you have to pay them if you want the convenience of making them work for you; some places are cheaper than others, but they're all rip-offs compared to DIY. Suspension and steering work really isn't that difficult to do.

Still: find a different mechanic to consult with. Anyone who says that a boost under a ZJ would cause too much stress is either an idiot or trying to take advantage of you.

Jeeps can last a VERY long time if thoroughly cared for, and even completely thorough maintenance is cheaper than the car payments that people who keep buying different cars every few years have to pay.
I agree with all you say here. My Heep has 35K miles on it, but is 14 years old. I am working at replacing all bushings due to age hardening-drying-cracking rubber bushings.

I'd just add that I'd be wary of all 4 wheel drive shops, unless they have a glowing recommendation from a close friend or relative.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #22
Nirav1122
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for all the info.

I'll talk to my local mechanic who my family been going to a lot and see how much he'll do it for me.

Can anybody recommend a 1.75" BB? Looking to spend around 100 bucks for the parts.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
Nirav1122
1998 ZJ 

Found this.

Thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1998-JE...item1e6ca52b75
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #24
cwadej
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirav1122 View Post
Buy once cry once.
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Nirav1122
1998 ZJ 

So think I should avoid a BB?

I do very light wheeling and it's mostly a daily driver to work
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

get the BB. cheap and easy to install. no extra stress, had one on my ZJ for 4 years or so now.

tire size, up to you. Contrary to what they are saying on here, I prefer a wider tire. more rubber on the ground is better IMO in nearly all situations. my preference is the tried and true 31x10.5-15, but since you have 16" wheels, the 245/75-16 sounds like the winner here.

as far as the BB is concerned, they are all basically the same. plastic pucks to space the coil down. mine are the cheap ebay ones and after 4 years they still give me the same life as when they were new.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #27
Nirav1122
1998 ZJ 

Thanks man. Time to start ordering!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.